M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Roger H
E5

Re: M60 Tanks

Post by Roger H »

Hey Panzergator!
I’m betting the tanks you saw belonged to 1/263 Armor from SC . They kept a company’s worth of tanks at Jackson for weekend MUTA so that the battalion didn’t have to waste a day’s travel to Ft Stewart. They were the roundout battalion for 1st Bde 24th ID then and they didn’t NETT to the M1s till just before they got federalized for Desert Storm in 1990 The tanks they kept at Stewart ( three companies worth) were Desert MERDC, but some Desert CARC examples got mixed in too. They all got the “victory V” on the turret side like their parent division’s tanks.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

That sounds right. I was just happy to be on a gunnery range again.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Panzergator , I still find it hard to believe that Ft Jackson was big enough to have a range safety fan that accommodate the 105 mm gun . But then again they could have been shooting tank-sub caliber . Today, the 120mm safety fan from the range base line on the MPRC at Stewart is about 3 miles into the central AIA on Ft Stewart . There’s a LOT of training area real estate on post that gets closed off when they start popping off SABOT rounds on the live MPRC .
Back in the good ole days they had the old Table 1-8 ranges with old targets ( retired M-47s, deuce and a half’s and M 5s), the old figure 8 moving targets on train tracks and the old wood pop up silhouettes to shoot live . They used to shoot those old 90mm main guns and the fan was only 3/4 of a mile . Today, they have close the public highways on Stewart if they shoot Hellfire and 2.75 on the Red Cloud MPRC .

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Put on my tanker jacket and boots and took a retired corporal major from Household Cavalry to see on a cold winter weekend. It was even MUDDY!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Just finished up D/3-185 AR. Weird how D company looks damn near identical to C Company!

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I like that color. What color, maybe one day I’ll try a new color.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Chris! That's Tamiya NATO Green. The NATO Green in the spray can is darker than the NATO Green in the bottle, so I spray them all first and then do a dry brush with the lighter stuff.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Nice work Redleg. Keep it coming. As for the Taymia NATO Green, I think I felt it looked a little light out of the bottle. Never tried the rattle can. Once you switch to an airbrush, its hard to go back to a rattle can.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I think I just might go get myself an airbrush soon. For a long time I was a pretty dull painter. Not that I'm Mr. Excitement now or anything, but I just did the basic painting and stuff like washes and dry brushing seemed too advanced for me. Not sure if I'm growing as a painter, or I'm just getting older and grumpier and I don't care anymore, but I'm experimenting more.So yeah, I'm thinking an air brush may be in my future!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Most of my micro armor is assigned to a specific unit, but this is Lonesome Sam. He's in the odd-ball excess tank that doesn't fit into any of my units. Painted this one up straight desert tan for no reason in particular.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg, keep em, you might need that last tank for the defense during Armageddon.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work on the M-60s, Redleg! Really well done. I have some M-60A1s I will be painting up as Israeli for the 1973 Yom Kippur War. I also have a few M-60A3s to flesh out my battalion. My good friend Begemot painted 5 for me a few years ago which are now based and ready to go.

Since my entire military service was spent on M-60s, I have a particular affinity for them.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Guys! Pete, I can't wait to see your M60s!

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

You are killing me redleg! I have one hundred ten M-35's and 80 M-978's alone, plus a bunch of other wheels and tracks, to paint yet and already you have me putting road wheels and tracks (590 tracked vehicles to date) on the list to go back and redo. Keeping up with the redlegs is never easy. Or all of the rest as well. Your painting is better than the people in the 1:1 scale!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg! I will see what I can do about getting some M-60A1s painted for my Israelis. Now that the book store is closed, I should have more time to paint.
There are a lot of projects in my lineup right now but I have been known to shift projects around, sometimes too much.

Pete