M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

M60 Tanks

Post by redleg »

I know there are some others on this forum with a special interest in M60 tanks so I wanted to share some pics I took on my trip. While driving back from Arizona I passed the Patton Memorial Museum in Chiriaco Summit, CA. I've been past it several times, but never when it was open to the public. It's out in the middle of nowhere, but I stopped for gas and thought I would take some pictures.

It was closed again, but I was able to get some pics through the fence of the tank yard, which contained several M60s in varying states of disrepair (hopefully being refurbished). It's kind of sad to look at, but what I found interesting was the variety of camouflage patterns on the tanks. The lighting wasn't that great, but the first pic below (tank with the light) is in NATO 3-color camo.

Anybody ever been inside of this museum?

Let's see some pics of your M60 micro armor!

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

That is truly sad. I wish they would restore them to there former glory. There is a museum here in washington, that has I believe and m60 cut in half so you can see the inside.. Right down the center, tip to tail. Its cool but hate that the tank is ruined.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Cool pics redleg.

I've driven by as well but never have stopped. Always wondered.

Agreed, sad they are just sitting outside and rotting away. From what I hear, there is a lot of that going on around the country.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Enjoyed the oics! Thank you.

Speaking of Patton museums, I was privileged to attend the opening day of the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor when it moved into its permanent building at Fort Knox. Much to my chagrin, my impression is that it was a casualty of the disastrous move to Benning, something significantly more dastardly than the midnight move of the Bailtimore Colts to Indianapolis.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's cool, PG. So did they just get rid of it when everything moved to Benning?

You were a tank platoon leader - you got any pics of your tank?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I've posted these pics before, but here are my Micro Armor M60s:

I tried for some MERDC camo, but mostly I just went with flat OD green since most of my personal experience with M60s was with them in that paint job.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I wish I knew. I think they moved all the historic armor and left the stuff on Patton. Such a travesty!

I took few pics. In those days, we had to have pictures developed, and that, being done off post, represented a security risk. I have a few and will have to find them. Don't have any of my platoon, but it was easier to carry a camera later on other assignments.

Despite its obsolescence, I am a huge fan of the M60 series tanks. I have about ten 1/35 scale kits yet to build.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

M60 is my all time favorite tank. Since I never served in the military, mine is just based on looks.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Here is a picture of two M60s I posted a few years ago:

While I was Mech Infantry I worked with armor on maneuvers, either from the 1/68 or 2/68 Armor battalions.. It was the M60A1 in my time. Drove one once. It had a bicycle handle bar for steering.

Hope these tanks at this museum get better care. I would hate to see them rust away.
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a great looking paint job, Silver Lion! Very impressive work!

Way back in 1999 I was a dashing young artillery lieutenant in 3/29 FA at Fort Carson. My first job there was Fire Support Officer for A Company / 1-68 Armor. Great unit! There were always a few under-crewed tanks and during platoon lanes they would usually let the Fisters ride in the loader's hatch.

It usually went like this:
TC: "That ridge looks suspicious. I wish we had someone to dismount and check it on foot".

Me: "I got you sarge!" I dismount and run up the hill, look around, then run back down.

TC: "Thanks, sir. You can bang away on that machine gun as much as you want".

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

That is an outstanding, and enviable, camo job.

In '83-'84, I was S-4 for 2nd Bde, 8th ID in Baumholder. 2-68 was the tank battalion there. Baumholder was a great assignment then. I visited in the late '70a when stationed in Friedberg. Baumholder was a challenging place at that time. I think 2-68 was the last battalion in USAREUR to turn in M60A3s for M1s.

madman
E5

Post by madman »

Well waaayyyy back I bought and painted a bunch of M60 A1s, A2s, and A3s from GHQ (RAFM's casts of GHQ actually) and still have most. I always loved the looks of the A1/A3 turret.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Ok.. I have to get in on this now. Here is two of my M60s

And one M60 kit bash

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Very nice, Hoth.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking tanks, Hoth! Nicely done!

PG, when I got to Germany in 2001 Baumholder was where 1st ID DIVARTY was. It was a really cool looking post, but thankfully I didn't spend much time there. there are advantages to living with the maneuver guys!

Madman, do you have pics of your M60s?