M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: M60 Tanks

Post by redleg »

Apparently, when you get to be my age, a wild Saturday night is staying up late to paint micro armor! I finished up the M60s in desert MERDC for my CAARNG project. I still have to finish the HHC and I decided that I'm going to skip the support vehicles altogether. I ordered the last few packs that I need for this battalion: 6 mortar carriers and 2 M577s for the mortar platoon, the remaining 3 M577s will be the battalion TOC, and then 6 M113s for the scout platoon. I went through all of the pics and notes I have from my time in the Guard and I have come to the conclusion that we had 6 M113s in the scout platoons. Close enough for me.

So here are the fifty eight M60A3s of 2nd Battalion, 185th Armor:

I built a new storage box for this project with trays that slide out, just like for my ACR project. This first tray is the CAARNG brigade and it gives a good visual of my progress so far. 2-185 AR is on the left. Just need to finish the HHC. 3-185 AR is in the center and it will be all green. So far just A Company done. On the right will be 4-160 IN in desert MERDC. So far just A Company done for them as well. The dismounts will be on another tray.

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Nice collection of M60s and stuff. Apparently, you are older than I am because, at 71, I still like to chase my wife around the house and catch her on Sarurday nights. It takes longer now, of course. Every other night I can manage, as well. Painting and stuff is daytime!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Big Assumptions as to what happens when, panzergator. LOL. Great work Redleg, they look really awesome. Can't wait to see them all done.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg,
Awesome set up. Looks great. Might be able to take Karmanaskis with those M60.
I like your unit storage -mobility tray.
Last edited by chrisswim on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

IF your NG unit followed the standard J TOE, your mortar platoon had 2 M577s, your medical platoon had 2 M577s (and 8 M113 ambulances), and your bn hq had S3, S2, S1/4, and Signal 577s, total of 8. That's up from 6 in the H series. Also, your scout platoon would be 3 M113s and 3 M901s or M150s. If the scouts gad M150s, they would look like M113s in the motor pool with the TOW and Kevlar hood stowed. I understand that NG unit MTOEs can differ significantly from the base TOE and that was likely true in the CA case. J series TBs had 7 M88s and the company contact teams each had an 88 and an M113. There were wheels, as well, but you aren't doing those.

Your units are looking good. I like your tray system.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Your M60 battalion looks great, Redleg. I think you got that desert camo pattern down. I like your unit trays as well.

Believe it or not, my final assignment in the Army was at RGLA in Los Alamitos from 1985-87. I remember visiting various National Guard and Reserve units. I went out to Ft. Irwin and Ft. Huachuca,AZ a few times while I was stationed there as well as Camp Roberts.

Pete

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I have to agree with pmskaar. You definitely got the camo nailed. I love how they turned out. Some of your best work yet.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg,
Is that the Chocolate Chip uniform camo the US inDesert Shield/Storm?
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks, fellas! The next unit I'm going to do it 3-185 AR so all green! It will be a nice break before I jump on 4-160 IN which will be desert MERDC again.

Chris, I don't know if anyone had gear painted this way in Desert Storm or not. I thought the US just rolled with straight tan, but I'm not 100% sure. The desert MERDC is close to what I remember the CAARNG vehicles (some of them) looking like way back in the day. The rest were all green. I didn't do the chocolate chip pattern on the dismounts - I went for standard BDUs. Again, it's just my own recollection and we all wore BDUs regardless of vehicle camo. I also changed my standard rifle fireteam stands a bit in that I used 4 riflemen instead of including a SAW gunner. I know we had SAWs in the arms room, but we rarely drew them - we were always running around with M16s and M60s.

Pete, I had some good times at Los Alamitos! I was in San Diego so it was a drive, but it was always fun to go to Los Alamitos, or to DIVARTY HQ for a drill!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

There was a massive camo painring effort in the run-up to shipping out for 1st Gulf. Most units got the desert sand treatment. I think the M60A3 bn from 197th Infantry Brigade from Ft Benning arrived in green MERDC and there may have been a couple others, but that's the only one I know of. That battalion likely got M1s before kickoff.

mike robel
E5

Post by mike robel »

I believe 3/185 was OPCON to 2ID/1INFDIV when we went there for the rotation I was the BDE S-4. They did tolerably well as a TF.
Before Desert Storm, I was teaching ROTC at San Bernardino and became friends with the commander of 1/185 which I think was headquartered in San Bernardino. I lived in Redlands.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

See? Southern California really is the center of the universe! I know they re-flagged a bunch of units at some point, but I'm not sure exactly when. When I was in the Guard in 93-95 3-185 was in San Diego and 2-185 was spread out. Some of 2-185 was in National City, but I think it might have been just HHC and B Company. I live up in Riverside now and I work in Rialto.

Good times in the Guard! They have an organization called the California State Guard (different from the National Guard) that is a volunteer organization to support the National Guard. I'm still looking into it, but I may be too broke dick to join.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

HMPH! 3AD was the center of the universe until the Infantry mafia deactivated it after Desert Storm. And 11th ACR was rifht next door.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Nice work Red!! Digging it!!

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Held a jeep rodeo in the desert and look what they found:

Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.