M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Re: M60 Tanks

Post by panzergator »

Omigosh! It's an M60 SURFEIT!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's fantastic work! I love the jeeps - I'm blown away that you can get that that quality paint job on such a small vehicle! Amazing Cav Dog!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

And thanks for making me bust out the dictionary for surfeit, PG!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It's a good thing my English teacher didn't make me stand up at my desk to supply the definition!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It's a good thing my English teacher didn't make me stand up at my desk to supply the definition!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Just a couple more M60 pics! I have had a productive weekend - in addition to the carrier I also finished up a mortar platoon for my M60 battalion.

This is 2nd Battalion / 185th Armor (California National Guard) circa 1995. I have posted pics of the tanks before, but now that I have the mortars done this unit is complete for my purposes. This is part of my DD-214 project, so I'm only doing the AFVs in the line companies and the HHC gets the command tanks, scout platoon, mortar platoon, and a couple M577s for the TOC. No wheels for this one.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Thassalotta M60s! May be a plethora! Well done on the camo! Now you can start on the same unit 20 years earlier with M48A5s in MERDC desert...

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Gentlemen, I present to you C Company, 3rd Battalion, 185th Armor. Nothing fancy here, just some plain green tanks. A Company and a platoon of B Company are already done - only 25 more to go to finish the battalion!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey PG, I'm trying to avoid the M48s until all of my other projects are done. Hopefully there won't be any M48s on the website specials for a while or I won't have any choice!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Great job on the tanks, awesome job picking out the road wheels.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Looking very nice. The road wheels look great.
How did you do that, technique?
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

They all look GREAT! Keep going and keep posting, please.

I watched GI Blues with wife this morning. M48A1 tanks with gas rack on the back. Elvis was in 1-32 Armor, but the movie put him in 3-32 Armor tanks. Maybe 3-32 was conveniently at Graf or 1-32 was busy drawing M60s.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Hey Redleg!
Very nice work on the CalGuard M-60 battalion. Only one thing missing ………need a big victory V on each side of those vehicles to make them TF 2-70 of the mighty 24th ID (M) when they got deployed for Bright Star in 1985 . Before the big transition to Abrams, Bradleys, Humvees ,Division 86 etc, that was what you saw in the motor pools on Fort Stewart . Ironically, the Guard roundout brigade (48th from Georgia) had equipment painted tropical summer MERDC.
However, besides the 48th Brigade, the 24th had a roundout armor battalion from SC (1/263) . Their M60s were the only tanks in the MATES lot painted desert MERDC.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Guys! It's still a work in progress, but I feel like I'm starting to get the wash dialed in and that makes the detail pop out a little more.

Chris, I just used NATO black for the road wheels - a quick swipe on the top of the road wheels and it doesn't even cover all of the road wheel. The inner portion doesn't get much paint, but it's enough to highlight it.

PG, I had heard rumors that Elvis had scratched his name into the tall brick observation tower at Graffenwoehr back in the day, but I was never able to find it among all the graffiti scratched into that thing. Could be a BS story, but I always looked for it every time we went to Graf!

Roger, that's pretty funny about the different paint schemes, but it doesn't surprise me. These M60s are painted for the famous San Diego tank rampage incident of 1995!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I served in A/1-32 Armor, the company that traced its lineage back to D Company, 1st Mediun Tank Battaluon, 32nd Armor. Elvis was assigned as the company commander's driver before being sent to the scout platoon. I honestly never heard that rumor, and knowing how the Army was run at the time, I doubt Elvis would have had the opportunity to get anywhere near the Graf tower. The post commander's quarters were right beside the tower, if you recall, certainly an intimidating prospect for a graffito artist of any stripe.