M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: M60 Tanks

Post by Beagle »

I must admit, when I saw DD-214, I thought you were doing the Clemson class destroyer USS Tracy, lol. Nice looking Armor!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Were the mortar compartments really painted white? Ours were a combination of the usual interior green and OD. White would have been too high vis. White was used in the '50s and '60s, and in tanks, but white in APCs was changed to a kind of hospital green by the '70s.

Otherwise, WELL DONE!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

LOL. Bill I've seen some funny memes with pics of DD-214, but I never knew the name of the ship!

PG, I painted the interior tan thinking that it would be a good contrast with the exterior green. I wanted it to be recognizable as a mortar track. You're right though - it's way too light. I probably need to go back and hit it with a green that's slightly lighter than the exterior.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Lol, yup, she was a real thing.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/214.htm

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Nicely done Redleg. The new batch looks great.

I use an interior green on mine as well. I can look the colors I have for that when I get a chance. Its interesting that the Stryker Mortar Carriers went with white for there interiors.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I'll definitely repaint the interiors on my mortar tracks. I always thought white was kinda weird - the Paladins and FAASVs always had white interiors too.

Funny story - when I was a young FDO my M577 had the typical light green interior, but it was really beat to hell. All scraped up and chipped. We were turning it in and drawing a new M577A3 (super fancy with a steering wheel instead of laterals), but we needed to paint the old track before we could turn it in. Too easy right? The boys were going to paint it in the evening, but when I got to the motor pool in the morning I found that they had painted the interior brown! Like a chocolate brown! I'm surprised they didn't make us repaint it before we turned it in!

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Painted mine Interior Green and then painted the tube on the way out. But what is everyone painting the underside of the hatches? I started painting the part that shows when they are folded back Interior Green as well but was not sure that was right. I assume it really would not matter since once you start dropping bombs down the tube the inside hatch cover color is the least of your worries. Kind of like M-110's with netting over them. The netting certainly is not going to hide the muzzle exhaust!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

White is used in interiors to make it easier to see and find things. Hatches are either closed or occupied on tanks. APCS are more open, so a compromise is used with the light green. Strykers? Don't know, although I would have expected the light green.

In my experience, the underside of hatches on everything was olive drab.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

As Panzergator said, the underside of hatches that would be opened and exposed to view were all olive drab when I was in Germany, '75 to '79. The inside/topside of the rear ramps for the M113s were olive drab (and mud and dirt) as well. The interior color for the tracks in the mech battalion was the light green already mentioned above.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I repainted the interior of the mortar tracks. I used a lighter shade of green, but it all looks the same on this pic. Close enough for me - time for some fire missions!

On a non-M60 note: what does anyone use for dismounted 120mm mortars?

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Looking good!

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

I just use the four deuces from the US Vietnam heavy weapons pack . It’s a little big, scale wise , but………wth .

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Roger - I hadn't even looked at the Vietnam guys. Yeah, that thing is huge! Do you happen to know how many tubes come in the Vietnam Heavy Weapons pack? I need to do 2 mortar platoons.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg, those are looking great. Super duper.
Chris

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Redleg, I think there’s about six tubes to a pack . I think there’s also an equal number of 81 Mike Mike tubes as well as tripod Ma Deuces .