Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Cama! That is a very interesting story about Canadian Shermans in Korea. The unit I served in while in Korea from 1976-1977, 1/72nd Armor, served in Korea during the War. I remember that sometimes we had to recite some of the battles it was involved in during our Sunday evening Officer Dining In events.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey Pete - was 1/72 AR at Camp Casey back then? I was at Camp Hovey in 1998-1999 (2-17 FA) and I used to run all over Casey. Nothing like a night out in Dongducheon and missing the last bus to Hovey from Gate 1. You had to do the "Walk of Shame" from Gate 1 across Camp Casey and up through Hovey Cut to get home. As I recall the 1/72 AR motor pool was about the halfway mark through Casey.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

1/72nd Armor was indeed at Camp Casey back in 1976-77. At that time there was only one tank battalion in 2nd ID. The battlalion motor pool was along the main drag but the Company HQ and enlisted billets were up the hill. I remember having to climb the 72 steps to go from the BOQ to C Company HQ.

I also remember having to pull Fit to Fight Patrol in TDC on occasion. That was a deal where an officer and a couple of MPs would be out in the "Ville" at night to make sure no problems were occurring during I & I.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Wow that's crazy, Pete. I never realized there was a time that they only had one tank battalion.

When I was there 1st Brigade was at Casey: 1/72 AR, 2/72 AR, and 2/9 IN (M). 2nd Brigade was the weird light/heavy unit: 1-503 IN (AASLT), 1-506 IN (AASLT), 1-9 IN (M).

We called our patrols into TDC and Toko-ri Command Presence patrols. Sounds like the same thing as your fit-to-fight patrols. There was some crazy stuff going on in those clubs!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

Small world indeed! When I was there, there was just the one tank battalion. I have a plaque somewhere that credits me with commanding 1/9th of the total U.S. armored forces in Korea. They should have made me an O-6 just for that but I was a lowly 2Lt. at the time as a tank platoon leader. My platoon was 1st Platoon, C Company.

In another example of the small world nature of the U.S. Army, Chuck Hybarger, who posts on some of the Facebook sites was a Mech. Platoon Leader at the same time I was there. Our platoons cross attached where he joined C, 1/72nd Armor and I went over to the Mech infantry. Passing like ships in the night or something like that.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hey Gang!

It has been over a month since I posted anything on "Pete's Place". Here is my latest finished work, 10 more Shermans for my American forces for NW Europe in WWII.

Included in this particular group are 6 M4A1 76s, 3 M4A3 75s, and 1 M4A3 75 of the early type. The M4A1 76s are older models and the detail, while very good, is not quite as crisply executed as the later GHQ Shermans which came out after 2000. They still look decent and will do fine service on the gaming table when I get around to doing more games.

The 3 M4A3 75mm have the typical split hatch. I modified these from the standard M4A3 by taking some extra British late war Sherman turrets and cutting off the stowage bins on the rear.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Bravo! A real tour de force in painting. Well done.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Very NICE Shermans. Well dine!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Spectacular work, Pete!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Begemot, Panzergator, and Redleg, Thank you all very much.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

So excellent - I’d love to see those in an AAR sometime! Thanks for posting!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Burt! Thanks very much.

Here are a couple more pictures showing my American Sherman collection as it exists. I currently have 30 completed Shermans in this group.

By number and type here they are.

2 M4A3E8
5 M4A3 76mm
8 M4A3 75mm
2 M4A3 Early Type with applique armor and 47 degree glacis
2 M4A3 105mm
6 M4A1 76mm
5 M4A1 75mm with 3 piece transmission cover. 3 turrets have applique armor and 2 have the bulged type turret

Here are a couple group photos.

I have 2 more M4A3 75mm and 1 M4A3E8 that will be joining this group shortly.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Oh man, that is so good. Really nice set up, great look.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Amazing work, Pete! Crazy how many variations there are of this tank. They all look amazing!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Chrisswim, Redleg, and Cama, thank you all very much. I am getting very close to completing 3 more Shermans which will boost my total to 33.