Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you both very much, Redleg and Burt! I really appreciate it.

Burt, my desert terrain is fairly complete at this point. Of course there are always pieces to add as well as more buildings but I can easily do a 4'x8' layout with a fair number of pieces to spare.

Here are a few pictures of my terrain from some WWII games I ran a few years ago.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pete, that looks spectacular!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Lovely hexes!
One of these days I will start building Libyan or Tunisian hexes…. I actually have a bunch of buildings already, and some Commonwealth and Axis forces painted up. Just need to blast out the hexes.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt! I started doing Terrain Maker back in the early 1990s. I have Terrain for North Africa/Middle East, European Summer and even a European Winter set. I still have more pieces that I would like to add to this as well. My terrain projects are never totally done but I have plenty to game with on a 4' x 8' table at least.

Here are a few more pieces.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I spent some time late last Summer and Fall adding some pieces to my GHQ Terrain Maker layout. One of the projects I had was to make a paved or macadamized road for my Western European scenarios. I already had made the dirt roads which can be used for anywhere.

Here are some pictures of a sample layout I put together.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

That’s some great looking terrain, looks like it could be very versatile.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice Pete. Well done.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Bill and Chris!

The GHQ Terrain Maker system is very versatile. You can make virtually any terrain layout. There are two downsides to using this. One is that it is not ready out of the box but you have to put the effort into doing any cutting and flocking. I am as much a modeler as I am a gamer so this part is actually fun for me but maybe not for those that want to do a game right away. The other is that some of the hexes don't have perfect alignment so there are some gaps here and there. I do wish GHQ would address this by making hexes that were all perfectly symmetrical. I think this would solve that problem.

Overall, I think it is a very good product and enjoy using it for my gaming.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

So I’ve never used terrain maker, but I dive deep into model railroading, so I do make my own scenery, but it looks like it’s just foam cut into hexes, am I correct? Could you just cut 1” extruded foam into hexes and get crisper edges for cheaper?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's great looking terrain Pete! I hope GHQ is watching and considering using your photos for their catalog! A couple of questions:

What did you use for the paved road? It looks great!

Are the trees poked into the hexes, or are they separate removable pieces?

If the trees are indeed attached, how do you store the tree hexes?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Bill and Redleg.

Bill, At this stage I have no plans to cut my own hexes. I would need a jig or other device and ensure all the cuts are exactly symmetrical and straight up and down.

Redleg, my trees are inserted into the hex. I am looking at revising this by having removable centers in the woods hexes with a border of permanent trees. When I get around to doing this, I will be sure to post some more photos.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I like the terrain maker system, I think the only drawback is creating highly populated areas. I’ve decided that I’m just going to glue a bunch of hexes together and make one large set piece for a small village or town and that way not be constricted by the hex side facing‘s etc.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I just recently purchased the GHQ publication on creating a terrain boards for Normandy. Some interesting ideas and background, and I’m glad I got it. Was going to build my Bocage as separate pieces but think I will just make them permanent on various hexes.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks, Burt! I have not really settled on how I want to do my built-up areas either with my Terrain Maker. I am currently considering several possibilities including giving each building a base or base a small group of buildings together. I would love somebody to do 6mm cobblestone roads but may have to approximate them myself.

Right now, I just plop the buildings down on the terrain and that is it. I am more inspired by seeing how others have handled this with very lovely rendered little towns and villages. I have no plans to recreate Stalingrad or other really large cities.

The Normandy book is great and I still have the printed copy in my collection. I have built a few bocage hexes using the method described in the book.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I finally finished these 6 GHQ Sdkfz 251 half-tracks today. I have more to paint plus some more Panthers I am working on. The decals are by Flight Deck Decals and really the first time I have used these. I thought they went on very well and you can see the white outlines on the black numbers.