Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you both very much, Hoth and Redleg!

Hoth, the color I used for my Italians is Humbrol #94 Brown Yellow. I also added a bit of #34 Matte White but not in any particular ratio. I sprayed these with my airbrush.

#94 by itself is a bit too dark. On my first coat the color, with the white added, was still too dark. I thinned the paint a lightened it even more and gave it another coat. Overall, I am happy with the color.

Yes, Redleg, what kind of food goes best with microarmor? LOL!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Yessssssss! Great work on DAK armor Pete - the detailing on that Tiger I is insane and beautiful. Can’t wait to see those thinly armored, super-riveted M13s with all their detail…

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt! I am working on them a bit at a time.

microgeorge
E5

Post by microgeorge »

Pete, can you tell me what airbrush you're using and the nozzle size? Also, are there any worthwhile YouTube videos that provide instructions about airbrushing camo patterns? I'm not about to tackle airbrushing camo patterns on 6mm models but I would like some info on airbrushing camo patterns on 15mm models.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi George! I actually am still using an old Binks Wren airbrush that I got in 1971 or so. It is a single action type. I bought the "A" tip for it separately, which at the time was the finest one.

I used to actually do the camo on my 1/285th scale models with an airbrush. Later, I decided I wanted a bit more control so figured out how to paint the camo mostly by hand using thin layers of paint to achieve the same effect. I still base coat with my airbrush.

On some of my aircraft, I did airbrush some camo but also used a liquid mask. That can get real fiddly as sometimes I had trouble pulling the mask off.

For 15mm and up, an airbrush is great to get the subtle contrasts and feathered edges we love. I know there are some guys here that have recommendations on a newer, more modern airbrush than mine. There are a number of makes and models out there but I really don't know which ones would be best for what you are doing. I wish I could be more helpful here. Maybe you could ask your question here, on the Forum, or maybe one of the other 1/285th Facebook sites. Great to hear from you, George.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a few pictures of my 5 recently completed Italian M-13/40 tanks by GHQ. I have 12 more to do for my company but this is a start.

I used Humbrol paints and Flight Deck Decals Italian Tactical Markings for the tactical markings on the turrets. Unfortunately, I had to trim the individual tank numbers off of them to get them to fit.

Image[/url]

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

pmskaar ,

Your stuff is truly amazing. It inspires me to put my brush to model and get some stuff done. Those tanks look amazing.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great work Pete, the detail work is impressive as always! Did you do or Would you consider a pin wash given all the out sized rivets?

I just made my purchase from GHQ during the sale and the bulk was Italian. I have made no terrain for N Africa yet so it is ironic. But I’m looking forward to it!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are awesome tanks Pete! That's some world-class modeling!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Hoth, Burt, and Redleg! I appreciate it.

This is my first foray into the WWII Italian Army. I have much more stuff to paint but at least I have a start.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I just completed 6 more GHQ Panthers a few days ago, including 4 of the newer models with sideskirts. I now have 12 Panther Gs and As for my Late War German forces.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are amazing tanks Pete! And just out of curiosity, are they on the GHQ hexes in the photos? I love your desert hexes, but I don't think I've seen as much of your European terrain.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg! The Panthers are photographed on a sheet of styrofoam covered in my European grass mixture that I used for my European Terrain Maker. I call this my "Parade Ground" and I use it when I photograph units larger than a platoon.

Here is a picture I took a couple years ago using just a single hex for my first batch of 6 Panthers.

And here is one with some of my Shermans.

Here is one showing a recent solo game of Mein Panzer from this last summer.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete, these are awesome. Timely too. I have a bunch of German armor I am about to do.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Hoth! I hope to get my production numbers up this year. I have lots of Germans to paint as well as Italians, British, Americans....etc.

What kind of things will you be working on?