Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Those are amazing. I was thinking of doing the same thing, mi with my PZIII Ms. Have some with side skirts and without.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Hoth! I painted 2 companies of later Panzer IIIs a few years ago. These are painted and basically organized along the lines of 5th and 6th Companies from 6th Panzer in July 1943. According to the book, "III Pz. Korps at Kursk" by Didier Lodieu and published by Histoire and Collections the 5th Company had 4 Pz IIIN (75mm), 4 Pz IV(75MM), and 10 Pz III (50 mm). 6th Company had 4 Pz III (75mm), 7 Pz IV (75mm), and 8 Pz III (50mm).

I already had a company of Pz IVs marked as 5th Company so could use those mixed in with the Pz IIIs. I may do more Pz IVs in the future with the 6th and maybe 7th Company at some point but I have a lot of irons already in the fire.

I decided to do some mixing and matching to get a more eclectic look on the Panzer IIIs. For the 50mm I have both Pz III L and Ms, most are fully skirted but some have turret skirts only and one or two have no skirts at all. For the Pz IIINs, I did the same thing but included both L and M hulls and most with full skirts but a couple with less.

Of course, if playing a game, I can use these for many other Panzer Divisions during the same time frame. The book covers the 6th, 7th, and 19th Panzer Divisions as well as the 503rd Tiger Battalion which is an upcoming project for me. Not the whole battalion but at least part of a company.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Thanks so much for providing the information below. I was currently going to build fully companies of one type of Panzers even though I knew that they would be mixed on some level. Well maybe accept for the versions that are with or without skirts. Like you, I have also thought about ordering some turrets with add on armor to put on the some chassis that do not have the skirts. I like how those tanks look and had read how it often fooled allies to think that is was a bigger tank than it actually was. I definitely need to get some reference books so I could build some companies that are a mixed bag of PZIIIs and PZ IVs. Might pick up the book you referenced in your post. However, If I don't want to be a purist, and because many of the battles in my club are not always based on an actual battle, I guess I could just match up some combinations that are similar to what you have laid out. It would be close enough for a general battle. Understanding, I am aided by the fact that as the war moved on, the types and numbers of each tank, would fall and increase depending on what is available. My plan is to put numbers on all the vehicles that have numbers that will fit on the side.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pete! You are the Panzer Meister! Those tanks are awesome!

Hoth, your tanks look great too! Please keep posting pics of your progress!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg! More to come soon.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are pictures of some of my Panther D turrets. I added the decals a few days ago. These are from Flight Deck Decals and are their black with white outline German tactical numbers. They work really well.

The tricky part on the Panther D is the small hatch and the pistol ports on both sides of the turret. The numbers generally sat high on the turret from my research so on the left side was able to avoid the pistol port and the small hatch. On the right side, this was not possible.

#431 were the first decals I applied to represent 4th company, 3rd platoon, 1st tank. The left side was no problem but on the right side, there was some distortion as the 1 was pulled toward the 3 due to the pistol port protrusion on the turret. I solved this problem on the other 6 turrets by carefully separating the 2nd and 3rd numbers on the right side. This is a bit fiddly to make sure that 3rd digit is properly aligned but was worth the extra time and effort. Sometimes you learn by doing.

I am no stranger to cutting and pasting decals and have done this before. The key is to take your time and keep things properly aligned and spaced.

I am currently finishing the camo on the hulls. The green is done but some of the hulls need another layer of the brown camo.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

You are a true artist. I like the subdued and washed out look of the camo colors. I hope that when I give mine a try, It will result in something half as good. I need to go to Hobby Lobby and get some better brushes. I finished out a good chunk of the detail on some of my other vehicles but I don't think they came out as good as the first two. They should be good after some touch up. I just have to remember that these will be seen from arms length and the detail will not be as visible as I think. Thanks for the posting more of your work.. It really inspires me to push myself.

Also I want to thank you for the tips on the decals.. I have some Panthers to do as well and I would have been frustrated if I stumbled onto the issue with the gun port. I have a several sets of decals from Flight Deck. Can't wait to use them for the first time.

Redleg,

Thanks for your comments. I will definitely be posting more. Just have to get it done.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

have you ever put decals on a PZIII F/G tank. Either like this.

Or like this

Do to the details on the side of the turret, I was wondering if I should even try.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Hoth!

For the tactical numbers on uneven surfaces, I have done some Pz IV F1s and F2s by GHQ using the 3 digit white numbers. I will post some pictures of these in the future but need to take some new ones.

For North Africa, my tanks have single digit numbers for 15th Panzer rather than the 3 digit numbers for 21st Panzer. Of course, if I need to represent 21st Panzer, I will probably just use what I have rather than paint up more tanks.

Here are a few pictures of my tanks for 15th Panzer Division.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

WOW PETE!!! Amazing work!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg! Here are a few more pictures.

nash88

Post by nash88 »

Wow! now that's what I call a paint job. I don't have that skill set in my tool box.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

I think I can see fish in that photo!
Just a beautiful job.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much Nash and 7.62. I appreciate your kind words very much.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Awesome work, extremely nice.
Chris