Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by chrisswim »

Pete, those are very nice, excellent!
I can send bunches to him for painting. I will then post pictures to let you know how he did.
Take care, Pete, thank you for sharing.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg and Chris!

Redleg, The Italians have been on my horizon for quite a while now. Of course I have lots of irons in the Micro Armor fire already so I wasn't sure I needed another full blown major project ..... BUT. I have been collecting GHQ Italians when they first started coming out and have 2 companies worth of M-13/40s plus the other stuff including the individual Italian infantry. Now that I have the Italian tactical markings from Flight Deck Decals I decided to get this project going.

My other project, among the many others, is to do an American Army for Tunisia. I have Lees, early M4A1s, half-tracks and even some 37mm AT guns plus infantry. Flight Deck has recently added the American yellow stars and even flags to their line plus serial numbers and even tank names. I may have to do some Americans soon.

There are also more North Africa British and Germans that need to get finished but I do have a decent Army of each to game with at least.

Here are a few pictures of those guys.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Those infantry are awesome!
I like the Pz3 - 75mm almost as much.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are fantastic Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Chris! I have about 2 platoons worth of GHQ painted Afrika Korps infantry so far. I have probably another 2 platoons "in progress" for the last several years. The Panzer IIIN is part of my North Africa Tiger I unit. My Tiger Is represent the 501st Heavy Battalion which had an organization of 2 Tigers and 2 Panzer IIINs in each platoon of the company. So far, I have a Company HQ Tiger plus 2 mixed Tiger and Panzer III platoons.

Thanks very much, Redleg!

Here are some more pictures of the 501st Tigers and Panzer IIINs

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I don’t want to face Rommel and his good lookin’ panzers. Look deadly.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those tanks are spectacular Pete! And the scenery as well!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Chris and Redleg! I really appreciate it.

Here is a Panzer II. A bit less glamorous than a Tiger I but still interesting.

Some Panzer IV F1s on the move.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking tanks, Pete! Did you hand-paint the numbers on them? Or did you just trim them so perfectly that the decal lines are undetectable? Either way they look awesome!

I like the less glamorous systems, especially for gaming. They force you to think and made sound tactical decisions if you don't have tons of armor and really powerful guns!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

One nice thing about gaming North Africa is that neither side has clear armor superiority, at least using the Mein Panzer rules. Believe it or not, a Crusader II and a Panzer III G/H/early J are about equivalent in terms of main gun, armor, and speed. The Panzer II, while not in the same league, still must be respected if it is able to get some flank shots in.

When I did my recent Russian Front post Kursk game, I gave the Germans veteran status but overall inferior tanks while the Russians had overall better tanks in terms of main gun, armor, and speed but crews were inferior and the game turned out pretty well I thought.

Here is a shot from one of my games a few years back showing some Panzer IIs engaging Crusaders from the flank.

Here is another picture from the same game.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are great shots of the game Pete! How many of the Terrain Maker hexes did it take to give you a battlefield big enough for the game?

I am sorely lacking in the terrain department and I like the hex principle. I have played on the Geo Hex terrain hexes in the past, but I believe they are 12" hexes, and even at that size it took a lot of them to fill up a decent size table.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I have a fair amount of GHQ Terrain Maker for North Africa/Middle East, European Summer which could be used for North America as well, and European Winter.

Each hex is 4" across so 9 hexes would make 1 square ft. if my calculations are correct. I have enough easily for a 4'x8' table with a fair amount left over so could do a bit larger table if I needed to. I remember Geo Hex although I never owned any but Begemot has some. I have been collecting and doing Terrain Maker for over 30 years now.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here is a new project that I am working on. Here are 17 Italian M-13/40 tanks I started a few days ago. I now have a base coat on them. These will be added to my North Africa forces.

Currently I have no Italians for my North Africa Theater. I will be adding some more later.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

PMSkaar,

Could you include the colors, brand and Spec to your project posting. I am always curious what colors people are using so i can try them as well. Great work on your pieces.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the feedback on the terrain Pete. I think I just need to settle on a terrain system and jump in with both feet.

The Italian tanks look great. I couldn't help but notice the newspaper underneath...Guinness braised beef short ribs and micro armor...YES PLEASE!!!