Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Cama! It is good to have you back. I look forward to seeing your new projects as well.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of my Egyptian T-54s and T-55s. I finished 2 battalions worth earlier this year for my Arab-Israeli Wars project for Fistful of TOWs 3.
I now have 2 battalions of T-55s and 1 battalion of T-54s to make a tank brigade to fight my Israelis. In FFOT3 each vehicle stand represents a platoon sized element.

My first T-55 battalion was completed last year and I used a slightly different shade of sand as shown in the last picture. The tank on the left was done in Humbrol #148 Radome Tan while the other T-55 and SU-100 were done in Humbrol #103 Cream. The cream has a more yellow hue to it and from looking at numerous images of Egyptian vehicles it seems to be a little closer match.

Last edited by pmskaar on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here is the comparison photo again showing the slight variation in the sand color.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Amazing work, Pete! Even after all the pics of your vehicles, I'm still blown away by your work!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Very nice work!

Always fun to see the different shades of color in the desert.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Very cool - that cream color is a pretty noticeable difference. I do look variation on the board so a little mix and match, to me, looks cool and more realistic.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Polish GI, Burt, and Cama! I really appreciate it.

Here are some pictures of my recently completed GHQ M4A1 Shermans. I added the new M34A1 turrets with the applique armor(3) and the turret bulge(2).

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are beautiful Pete! I know you've discussed your process to some extent, but how long does to take you to complete something to this level of detail? All the weathering and detail is incredible!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete,

Great looking T-54s, T-55s, and Shermans. You're an inspiration.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Begemot! I really appreciate it. Thank you very much as well, Redleg! I am very happy that you like my models.

I am working on more Shermans and some M-10 and M-36 TDs to increase my American Army for NW Europe in 1944-45. I will post some in progress pictures as I get a bit further along.

Pete
Last edited by pmskaar on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of my GHQ Hetzers. I completed the 1st platoon plus the HQ section a few years ago. I have the 2nd platoon basecoated but needs all the other stuff to finish it off.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great looking Hetzers! Those are smaller and tougher models to paint. Speaking of which I’m looking forward to them issuing the new Hetzer ARV. It probably won’t see a lot of gaming action but I will have to get it...

Question for you - what size file do you use and is it successful in removing those diagonal casting lines left on the sides of some of GHQs models? Up til now I have just painted over them but I think it’s now on my radar and I have to find a way to get rid of them. Thanks!

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Truly inspirational. Well done on all.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt and Cav Dog!

Burt, I use 3 basic tools to clean the mold lines from my castings.

1. I hobby knife with a #11 blade is what I use mostly to clean the lines. I carefully scrape the lines off as much as possible. I don't apply too much pressure as I don't want to eat in to the casting itself. A sharp blade works better.

2. A small flat jewelers file. I bought the one I use the most, many years ago. I use it to file down anything the hobby knife couldn't get. I will use the hobby knife to take off those little nubs that are left over from the casting process. I use the file after that to make sure things are smooth.

3. Fine steel wool. I use this to clean the flat areas such as the sides of turrets, sideskirts, etc., after using the hobby blade and possibly the file. The steel wool will really smooth these areas out and make everything look good. Be sure to wash the mini afterward to get rid of any residual fuzz left over from the steel wool.

On any nubs or other protrusions, be sure they are meant to be cut or filed off. It is aggravating to realize you removed something that was supposed to be there.

I hope this helps but I am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

A couple months ago, I finished up a battery of 5 ISU-122s that had been sitting on nails for a few years prior to completion. I am very happy to have them done.

Pete
Last edited by pmskaar on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.