Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by redleg »

Those are great Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete,

Very nicely done ISU-152s. Ioseph Vissarionovich would be pleased. And that's very good.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

VERYnicely done ISUs!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Fantastic ISUs, love their worn look - I challenge you to add drunk soldiers and looted furnishings to give them that final victory lap look....

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Those looks great Pete! Wasnt the 152 called the "Animal Killer"? lol

Not a ton of ammo onboard so they retire quickly... But they cause havoc on the frontline.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Pete - This stuff is beautiful. Really great work. It is almost intoxicating.

The M4A1 Shermans -- are these the new releases? I gotta get me some of 'dat!

The ISUs -- stunning, frightening, imposing ... all the goodness of Soviet late war iron beasties. Oh, and nicely painted too.

But alas, my friend, those are not ISU-152s. They are ISU-122s. Our gracious hosts provide the barrels for both, and you have mounted the longer, narrower 122mmL43 guns rather than the big ol' stubby 152mm L28.

Still a big gun, but perhaps less useful at blowing down buildings and more useful at blowing up prowling cats.
Wasnt the 152 called the "Animal Killer"? lol
The term the Russian soldiers used was: Зверобой (Zveroboy).

I've seen it variously translated as animal hunter, animal killer, beast killer, conquering beast and maybe some others. I don't think there is a one word translation in English that quite captures the meaning.

If you see the word used in other contexts it is often translated just as "hunter". But it is based on: зверь (zver'), which translates as "beast", usually suggestive more of a brutal creature than a common animal (ie: not a beast of burden).

So I think the meaning was more along the lines of beast hunter or monster hunter, or maybe hunting beast or hunting monster.

There ya go, more than anyone wanted to know just to look at well painted miniatures...

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg, Burt, Begemot, Panzergator, Polish GI, and Mk1! I appreciate it.

Begemot - We certainly do want the "Boss" to be happy .... don't we?! I do my best.

Mk1 - You are totally correct and I do know the difference between the ISU-122 and ISU-152. Having said that, I can't explain why I typed in 152 instead. Oh well. I just made an edit on that so the correct designation is now there.
I will be posting some of my SU-152s soon as well. I did a regiment for Kursk, all 12 plus a KV-1 Command tank.

The M4A1 Shermans are not the new models which I believe come out the end of October. I made a separate purchase of the 2 new M34A1 turrets both with the bulge and others with the applique armor on the side. I did this before GHQ released their 2020-2021 list. I had about 3 packs of the modernized M4A1s with the commanders cupola and just substituted the M34A1 turrets. There are 3 in the lineup with the applique armor and 2 with the bulge. I will be doing some more so eventually I will have a full company of M4A1 75mm and 76mm armed tanks. I would also love to see some M4A1s with the single piece transmission covers for late war. These were probably more common in Normandy than the original 3 piece transmission covers as depicted on the model as the 3 piece with the flanges created a shot trap.

My only criticism of the new M34A1 turrets is that I would have preferred the split hatch positioned side to side rather than front to rear as in the model. I know the hatch could be opened either way but much more often I see the hatch open side to side rather than front to rear. Not a killer but my OCD self wonders why.

On the new M4A2 Sherman for the Russians, I noticed no applique armor on the hull sides. I would have thought they would have had that added. If they decide to do 1 more dry stowage M4A2 with the turret applique armor I hope they will add it to the hull.

I could go on about GHQ Shermans but I will save that for a separate posting later.

Pete
Last edited by pmskaar on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

WWIICentral
E5

Post by WWIICentral »

I’ll add to the chorus of praise Pete, these look great! Very nice job!

Tanner

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Tanner

Thank you very much! It is always good to hear from you.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Several years ago, I painted a regiment of SU-152s for a Kursk game I was doing. At the time of Kursk, an SU-152 Regiment had 12 SU-152s plus a command tank which would typically be a KV type, in this case a KV-1S. Later, the heavy assault gun regiments were expanded to 21 vehicles.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's amazing work, Pete! Great looking vehicles! I don't suppose you have any pics of the Kursk game?

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete,

Nice work. Each posting builds a legacy of excellence you can be proud of.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg and Begemot!

Redleg, I will see if I can find the pictures of the Kursk game we played a few years back. I remember that the pictures that were taken by me were not really good but at least I will try to post them so you can see.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

Here are some pictures of the Kursk game we ran a few years ago at my friend, Scott's, house. The tanks and terrain are mine. Although the pictures are not that good, it will at least give you an idea of the scope of the game.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

PETE!!! That's awesome Dude! Looks like an incredible game! A game o that scope must have taken a long time, or did you guys scale up? What rules did you use? And most importantly, can I come next time? That is quite an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!