Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Beagle »

Nice job picking out the detail on the cage masts.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Good to see you posting pictures of all the models you painted for the GHQ catalog. All high quality stuff, of course. Keep it coming.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Pete- Just looked at your latest posts. Your ships and planes look great. I'm all ears (eyes) if you have any tips. Thanks!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Bill, Begemot, and regia-marina! I appreciate it.

regia, I will explain how I do my ships soon although I don't know what tips you might be looking for. One thing I do on the ships is to try to do most assembly work after painting, especially guns and some superstructure parts as it makes painting the deck easier for me.

Here is a picture of the only Italian ship I have painted as yet, the CA Pola.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I do most of the major assembly first, except for guns, cranes, catapults, and aircraft, then, prime and paint.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some of the WWII American destroyers I have painted. They include a Fletcher(Square Bridge) a Mahan, A Farragut, and an Evarts DE.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Now I have Micronaut inferiority complex. Lol

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Bill! Your Micronauts are top-notch so there is nothing to feel bad about at all. Keep them coming!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Lol, ok. I just primed another CVE, it’s going to be Fanshaw Bay, in measure 32/4a. That’s really going to put my dry brushing skills to the test, or there might be a micronaut shaped hole in the wall. I’m also dragging my feet finishing a Greek hoplite I’ve working on for way to long.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Very nice looking ships Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg!

Bill, I know all about projects that take way too long to finish. I have had a number of them that have taken years to complete and some were pretty close to completion when I started something else. I just moved so have not done any painting for the last 2 months or so. I just finished my taxes and got them in the mail so I am getting very close to getting back to painting again.

Here is my version of the USS Midway that I painted for GHQ a few years ago. I did not have any deck or other markings in a decal set as is available now so I had to cobble the basic markings from some various miscellaneous decals. I am also a moderator on one of the 1/2400 scale ship groups on Facebook and ... It's Flattop Friday.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great looking ships Pete- especially those carriers. Marvelous little things.,,

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

That’s a fantastic looking Midway Pete, screw doing carriers without FDD’s help, lol.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Pete, beautiful carrier.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt, Bill, and Chris! Doing carriers these days is a bit easier with the whole deck represented by a single decal. Believe it or not, I still have some of the old SeaBat Replica decals from the 90s. These were basically clear film with all the markings printed on the film. I may have to do a carrier with one of them sometime.