Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by BurtWolf »

Does anyone ever kitbash the carriers? Not sure on the why or the how, just wondering if you could adjust elevators, add mounts or maybe even tiny vehicles? Never messed with them so forgive my ignorance...

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Wow, naval pieces look amazing Pete!

Impressive!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Polish GI!

Hi Burt! I know some people have done mods on their carriers. I know that the Liaoning Chinese Aircraft Carrier had separate side elevators that you could glue in the up or down position. I chose to glue mine level with the flight deck. As for small vehicles like tugs and such, I don't know that anyone makes them in this scale. The aircraft are small enough for me and still be able to tell what they are.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a couple of the merchant ships I painted for GHQ a while back. The first is a Liberty Ship and the second is a Hog Island Type A. These were actually fun to do and I added a little rust down the sides to weather them a bit.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

pmskaar wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 am
Thank you very much, Polish GI!

Hi Burt! I know some people have done mods on their carriers. I know that the Liaoning Chinese Aircraft Carrier had separate side elevators that you could glue in the up or down position. I chose to glue mine level with the flight deck. As for small vehicles like tugs and such, I don't know that anyone makes them in this scale. The aircraft are small enough for me and still be able to tell what they are.

Pete
There are Shapeways designers, I guess that it is the correct term, that make things like carrier aircraft tugs in 1/285. I have to agree though that the aircraft really are small enough. :)
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Your work never ceases to amaze me, Pete! I'm still following your stuff on FaceBook as well - it's fantastic!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg! I have quite a few 1/285th and other modeling and gaming groups that I post with on Facebook. I also am a member of a 1/2400 ship group as well. Have a great day!

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are pictures of the Wildcat and Dauntless that I painted for the catalog a few years ago. I think that these are very cool aircraft by GHQ but I have no real plans to get into the Pacific Theater at this scale. I do have lots of American and Japanese ships in 1/2400th scale to paint for when I start doing some WWII naval gaming.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking aircraft!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Awesome job Pete, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear they were larger scale.

Mike ENG

Post by Mike ENG »

Pete you do an amazing job painting. Every time I look at new posts they never cease to amaze me in with the precision, detail, and weathering. The ships are really brought to life with subtle rust marks. Photos like these on the forum help stir the creative juices in others. Great work they are a joy to look at thanks post them.
MIke

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg, Beagle, and Mike ENG! I appreciate it.

Mike ENG, one of the reasons I post here and elsewhere is to get the creative juices flowing even if it's my own. I just recently moved into my new house about a month ago so I am just getting back into painting again. I just put American star decals on 12 M4A1 Shermans and am trying to get those done soon.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some Cold War era Russian vehicles I painted a while back. They include a T-10, T-62, and a BMP-1. The BMP-1 in the picture is a re-sculpt of the original GHQ BMP-1 which came out probably in the 1970s. The detail on the new BMP-1 is very crisp and comes with a separate turret.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Those look great Pete!

I will never know why I have a special place for the T-62 tank. But they are cool to me. Probably didnt help after I watched the movie "The Beast" back in the day when it came out.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Polish GI!

I was in the Army from 1976 until 1987. I remember seeing a T-62 at Ft. Knox when I was a AOB and all the other 2LTs like me were all over it. It was a captured one from the October War of 1973 although I don't know if it was originally Syrian or Egyptian. It was painted a light yellow sand and an olive green as I recall. When we went for tank gunnery, the targets usually resembled T-62s or occasionally BMP-1s Yes, I would have to say that the T-62 also has a special place for me as well.