Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by PolishGI »

Love the Admiral Hipper class cruisers! They look great!

The LCS-2 is an interesting looking vessel for sure. I think I’ve seen that one in San Diego once on Holiday.

Who doesn’t like an Arleigh Burke ship? Is that the USS Mustin (DDG-89) boat?

Well done!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Polish GI! I did paint the USS Mustin for the Arleigh Burke II class. It is Hull Number 89 which does correspond to that particular ship.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I recently finished basing some vehicles for use with the Fistful of TOWs 3 rules set. I am getting ready to run a simple solo game soon using these rules. I am working on both Cold War era and Arab-Israeli Wars forces. I have decided to start with Arab-Israeli since I am further along in having the armies and terrain ready.

One thing I do not have, terrain wise, is paved roads for my desert. I have decided to rectify this. Here are some pictures of actual roads in Libya and the Sinai that I used as a reference.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great photos! Very basic looking roads without a lot of paint on them. It's not professional quality, but for quick games I often use black masking tape for paved roads. It's easy to put down and pick up.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you, Redleg! I got into the Terrain Maker system just over 30 years ago and currently have a Europe Summer set, a Europe Winter set, and a Middle East-North Africa Desert set. I built my basic sets in the 1990s and into the 2000s but still occasionally add some pieces that I feel are needed. This week I am working to get paved roads for my desert terrain to represent those paved roads in the Sinai-Egypt for my Arab-Israeli War games and that can also be used for the Coast Road in Egypt-Libya-Tunisia for my WWII North Africa games.

I have plans to add some more paved roads, streams and rivers, and some bridges for my Western European terrain at some point and maybe some additional pieces for Eastern Europe-Russia as well. It seems nothing is ever totally done.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some of my paved roads for my desert terrain in progress.

I used 600 Grit Wet and Dry Sandpaper glued to .020 Thickness Plastic Card as the base. I carefully measured each piece and glued the road to the hex with Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement. These pictures were taken the other day. I have add more road pieces and have muted the stark black to make it more of a dark gray using craft paint. I also need to do the terrain texturing on either side of the road so that it will look more like the dirt road in the last picture.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Nicely done Pete. That’s similar to how I make roads, minus the sand paper. I don’t use hexes for my gaming, so I cut .020 styrene in lengths from 12” to 2” long, in inch wide, varying curves, paint them accordingly, and texture with either ground foam, fine ballast, or whatever is appropriate. I just make new pieces as the need arises, the lay end to end like a slot car track.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hell yes! Great looking roads Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much to both of you, Bill and Redleg.

This road building is a bit of an experiment for me but so far I am happy with the results. I used 600 fine grit sandpaper which is pretty fine. I glued this to the .020 sheet styrene with 3M spray adhesive. In the future, I may delete the styrene and glue the sandpaper directly to the hex. I will try this with my Western European Roads to see how it works. I think the paper backing on the sandpaper is thick enough to allow me to glue directly to the hex.

I used a couple of dark gray craft paints to mute the color from stark black to more of a dark gray asphalt. There is lots of latitude in coloration.

I have spent a lot of time and effort on my hex terrain over the last 30 years. I know it may not be for everyone but overall I am very happy with the way it looks. I am always ready to learn new tricks and maybe occasionally invent a few of my own. It is always great to see what others are doing.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I have flocked all 22 road sections that I have built so far. I have added a thin layer of Ligonier Tan paint to the flock on 8 of them. It will take 2 to 3 more coats to get the hexes to look very close to the dirt road hexes in the picture. I am pretty happy so far.

I will need to dust off the excess flock from the hexes when I am done.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Great roads Pete. Look great with your tanks.
I gotta bomb them or shoot ‘em up.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Chris! Of course I would totally expect you to bomb them and blow them up. LOL!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a couple pictures of some Russian WWII vehicles I painted a few years ago. The first is a Zis-5 Fuel Truck and the second is an M4A2 Sherman in Russian markings.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Hi Pete,

The roads look great! I imagine a bit of work went into those with measurements, cuts and tacking down to the hex. Very nice.

The fuel truck and M4A2 looks sharp!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Polish GI!. I did do some measuring to get these to line up properly.