Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks for chiming Pete. I totally understand that there is a lot of latitude on how things are or were in the field. So I know that there is a limit to how much accuracy I should try and shoot for. With that said, I am one of those people that are in this hobby for more than one reason. I love to paint, I love to play and I love to research. So typically I try to shoot for the time frame that my group plays the most. They seem to exclusively play late war on the eastern front. More specifically after the German units have been decimated down to a shadow of there former self. The battles always seem to be 4 or more Russian companies at full strength going after 3 or so companies of Germans that have a a couple of platoons of tanks left in each company. I think in most cases, the the total vehicles come up to about 1 company or a half company for the Germans. ugh.. sorry got side track. To that end, I shoot for that time period and then most certainly will then use them for other time periods or battles where they might not be totally accurate. I do realize that if I tried to model every time period and every type of vehicle, my collection would be huge and never finished and my wallet, conversely, would be very empty. LOL
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth! That sounds great. It is sometimes good to focus on a particular time period or theater so that we can get things done. Having said that, I have been a bit all over the place in the last few years. On a positive note, I have added WWII Americans since 2016 and have a start (a very small start) on a WWII Italian Army. Of course I do love the East Front as well and am currently working on some Panther Ds for my Summer 1943 games.

Like you, I do enjoy the painting, gaming, and even the research. It's all good.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

I love painting up units in the camo I want and then seeing them on the board. Its cool to me when there are different types of units and not every unit looks the same. I know early war would be more likely to have all, say panzer grey color, but you get the idea.

With that said, I have been doing some base coating of what I am going to call Kampfgruppen Egolff.. named after me of course. Not trying to steal your thread, but thought I would share. Its most of the german early late war stuff I have.. Minor the infantry mind you. Time for detail paint, camo and decals.. I am really scared about the camo. Want to do something similar to what you have done, but maybe slightly different. Fingers crossed. Little recon heavy, but variety is the spice of life. I have a platoon of King tigers and a small company of PZIIIMs. mostly with side skirts. See below for what I have done.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

They look great so far, Hoth! I know they will be excellent when you get them done. Thanks for showing them here, I don't mind at all. It helps keep the thread alive.

I am working on finishing up 7 Panther Ds. In addition, I have more WWII and Modern to work on.

And why not have Kampfgruppe Egolff? Everyone should have a Kampfgruppe, Team, Battlegroup, or Force named after themselves.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that what ever keeps the good threads going. I think soon, I will start my a tread of my own to put my WWII stuff in. Now that the collection is growing.

Nice on the the Panther Ds. The five without side skirts are Panther As and Ds. I need to get more of them. In the future I want to get some PZIIFs and some PZ-38s. Like how both of them look. Like you I have a ton of Modern Stuff to work on.

LOL.. yea, I think its fun if you can personalize it. It helps too, that my last name and a good part of my heritage is German. Although I had to add an "F" to my last name to bring it back to the historical spelling.. LOL.

Can't wait to see more of your stuff. Both modern and WWII.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Hoth, very nice looking battle group.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of my GHQ late War German infantry. I painted these about 7 years ago.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Holy molly those are beautiful pieces. Love the infantry... By the way, how did you know I was going to try to paint a couple of pieces of infantry.. Very inspiring. Post some more infantry pics please.

Chris,
Thanks for your comments.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work you guys! Hoth, your unit looks very impressive, and I too have micro armor units named for me! And I also have my personal HQ with a tiny Redleg figure!

Pete - those grunts look amazing! That's seriously museum-quality work!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks Redleg... Pete, I just looked at your figures again, I can feel the weight of the load that the machine gunners are carrying... Its all over there face.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Pete,
These guys need to get into the fight. For 7 years that machine gunner has been carrying around the same ammo belt for at least 5-6 years. Probably blanks. They look good, real nice! But can they fight???

Very nice. Love the loader, holding the weight for years, except for meals..
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

With your blessing and the idea of keeping this Post alive with sharing pics, I present to you... Progress. LOL. Not done by a long shot.. Still have more detail work to do, but one step forward.

I think I am going to leave my PZIII Gs and My Stug III F company in all Dark Yellow. I really like how the detail work is coming. I got the wheels as well but I don't have the lighting for them to show.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth! They look great so far. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing them as they progress.

I am just getting back into painting and back to my Panther Ds. I will post some in progress pictures on those very soon. My father passed away on March 14th at age 100. I have been busy dealing with that and a couple weeks ago I came down with the stomach flu and had a bad fall. Things are getting back to normal now so I am feeling more like painting. Lots to do.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

I want to start off by offering my condolences. I lost my mom last year and it was hard. Does not matter how old or if you expect it or not. Do things at your own pace is all I an suggest.. Not that you asked. Glad to here you are back painting. I know painting has helped me through some stressful times. Focusing on painting tires has been one way I have lessened the impact of stress and eye twitching. Probably because of how much concentration.

Thanks for your feedback on my work. I really appreciate any feedback I can get. I have to say that I am pretty happy with how they are coming out. Really happy with how I was able to paint the tools and cables. I have tried on a few pieces and messed it up a little. Wrong brush I think. I was actually shooting for it to be a little more gray to the black, but my mixture was off a little. Been a while since I tried to paint some of the smaller detail.

As I get more done, I will try and post them. I am shooting for total completion on the Platoon of PZIIIs and the Platoon of Stugs. So that means German crosses and a wash will need to be done at some point. Please post more of your stuff, both finished and in stages. I pull so much inspiration from you and the other great painters.

Can't wait to get these boys on the table. Maybe in the near future.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Hoth. Here are some random pictures of some of my Pz IIIs and StuG IIIs and even one with some Elephants. The Panzer III pictures are from a solo Mein Panzer game I played last year for a tutorial on the ODGW website.