Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

I see why, because that includes both the howitzer and the AT version. With that, I have two questions.

1. Did you switch the longer barrel to the chassy with the treads on the side? Machine gun looks different than the one in the picture.
2. Did you put puddy over gun root to give it the look you have on yours?.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Regarding GHQ's StuG IIIGs, When the new sculpt StuG IIIGs came out in the 1980s, they came with 3 gun options.

1. 75mm standard (old style) gun mantlet. This is the one shown in the pictures.
2. 75mm "Saukopf" gun mantlet.
3. 105mm Howitzer with standard mantlet.

I am not sure if GHQ still includes the "Saukopf" mantlet with the StuG IIIGs anymore. You can obtain 75mm guns with the Saukopf mantlet by either ordering a whole pack or two of StuG IVs or just order the parts directly from GHQ. Back in the day, I bought a few packs of the StuG IIIGs without sideskirts and they came with all three types of guns and both mantlet types for the 75mm.

The late model StuG IIIGs with the spare tracks on the sides in my pictures have the "Saukopf" style mantlet.

I hope I have been helpful.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

As always, you are a huge help and so did your response. I on my next order, I am going to get a couple of packs of the Gs. Then if they do not come with the Saukopf mantle I will order them as individuals from the Stug IV.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

I think the guns may come on sprues so would be the sprue price but you would probably get about 6 guns per sprue. Keep in mind sometimes a piece or two on the sprue may not be perfectly formed in the casting process. You might call GHQ to confirm that just to be sure.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a few Modern vehicles I have painted for the GHQ catalog over the years.

M=1 ABV

French VBCI

Russian T-10 Heavy Tank

Russian T-62

rhabstclair

Post by rhabstclair »

Maestro work, Pete!

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

That new T-62 sculpt is lovely, and I've always admired the webstore paint job :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are gorgeous Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Amazing work, once again.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you all very much, rhabstclair, Splod, Redleg, and Hoth! I really appreciate it.

Splod, the T-62 is a great sculpt. I only wish they had add the fuel drums to the model but otherwise I am very happy. The T-62M did get the fuel drums in the rear. Oh well. I have some of my own that I need to finish for my 1973 Egyptians.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a few of the jet aircraft I have painted for GHQ over the last several years. My first aircraft, if I remember correctly, was the MiG 29. It wasn't long after that I painted the MiG 15 and F-86. I used I-94 Enterprises decals for these including the flashes on the F-86.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those fighters are spectacular Pete! They really should put your name on the catalog somewhere! I saw the pics of the German armor you posted on FaceBook too. You are becoming a celebrity in the micro armor world!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Nice collection of artwork.
Chris

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Redleg said: "You [Pete] are becoming a celebrity in the micro armor world!"

Now you've done it.

To help Pete keep his perspective on this well earned fame, a reminder from the closing monologue of the movie "Patton":

A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: "That all glory is fleeting."

Redleg does have a point about the lack of credit to the painters of the GHQ catalog models. I've always thought that it was a disservice by GHQ to those who painted the models, brilliantly so in most cases. Giving credit could have been easily done and act of simple decency and generosity. I guess noblesse oblige ain't part of business culture.

Brilliant work, Pete.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Chris, Redleg, and Begemot! I really appreciate it.

Redleg, I decided to just post some of the stuff I have done for GHQ over the years. There actually is a fair amount of it and I will add a few more pictures every now and then.

Begemot. Thanks for that. Now I feel the air slowly leaking out of my head to bring me back to earth with that Patton quote. LOL!