Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks for the extra pictures Pete! I noticed the Russian buildings. ....hey, you make do with what you have. It all looks amazing. Do you always play games based on actual battles or does it vary?
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

rhabstclair

Post by rhabstclair »

Very cool! Are those 4” hexes?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Awesome pictures Pete! I always love the then-and-now pics!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you all very much, Hoth, rhabstclair, and Redleg! I appreciate it very much.

Hoth, that is true. I used pretty much what I had for buildings for this game. Eventually, I want to have all Western style buildings for my Western Europe layouts and East European style buildings for my Russian Front games. I do plan to do some snow covered buildings for my winter terrain boards in the near future.

rhabstclair, the GHQ Terrain Maker tiles are 4 inches across. I built my winter terrain set and the summer and desert layouts over 20 years ago but do occasionally add new pieces here and there. My last terrain projects were to add bridges to some stream/ small river hexes for my summer terrain and added some hardball roads to my summer and desert terrain. I will be adding more pieces to my winter terrain soon.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Very nice terrain and minis, Pete.
Interesting game too, as facing the German onslaught in this open terrain must be quite daunting for the US player! Of course, there is the town, and this wooded area on the US right flank, but everything else is right in the sight of the German guns. The pall of - cotton :wink: -smoke in the pictures shows the German did have some artillery. And that horde of Panthers ( and Jagdpanthers? ) rushing down the road is a sight to behold! Had I been the US player, I'd have gone for a delaying action, no way you can stop what's coming at you. :)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Foxbat!

The U.S. players actually were doing pretty well in this scenario before we called it. The Germans had a company of Panzer IVs, a company or two of Panzergrenadiers mounted in halftracks, plus some other assorted vehicles including 2 Sturmtigers that we decided to add because they were cool. The Germans also had some off board artillery support.

The Americans had an infantry company plus a platoon of Shermans to back them up.

This was a long scenario with multiple commands. Due to player attrition over several sessions, we decided to call it due to the greatly increased work load for the remaining players. At the game's end, the Americans had lost about a platoon of infantry but the remainder were holed up in some pretty sturdy buildings. The Shermans had not yet suffered any losses and had knocked out at least a couple halftracks that were coming around their left flank.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Hoth here again with another question. Just curious if you have done some German Tanks with the bigger splotches of paint? If so, would be great to see how they look and what process you did to paint them. Was about to do some camouflage paint until the townhouse I am renting had a water heater break and threaten my hobby area. All fixed and just setting things back up.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

I have done a variety of German camo patterns for my WWII vehicles. Some of the vehicles do have larger splotches and I did some for GHQ with larger lines and splotches as well.

Here are a few pictures of what I have.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

As always, your stuff looks amazing. Thanks for the photos.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Excellent looking German vehicles? Very nice look.
Chris

rhabstclair

Post by rhabstclair »

Incredible job, Pete! I really like the look of the canvas top of the truck - really feels like you’re looking at fabric pulled over a frame. Outstanding.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are spectacular Pete!

When you put the wash on your vehicles, do you apply it to the whole vehicle, or do you just hit the areas with specific details, like the folds in the canvas covers and stuff like that?

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Hoth, Chris, rhabstclair, and Redleg! I appreciate it.

Redleg, I do a whole wash on my vehicles first. My micro armor wash is turpentine based. The next step is to brush some clear turpentine over the original wash to get it off the raised areas and down in the recesses. After that, I will go back with the wash and hit certain spots or areas that either didn't get enough wash originally or those areas I want to emphasize a bit more.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thank you for the tip Pete! I have just been doing a single wash over the whole vehicle, but it's not giving me the results I want. I know my stuff will never be Pete-Quality, but I'm sure I can get better.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I like the comparison of camo schemes. Masterful stuff all the way around!