Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by chrisswim »

Great looking terrain Pete. Very nice.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg and Chris! This game was played using the Mein Panzer rules from ODGW. It was a larger game but we used the tank rules only. The Russians had a tank brigade plus with T-34s and T-60/70s for the light tank component. The Germans had 2 tank companies and some Tiger Is in support. The tank companies were a mix of Pz IIIs and IVs similar to the structure of 6th Panzer Division at Kursk. Truthfully, I forget how this one turned out or if it even went the distance. We had 2 or 3 players per side with me as the moderator. The Russian reinforcements were kept secret from the German player but had to be committed to an entry point ahead of time. It kept it interesting for both sides.

Redleg, I noticed you are over in Riverside which is just down the hill from Moreno Valley where I lived in the 1980s when it was developing out there. My youngest daughter lives in La Mesa over by San Diego. Do you have a lot of gamers out near you? Here in the greater Phoenix area, we have quite a number of gamers of all sorts although finding people for micro armor games is more challenging. I have managed to get a fair number of players interested in Mein Panzer and I have also played in a couple Fistful of TOWs 3 games that were held at Imperial Outpost Games a few years ago.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Small world, Pete! Up until last year I worked in Moreno Valley, about a 1/4 mile from March ARB. I could watch the aircraft taking off and landing from my desk - mostly C-17s and KC-135s, but the alert F-16s would come and go quite a bit too, and there would be an occasional F-15 or C-130 just to mix things up a bit. It's kind of sad to see how the base has shrunk so much. It's pretty small now.

There aren't too many gamers in the area that I have been able to locate. There are quite a few playing sci-fi games, which I used to participate in, but very little micro armor going on. I see Flames of War stuff in the shops, but I've never seen anyone play a game of it. Could be I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time or too old to hang with the new crowd. They tell me Star Wars is very popular these days.

I used to play in LA a lot. We played Mein Panzer as well. Great rule set. The group dissolved several years ago when the ring leader left the country. I should probably snoop around a little bit and see if there is anyone else in the area that wargames. I haven't gone looking in quite a while.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg! Small world indeed.

From 1985 to 1987 I was stationed at Readiness Group Los Angeles based at Los Alamitos. Since housing was expensive in the areas closer to the coast, I bought a house in Moreno Valley. To be sure, it was a long commute, but I had flexible hours so would typically leave the house at 4:30 in the morning, arrive at RGLA between 5:30 to 6:00 and do my PT, shower, have breakfast and go to work. I usually left RGLA to go home around 1:00 unless there was a meeting or something that held me over longer. If that happened, I would sometimes just stay at RGLA until around 6:00 or so or go visit Brookhurst Hobbies or someplace else in the local area.

I moved back to Phoenix in 1989 and have been here ever since. I used March AFB as my primary medical care center while I was stationed at RGLA since there were no Army medical facilities nearby.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Ah yes....Los Alamitos! When I was in the CAARNG my unit drilled in Kearny Mesa (not too far from La Mesa!) but I made a few trips up to Los Alamitos. Funny you should mention Brookhurst Hobbies too - I finally got over there a few months ago and it was awesome! No micro armor but tons and tons of models and crafty / historical stuff!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

My first trip to Brookhurst was in 1985 and they used to carry lots of micro armor back then. There were some other Hobby and Game Stores in the LA area such as Valley Plaza Hobbies, a shop in Burbank, and one in Long Beach that I used to go to as well. Back in the 80s when I lived in Moreno Valley, I would also attend some of the LA conventions that were held over the Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends.

Pete

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Holy Shat. You guys are not reminiscing about Brookhurst Hobby. My first experience with them was when I started working fore Boeing in Long Beach California. This was December of 1997. I think they still had some GHQ stuff back then. Then I moved away and went about my life. Then around 2010 time frame, I got on a project to replace all my Axis and Allies stuff with cooler looking sculps. So I looked toward them again, even though I lived in Washington state. They had tumbling dice models in 1/600 scale. Easier than ordering them from overseas. Over the years I would buy a couple of sets. Even went to visit them, when I was in Long Beach for business. Was sad to see the GHQ stuff was gone and the Tumbling dice aircraft were stored in the back and had to be pulled out every time I stopped by. Nothing had changed, they still had the side room where they played some games. They even invited me to come back and play the Axis and allies WWI game that they just got.

Man, Small world.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Back in the 90s and until 2009, I used to frequently visit Van Nuys, Burbank, and Long Beach for work at the airports. I always would make an effort to swing by Brookhurst to check things out while in town. It is sad that they no longer carry micro armor but it seems almost none of the brick and mortar store carry micro armor any more. I did get my Humbrol paints and a fair number of books at Brookhurst so it was always a fun stop for me. I also knew Larry Huber and Henry Trembley as well as some of the other guys on staff. Good times.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

pmskaar,

Its a small small world. Funny if we crossed paths and never knew it. I agree with the sadness with how brick and mortar stores have reduced there foot print and what the remaining stores carry. I love poking around stores and seeing what they have, instead of looking on line.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of some German trucks and prime movers. Included are 2 Horches, 2 Sdkfz 11s, 1 Bussing-NAG heavy truck, and a Mercedes heavy Maultier.

Pete

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Wow Pete - those look great! Your work is fantastic!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

That looks fantastic Pete!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you both very much, Redleg and Polish GI!

Pete

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Lovely work Pete! I am always partial to softskins, although I'd love to see more Egyptians from you :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete,

Great looking German trucks and prime movers. I like the variety of colors for the vehicle covers. Selecting colors for canvas covers is, for me anyway, a challenge in guesswork. This is an aspect of modeling that doesn't seem to be given much attention. But your choices work very well.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)