Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Panzergator!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Your (and my) Mk1 eyeball are generally more accurate than you think. Your pattern recognition instinct tells you whether or not something "looks" right. It is a very interesting instinct that even tells you when numbers are correct, or at least tells you to look closer and maybe even count to verify. It is what makes me look closer at M48 turrets and hulls, for instance. This is what SHOULD tell the sculptor his M48 turret needs more refinement, IF hw is familiar with his subject. Inadequate research, including becoming familiar through photo with the subject, is what leads to inaccuratw models. It also tells you when the illustrator in a book took his M48 drawing for ine book, stuck an M60 cupola on its turret and a bore evacuator on the M41 90mm to "make" an M60. It jyst doesn't LOOK right and as you look closer, you see EXACTLY the illustrator's lazya** shortcut. And, of course, the turret isn' t the right shape.

I'm telling you, the excellence of some sculpts demands a higher standard in all of them. I would sure like these details corrected.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I do agree with you on that, Panzergator. Overall GHQ does things mostly right but I wish they could do them right all the time. I know they have downsized a bit over the last few years and maybe they have lost some of the good oversight they used to have.

I remember this saying from my time in the Army. "Why is there time to do things over but not time to do things right the first time" or words to that effect. The problem sometimes though is that if you don't do it right the first time, you might not have the money or time to do them over. In fairness to GHQ, mostly they are good and have corrected some models that have issues such as a couple of ships where the dimensions were off and the Puma and Warrior IFVs. Truthfully, I don't really know what was off about the original Warriors but GHQ issued a couple of remakes just a few years ago. Your observations on the M-48s and new M-60A2s are also noted. Perhaps GHQ might consider a remake on some models at some point but I fear the money factor may not allow it unless there was enough real demand and not just the musings of a couple of old tank nerds.

Pete

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Agree
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

My friend, Scott, recently finished his Modern Lithuania campaign game and returned my Terrain Maker and buildings that I loaned him. I decided to take some pictures of my buildings and share them here. They are from several different manufacturers including GHQ, Leva, Architectural Heritage, Timecast, CinC, and a few others I acquired.

Here is an old GHQ Russian style house. I do believe this one is no longer being produced but it has a lot of character even though some of the sculpting is not quite as crisp as those produced now. I got this one at the Flea Market at Historicon and repainted it.

Pete

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Buildings look as good as your tanks!

I can’t follow the Sherman versions very well, mostly because I have never focused in on them. For a long time, to me a Sherman was a Sherman. Have to admit it’s hard to discern some of the differences. But discussions like this - with references - help pique my interest. Thanks to everyone for interesting postings!

And keep posting those Shermans!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Damn Pete! That house is awesome!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you all very much, Burt, Cama, and Redleg. Here is a church by Architectural Heritage. I picked up some of their items at Historicon many years ago and I believe GHQ had some of their items for a while if I remember correctly. I painted this one about 15 years ago. It is a nice piece but I may create a base for it at some point. JR miniatures bought the line but I already had most of the various buildings they made. They are probably just a tad on the smaller side of 1/285th scale buildings.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Nice looking building and great job painting it up. Two questions: where were you keeping this; and, no stained glass windows?

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Dog Smack
E5

Post by Dog Smack »

Pete,

Your stuff is always inspirational. Always love seeing your latest posts even if they are older!

Have you purchased US117? The description is an M4A3 but the picture shows a cast hull. So I'm bit confused as to what the actual content is. I'm hoping its just a typo.

Steve

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Begemot! You mean that you have not seen this one before? I guess I just didn't think to show it during one of our show and tell sessions.

I admit to having no great desire or ability to paint stained glass windows, in this scale or any other for that matter. I do know some people that paint frescos on their Russian churches and do excellent work.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Dog Smack and Cama. I thought the Architectural Heritage models were pretty decent overall. Most are designed for the Napoleonic period and reflect German and Austrian buildings primarily. I have the Granary at Essling which I may paint up one of these days. It is a fairly large piece.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a couple of more GHQ Russian style buildings. I painted these over 10 years ago and they are still available. I love the detail on them.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here is my latest project. I am painting 12 of the new US118 M4A1 Shermans. I will be adding these to my other M4A1 Shermans. My goal is to first get a full company and then maybe complete a second company.

Here are a few WIP pictures I took today. The base coat is Humbrol #155 Olive Drab mixed with some #34 Matt White for scale effect.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Looking good Pete! You're using a spray brush for those?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com