Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pvt64
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pvt64 »

Thanks Pete!

Tom

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

You're welcome, Tom!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Back in 2000, I painted a Panzer IVH Company as depicted in the GHQ Combat Command. My very good friend, Begemot, took the original pictures used on the first GHQ Panzer IVH Combat Command and the T-34/85 Combat Command which I painted as well.

Here are some pictures of my GHQ Panzer IVHs. I used the GHQ white tactical numbers on these. I don't recall where the crosses came from exactly. Lately I have been using I-94 but these may actually be some old Goblintooth that I used back in the day. The camo is airbrushed. I still use my old Binks Wren airbrush for my airbrushing. These pictures were taken by me a few days ago. These are the older Panzer IVHs that GHQ did back in the late 70s or early 80s. They are still very decent models.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

You know that feeling you get when you study Pete's work closely and then use the same techniques to create your own museum quality micro armor? Yeah, me neither. That's spectacular work, Pete! I'm still scared to try decals on anything this small.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg! I sort of have a love-hate relationship with decals at this scale. On the one hand, they can be a bit fiddly at times. Trying to get the decals in the exact right place and making sure they adhere properly is the fiddly part. On the other hand, when you do have them applied and in the right place and they look as if they were painted .... I love that part and find it worth the effort. I understand those that may not share my views.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

God your stuff is so good Pete. I grew frustrated with decals and I have abandoned them. I found that I could not get the finish right so it just looked out of place when it dried (shiny etc). I wish some of the decals came in “worn” looking numbers and lettering. To match worn look of AFV... Anyway gorgeous work as usual!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Very nice paint job. Artistry.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt and Panzergator!

Burt, be sure to put a gloss coat under the areas where you plan to put decals. For this purpose, I use Micro Coat Gloss from Microscale Industries. It is fairly thick so I use a bit of water to thin it down and put on a couple of coats at least. This helps the decal adhere better to the model and helps to prevent silvering. Silvering is where the decal film still shows through. The goal is to prevent that and make it look like it was painted on by a little 1/4 inch high soldier properly supervised.

I also use 2 decal setting solutions as well. I apply Micro Set to the decal once I have it in place. This helps to soften the decal a bit and help with adhesion. I use a fine synthetic brush and sometimes a toothpick to get the decal in the exact spot I want. I use Micro Sol as the next step. The Micro Sol is stronger than the Micro Set and helps snug the decal in place especially if on a non smooth surface. It also makes the decal film virtually invisible.

The final step, once everything is dry, is to put Dullcoat on the model. For this, I mix some Testors Matt Lacquer with their Lacquer Thinner and spray it through my airbrush. This gives me better control than spraying out of a can.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of my Egyptian SU-100s and BRDMs, with one of my BTR-152s that was painted by my good friend, Begemot.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Wow! That's great work! Fantastic, Begemot!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Love the company of Pz-IV , ... call the Thunderbolts.
Need to make those nice looking tanks scrape metal.
Pete, look great. But I usually see them elsewhere.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg and Chris! I do post on several different Facebook forums as well as here on the GHQ Forum. I have been on this forum the longest and want GHQ to succeed in their business. I try to do my bit.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Great looking Egyptian vehicles. And good photos as well. I'd almost forgotten about the BTR-152s.

And ... it's good to be back. Thanks.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Extraordinary work Pete. Really lovely stuff. You and Bege create wonderful and inspiring work. Do you ever kit bash?

Just one day, briefly, you will have to post a mini you really messed up just to give us hope - haha!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Begemot and Burt! Begemot, it is great to have you back!