Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth! That sounds great! I now have at least 2 players signed up for my game at Sand Wars - you and Redleg. I really look forward to meeting you guys in person.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Yea, the same for me. I have not met Mike in person so it will be great to meet both of you over micro battlefield. FYI, I have never tried the rule set before. I am going to try to read up on it and get some clue.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

This is going to be so awesome!

And the Prince of Wales looks fantastic Pete! Let me know when you schedule a naval game at a con so I can come play with your ships!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

We did another game of Cruisin' for a Bruisin' at Imperial Outpost Games in Glendale, Arizona this last Saturday. We used the Mein Panzer rules from ODGW.

This time we had 4 players including myself. Matt C. and Richard F. took the British while John C. and I took the Germans. We played through 5 turns and then decided to call it. The result was determined to be a British marginal victory with control of the crossroads in the village. The Germans did inflict higher casualties on the British but not enough to make up for the crossroads.

I think everyone had a good time. Matt C. had played once before last October and Richard F. had never played but they plan to play again.

Here are a few pictures from the game.

Here is the terrain layout shown before the start of the game.

Here is an overview of the action a few turns into the game. The Germans attempting to enter the town have been knocked out but there is a company on the hill that is making things not so easy for the British.

A view from the German side.

Another view showing the surviving 1st company HQ tank in the foreground while the surviving 3rd platoon is on the hill outside of the village. The white cotton puffs indicate knocked out tanks while the black smoke indicates tanks that have been "brewed-up".

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a few HQ vehicles. I did this by the use of aerial recognition symbols/flags. For games it makes it a bit easier to see where the HQ vehicles are to avoid confusion.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:14 am
I did this by the use of aerial recognition symbols/flags.
No Facebook issues here! :D

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg!

I hope there are no issues here, Gazza. These are historical markings and people should see them as such... hopefully. As you know, I decided to take down some of the pictures from one of my posts on a Facebook page when the discussion became centered on the symbol and not the history or the modeling. It was not my intent to cause the controversy that seemed to have been created. I did not want to create a problem for that Facebook site either. I still do have these images up on a couple of places but there has not been a big deal made about them.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:16 am
I hope there are no issues here, Gazza.
Same here. I'm fairly sure that I've posted tanks with the same flag on both here and in the same FB group without any adverse comments. Indeed, when I saw the first comment about your panzers I almost posted a comment joking about how the RAF roundels offended me!

<EDIT>
Yes, I thought so, one of the photos of a Hanomag and Borgward IV from the same group! https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=7810978415596519
The post generated a few likes but no comments (adverse or not) - go figure.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Wait, I think I might have missed something. Pete, I see your response to Gaza but don't see what he posted. maybe I have to go farther back.. With that said, it really interesting that people would be upset about markings on a vehicle used for historical battle re-enactment. Too Soon?? It my opinion, if you sanitize everything, at some point nothing remains of how things really were and then we loose the reality of things... slowly over the time, the memory only remembers the sanitized version and then it never happen.

Moving on, where did you get the German areal markers? Are they just Flight Deck Decals and laid over the back, or are they mounted to something and then draped over the vehicle?
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:38 am
Pete, I see your response to Gaza but don't see what he posted.
It's the Mortis57 post just above his response. Basically, Pete posted the photos in a Facebook group and one or two group members said that other FB members might have an issue with the swastikas. So Pete removed the photos with the offending symbols on. I've posted similar photos there without any real issue - although one IRL friend said that Facebook itself might have a problem with them and either remove them or ban me. Nothing ever came of it though.

To answer your second question briefly until Pete answers for himself. No, they're decals from I-94 and are applied directly to the model. He went on to state that he found them slightly thicker than the other decals and didn't need to be applied to foil (or something similar). I, myself, have used them in both ways. I apply them to foil if I want to fold them up for example.

Hope that helps.
Gazza (AKA Mortis57) ;-)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

As Gazza said, the aerial recognition flags are by !-94. I have both the ones by Flight Deck and I-94. In this particular case, I prefer the I-94 ones due to the thicker backing but the color and clarity are slightly better in my opinion. I started with the Flight Deck Decals and used red painted paper as a backing as an experiment. The white part of the flag tended to go more gray when I did this. I rectified this a bit by adding a spot of white paint underneath where the white part of the flag would go. I then looked at my I-94 flags again and decided to just put them on. It seemed to work fine in this case.

Here are two more pictures.

As you can see, the color of the flag and the clarity of the symbol are really good on these. Not all the flags on the sheet are usable in 1/285th scale. The ones I used here come 6 to the sheet but grouped all together. You get 2 sheets in a pack so 12 flags of this size. I just received my order of 2 packs from I-94 at $3.00 per pack so really not a bad price at all.

I do look forward to seeing you and Redleg at Sand Wars. I will have to figure out how to keep my Mikes straight. LOL!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:28 pm
Not all the flags on the sheet are usable in 1/285th scale. The ones I used here come 6 to the sheet but grouped all together. You get 2 sheets in a pack so 12 flags of this size.
I've a couple of the I-94 Flag Packs (German and Russian). I've had the German flags for the longest and dimension wise they aren't as wide as most of my other I-94 decals (such as these Russian sheets). I suspect that the German sheet may have had a revamp as there isn't a size that has 6 per sheet - well unless you count the two reversed flags on the third row down.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Gazza

Just for clarification, there are several sizes of the flags that come on the sheet but some of them are not suitable for 1/285th scale. I meant to say that the ones I used from the sheet are the 6 second smallest flags which are grouped 6 together on the sheet. The larger flags are more for 1/100th to 1/72nd as listed on the bottom of the sheet. I am not sure if the smallest flags are usable for 1/285th scale as a smaller version of the one that I used.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Hi Pete,

I've just checked the I-94 website and yes they have a new version of their GR-105. My old version doesn't have any of the tricolours or maltese crosses. Although it does have a few reversed flags.

<EDIT:> I notice that the blurb on the sheets mentions 1/432nd (or 4mm) so I suspect that the smallest flags are for that scale.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Looking at your German sheet, Gazza, it may be an older one but the decals look about the same. The ones I got recently also have some German Balkenkruez emblems and some red/white/black tricolor flags as well. The layout on yours is definitely different.