Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

OMG.. I am deep in it. I have several packs of Fallshirmjagers that will be my first infantry painted. As for Armor I have the following.

15 PZ IV Hs with side skirts.
10 Tigers that I might strip and repaint.
10 PZIII M with side skirts
5 PZ III Ms
10 PZIII Js
10 PZIII F/Gs
15 Panther Gs with side skirts.
5 King tigers
5 Jagpanthers
4 pack 40s
5 Stugs F
3 packs of SKKFZ 222 and 223
5 Panther A and D
10 SDKFZ 251/D2 and 9
3 packs of SDKFZ 234/1 and 3
20 SDKFZ 251/D 1

its a huge undertaking, but We shall see. Right now , they will all be painted in Dark Yellow and then some will remain that color and others will get some kind of camo. I am going to try and mimic what you have done.. Fingers crossed
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Pete- Your tanks as always look great! You mentioned awhile back that you use panzer gray for the tracks on your German tanks. Do you use the same color on your Italian tanks? All tanks?

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Pete, just incredible camo!
Truly an inspiration as to what can be done.
Mick.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Regia-Marina! My tracks are typically painted a dark rust color, a mix of Humbrol #98 Chocolate Brown plus #186 Red Brown. For tanks and vehicles with rubber coated tracks, I use Humbrol #67 Tank Gray which is also Panzer Gray.

Thanks very much 7.62! Much appreciated.

Hoth, that is an impressive list of projects awaiting you attention indeed.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks, I appreciate it! My entire Italo-German tank force has tracks of a different color. Your vehicles are the gold standard.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete, Thanks, it is an impressive list, that I have had not time to even get past priming a small percentage of the units. Plus, My last order, two of the king Tigers had week barrels and all of the chassis had flash on the rear deck. One of the PZ III Ms with side skirts had a broken barrel and one of the recon guns were week as well. Awaiting GHQ to get back to me on how they will move forward with that. They always do great customer service. If you think my WWII unfinished list is impressive, don't even get me started on the modern stuff.

Once I get back to it, I hope my German camo comes out looking partially as good as your stuff. I got the vehicle numbers and German crosses for them ready to go.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Hoth! I will be doing some more camo on some Panthers and maybe a couple Tiger Is later this week. I will post some in-progress pictures here.

Here are some of the things on my to do list.

1. 12 more M13-40s for my North Africa Italians.
2. 7 Panther Ds.
3. 3-4 Panther As and Gs to finish 3rd Platoon of 1st Company.
4. 10 Tiger Is. These will represent 503rd Pz Abt.
5. 6 Crusader IIIs. These have been languishing on nails for a while. I need to finish my Squadron for North Africa.
6. 10 T-34 1943. I have 22 done already. This will give me a full battalion with Battalion and Brigade HQ tanks.
7. German Halftracks. I have a bunch of Sdkz 251 and some 250 halftracks in the works. I need to finish some more for my Mid to Late War Germans.
8. Bergepanther D. This model by 2D6 is almost done. I just need to finish it.
9. 6 T-62s for my 1973 Egyptians. These are for Fistful of TOWs 3.
10. Egyptian Infantry for 1967/73. For these I used GHQs 1990 era Modern Russians and Cold War Heavy Weapons, They look reasonable to represent these.

There is plenty more that I have started but I think getting these done is already an ambitious project so I will leave it here.

Hoth, I would love to see some pictures of your projects when you get them done .... or even in progress.

Have a great day!

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete, I will try and post some stuff that has base coat and treads, either tonight or tomorrow

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That sounds great, Hoth!

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Just a quick question on the PZIII. I noticed that the Dark yellow was used in 1942 and on. I have a bunch of PZIII F/Gs and I know they operated 41 to 43 with the 50mm gun. So would agree it would be historically correct for them to be painted in Dark Yellow or should they be Panzer Grey?

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Dunkelgelb became the official color for German vehicles in February 1943. Prior to that vehicles were generally painted in dark gray although later, vehicles heading to Africa were painted in sand.

For the Panzer IIIs, most were originally painted in overall dark gray except for any that were manufactured after February 1943 which means that only some Panzer IIINs would be in Dunkelgelb but pretty much everything else was painted dark gray at the Factory. Panzer IIIN production went from June 1942 to August 1943 according to the "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two". It is a good source of Production numbers for most German tracked and half-tracked vehicles of many types and armored cars as well. It also gives the date a particular vehicle entered production and when production ceased.

In 1942 there were attempts at lightening the dark gray with various methods, the simplest being mud applied on the vehicle and allowed to dry. Some vehicles are seen with the dark gray base and either green or sand or both applied over the dark gray in swatches or lines leaving some of the dark gray but breaking up the vehicle outline. I have also heard that some vehicles, originally bound for North Africa, ended up in Russia in their overall sand color schemes.

Most pictures I have seen from 1943 show Panzer IIIs painted in Dunkelgelb and then having the green and brown camo applied. I would presume that if any short barreled Panzer IIIs were still around, they probably also got repainted from Dark Gray to Dunkelgelb but there may have been and probably were some exceptions. The same would be true for any older Panzer IVs and Panzer IIs as well.

Hopefully, I have been somewhat helpful.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those Shermans and Panthers look spectacular Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg! I am currently working on more Panthers including a 2D6 Bergepanther D.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete, I was looking through the Tank Encyclopedia site and I think it matches what I read from another source. The Dark Yellow [Dunkelgelb] was applied from 1943 on. I am sure that this was not always originally from the factory, but applied in the field. I think I read that as well, somewhere. Getting back to Tank Encyclopidia, they state the following for the "F" model.

Later Panzer III Ausf.F were fitted with 5 cm Kw.K 38 L/42 guns. An armoured vent was fitted to the roof of the turret and rear engine deck to enable it to cope with the dust and heat of the North African desert. It was paint it in dark yellow (dunkelgelb). They were used on the Eastern Front.

This seems to match the Tamiya model, for a PZIII L, having paint options for Dark Yellow for an African campaign version and Russia as well. So I think I am going to paint my PZIII F's and my PZIII Ms in a dark Yellow and Dark Yellow Camo pattern, for eastern front campaigns. I also read, from Tank Encyclapidia, that the PZIII Js had a panzer grey scheme, for one of the units, in russia. So I think I might paint them Panzer Grey.

Did you read the same thing? I am thinking that if you are modeling a battle after 1943, that Dark Yellow and Dark Yellow with camo is pretty accurate.

Also sorry I have not pasted anything yet... I have been batteling covid for the last two weeks.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Yes, if you are doing Eastern Front battles from 1943 on then Dunkelgelb would be predominate even for older vehicles. As I think I mentioned, I did use some North African sand colored Panzer IIs and IIIs for a 1942 Kharkov scenario. I had heard from somewhere that some of the Panzers originally bound for North Africa were rerouted to the Russian Front. Beyond that I don't know too much about it. I had no big problem using my North Africa Panzers for a Russian Front game.

I will be painting some more early war German vehicles for Barbarossa. I have a few German vehicles in Panzer Gray including a company of Panzer IV F1 and F2s. I also have some Panzer IIIs painted for 1941-42 as well but need more for a good game.

Right now, I am working on some mid-war Panther Ds and just finished a Bergepanther D from 2D6.