Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by BurtWolf »

Do you do any winter camo schemes? If so, what’s your process?

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Burt!

Winter schemes. I have not done any .... yet. I am considering doing some Germans and Russians in winter schemes at some point but have so much other stuff on the plate right now, I don't know when. I may consider doing a couple at some point just to see how they turn out.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

My Tigers are done .... Finally! Here are a few pictures of my completed GHQ Tiger Is. This was a project that took way too long but I am very happy that they are now finished. The tactical numbers and the crosses are by Flight Deck Decals. I had to do a little cutting and pasting to get the Company HQ tank 200 done as the Company Numbers only came as 201 and 202. I used a second decal sheet for the tactical numbers to get the third number that goes on the turret stowage bin in the rear of the turret as well.

Image[

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pete, those tanks are spectacular!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

As usual, you do not disappoint. They look great. The decals are incredible. I am in the process of painting treads and tires on all my base coated tanks.. I am going to leave a few in Dark Yellow and most in camo. That way it will look like some replacements right off the trains... Not sure if I will do them by unit or here and there. I have been thinking of putting the numbers on the back as well. They look great. Might also do the double crosses on the back of some of the tigers stowage bins at the back of the tank. Looks like I need to order more decals..

Mike
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

P.S. Pete,

Love the kill rings on the barrel, did you get them at Flight Deck as well?

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice camo, I also like the kill rings.
Chris

rhabstclair

Post by rhabstclair »

That is some serious maestro work, Pete! So do you use Vallejo paints? And what do you use for a wash? Oh… and what kind of varnish do you use so they get that great finish? If you don’t mind me asking… :D

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Gorgeous miniatures! I really like your care for details a lot. That's a lot of work, I guess (all these rubber rings around the road wheels :shock: ), but the result was well worth it. 8)

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Man those are some beauties! Fantastic detail work Pete!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you all very much, Redleg, Hoth, Chris, rhabstclair, Foxbat, and Burt. I really appreciate it. These Tigers, in particular, were a lot of work for me.

rhabstclair - I used Humbrol paints on these. Just about all my micro armor is painted with Humbrols. I guess I am just an old school kind of guy. The wash is a dark brown turpentine based wash that I mixed myself using Humbrol #98 Chocolate Brown and #33 Matt Black to make it a really dark brown. The turpentine allows you to play with it for a really long time before it sets. For my varnish, I use Testors Matt Clear coat. I spray this out of my airbrush.

Hoth - The kill rings are by I-94 Enterprises and come on one of their Russian sheets. I admit to a little artistic license here as my Tiger #211 has kill rings on the barrel. The real one does not - at least at the time of the photograph. For gaming purposes, kill rings are a great way to identify which tanks might be aces and have enhanced capabilities. Below is a picture of the real Tiger 211

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Great looking Tigers and a good number of comments (a massive number of comments for this site. actually) and well deserved. I must confess that I didn't register the kill rings on the Tigers' barrels when when you showed them to me the other day. I'm impressed with your patience with the decal work. I get stressed just trying to get numbers horizontal on turret sides. Getting kill rings to line up? Not going there.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Begemot! I appreciate it.

I find decal work both compelling and a bit frustrating at times but rewarding in the end. I am also grateful to both Flight Deck Decals and I-94 Enterprises for providing some excellent decals that allows me to do this. Recently, I picked up some American tank nicknames which I may use on some future Shermans to give some a bit more distinction. The new Russian tactical numbers by Flight Deck and the ones already produced by I-94 and even the old GHQ Russian numbers do add at least a degree of individuality to the otherwise green "Russian Hordes".

Flight Deck has gone the extra mile on their British markings by adding not only the tactical markings but also brigade numbers and even bridge classification markings to their growing line. Churchill markings are also now available. I may need to get some of those but now I am getting way ahead of myself.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Back in the day, I painted a number of models for GHQ that they posted in their catalog. It was an interesting time for me as I had to get out of my comfort zone and figure out how to best represent the various types of models that I did for them.

This included researching the subjects and trying to figure out how to paint them to the best of my ability. Overall, I was happy to do it and it did improve my painting skills as well as creative skills on how to address certain things on the models such as decals.

Here are a few of my aircraft that I did. The ones pictured here are probably my favorites in terms of how they came out.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Your work is such a an inspiration to me. Love the aircraft and your mastery of the craft. A lot of the old guard has dropped off, hope you keep posting.