Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth and thank you. I will certainly be adding updates on my progress on this project as well as others I will be working on in the future.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Looking great Pete, and the camo is going to come out very well. I’m always torn because sometimes the camo (when I do it - admittedly I’m amateurish) blocks the models’ details especially on the smaller tanks.
I just got an order in from 2d6 and got the same Bergpanther. It’s a nice model. I picked up some Soviet naval infantry too and am going to see how they turn out.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt! The 2D6 Bergepanther D is a very nice model to be sure. I actually did get a few samples of 2D6 Soviet Naval infantry. They do have some nice poses in their infantry line although they size a bit smaller than the GHQ individual infantry which is slightly larger than true 1/285th. I even have a sprue of Soviet female snipers which I may have to paint up one of these days. Lots to do.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are three pictures showing a close-up of a 2D6 WWII Russian light machine gunner, an ammo bearer, and one of my integrated Russian infantry stands with the 2 2D6 figures at the top and the 2 GHQ Russian infantry figures at the bottom of the picture. I painted a bunch of WWII Russian infantry last year.

These are close-ups and appear much larger than they would on the gaming table.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those Russian grunts look great Pete! I have to admit that I have ever heard of 2D6 miniatures until now. I took a look at their website and the Emu War line has piqued my interest!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg! 2D6 are definitely worth a look. They are out of the UK but their prices are reasonable and you can order single vehicles easily if you only need a couple. Their line continues to grow and they just created a Crete line of WWII 6mm minis with German Fallshirmjagers and Mediterranean British infantry.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I am getting ready to do a solo game of Mein Panzer at the house. It has been about 4 years since I played this and I wanted to get back into it again.

The scenario will take place on the Russian Front in the Summer of 1943 after Kursk when the Russians are going over to the attack. To keep things simple, I am playing with tanks only for this game with the Russians having a company or two of T-34s while the Germans are defending two bridges with a somewhat reduced, mixed company of Panzer IIIs and IVs. I may add some reinforcements for both sides depending on my mood and how things are going.

My goal here is to re-learn the rules and illustrate how the game actually plays.

Here are some pictures of the layout I set up on my table in "The Man Cave". I am using GHQ Terrain Maker plus GHQ buildings for this. This is a small layout with dimensions of about 4" long by 2' 8" wide.

Image[/url]

The first picture shows just the flannel base on my table. This helps to keep the terrain pieces from shifting during play.

The second and third pictures show the battlefield from the perspective of the German and Russian sides respectively.

The other pictures show some of the various terrain features including the minor river and bridges.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pete, your terrain looks amazing! I hope GHQ is paying attention - this should be in their catalog!

I'm really curious to know how well Mein Panzer plays solo. I played it years ago with 4-6 players, but we had a referee to keep us straight.

You're going to post some battle updates right once it starts right?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice terrain. Looks like the assembly area for some tanks or a battle to be waged a few times.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg and Chris! I do plan to do an ongoing AAR right here and maybe also in the ODGW Forum and a few other places. I maintain that almost any game can be played solo although some play better than others.

Mein Panzer is what I consider to be a medium complexity set of rules for WWII set at the individual vehicle level and squads and teams for infantry. Not as detailed as some sets but not as quick playing or abstract as some others, it sort of hits the sweet spot for me as to what I am looking for in a miniatures game at this level.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete, beautiful terrain. Two questions,. 1. Trees, where you get them......probably asked this before. 2. Can I come over and play......please.......OMG THAT TERAIN ROCKS.!
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Nice work!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Hi Pete,

The new “man cave” looks great and spacious!

The terrain setup looks great! Love the hills and the river/bridge setup looks great.

Thank you for posting this! I think there are a lot of us in similar positions. We are too focused on creating, painting, building etc And not NEARLY enough playing.

There is something satisfying about blowing something up on the tabletop! Lol Smoke, fire…

I hope the Germans have a couple of 88s handy. That is a tall task asking the Pz IIIs and IVs to carry the load.

Looking forward to this…
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Your terrain setup looks great. The stream/river looks especially fine. Looking forward to the AAR.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Looks great Pete, can’t wait to see it with some minis on it!