Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Hoth_902 wrote:Thanks PolisGI for the technique info. I am definitely going to have to look into the “stippling technique". I have only stuck to hard edges because of lack of knowledge. I love those panthers of Pete's. The camo pattern is awesome. Need to try it.

The modern vehicle pics are beautiful. Keep the great pictures and tips coming.
Welcome. Check out the book as well. It covers a lot and may point you in different directions. Hopefully, you have a spare piece/chunk of polystyrene to play with. Shoot it with a primer... add your base coat and then work in the camo lines. From there you can play with a stipple brush and paint until you get the hang of it. You can always re-shoot the styrene and start over until comfortable. Then apply your knowledge to the 1/285 vehicle and let the real fun begin. hehe
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Pete, I think we need to establish a formal position as "Painter Laureate" for you.

Your work is just stunning. I mean, I've always liked your work, but it has just gotten better and better.

Those infantry figures are da bomb! I can see the helmet chin straps and the expressions on the faces, fer the love of #*$@*! Even on the en bloc style heavy weapons. Really great stuff. I didn't think I would ever see someone who surpassed Ritter on painting skills, but man, you have got it all going there!

(Of course, Pete has not yet mentioned making bayonets and swords out of molten metal to add to his GHQ infantry figures, so Troy, if you are reading this, you still have a place in the hall of fame.)

And after all that about the infantry, which really IS stunning, you then post this!?!

Honestly, I think that is the single most stunning picture of micro-armor tanks I think I have ever seen. Ye gads, man, that's just so ... so .... so perfect!

Ahem. OK. Give me a moment to wipe the tears from my eyes.

Hey man, good work.

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I can practically smell the exhaust from those tanks, Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Mk1 - Thanks so much for your very kind words. I really appreciate them. I actually do think I have improved over the years, especially when I compare my work around 1990 or so to now. One of the things that has helped me was painting for GHQ. I was often painting things I initially didn't know much about and had to solve certain problems in getting the pieces done. I had actually painted no aircraft prior to painting GHQ aircraft and had no painted Moderns in my collection. I had to learn how to do both.

The picture of the M-48s is one of my favorites as well. Sometimes you just get lucky but the picture does have a lot of "atmosphere" to it. I am continuing to work on my photography skills and will be taking more pictures as time goes by.

By the way, Mark, I always enjoy your very thoughtful and well researched insights here and on TMP. Whenever there is discussion of Shermans or other tanks or tank destroyers, I always you to be an authority on the topic.

Redleg - Thanks very much! As I mentioned to Mark, that is a favorite picture of mine and has lots of atmosphere. Yes, you can almost smell the exhaust!

I will try to post more pictures soon.

Pete

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Phenomenal - truly gold standard work. It is so realistic. I’m glad you do not base them (no offense intended to those who base their tanks).

Did Someone actually mount homemade bayonets?!? Troy’s work was fantastic too.
Who was doing custom Vietnam infantry poses? Anybody do that for WW2?? Again Pete your infantry is magnificent. Thanks for the inspiration!

pmskaar
E5

Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt! I will post more infantry pictures in the not too distant future right here. I have some British 8th Army and Afrika Korps infantry and support weapons that I will post soon.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some German trucks for my Afrika Korps. These are GHQ's Opel Blitz trucks with 1 Opel Blitz van.

pmskaar
E5

Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some Horch and Steyr trucks for my Afrika Korps.

pmskaar
E5

Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Here is my Light Armored Car Platoon for my North Africa Germans. I have a 2nd platoon in the works which will get done at some point. Eventually, I plan to have the Heavy Armored Car Platoon added as well.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

More great stuff. Enjoy your pics.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Wow Pete! Those are awesome!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - I'm in quality microarmor overload. Triple plus good, your stuff. I especially liked the variation in canvas colors for your soft skin vehicles.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

After seeing picture after picture of excellence, I am going to start taking a hammer to my stuff.....lol
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Hoth,
Let me save you effort and the chance to hurt yourself hitting your finger with the hammer.
Send those items to me so you will not need to deal with them.
Chris

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Yessir once again wonderful stuff! I’m with Hoth on this one, hahaha!!