Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

As always, amazing vehicles and amazing terrain. The trees look great and very real. I get a shiver every time I look at them. I will have to try that method of separating them to look more real. When you use the watered down glue mixture, do you spray it on? What is typically the ratio you use? I have heard that people sometimes seal there terrain with water down glue. Have you done that or do you ever seal them?

That is the struggle, to get the right mix of realism and playability. I think you have got it down to a science. I like how you represent your woods. I used a method that was featured on Little Wars TV. the use the same stock material for there trees. However, They make dense little stands that you cannot put anyone or thing inside. This in part, could be do to the scale that they are using. If the ground scale is small enough, I suspect that you would or could be always closer to one side or the other... So on my tree stands, I left some extra cleared realestate to put a vehicle or infantry on and be considered "In the Woods".. Then I built some single row or thinned rows of trees that had gaps to position vehicles in for ambush or camouflaged positions. My thought was, that if the woods were big enough, I could position multiple stands near each other and by default the extra space around the stand would space them with enough room for vehicles or infantry stands to move among them. Not sure how it would look on a table, I only have a few built. I might try some stands that look like what you have for spacing. If I make the base right, they could be interconnected to make a forest that is functional for the game. Here is too examples of what I have done so far. The trees, themselves do not look as good as yours but I like how they came out for a first attempt. Practice practice

Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Those look very good, Hoth! You might try to experiment with separating the boughs on a few trees to see how it goes. It looks like you do have a lot of vehicles to hide in those woods for sure.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Just get more trees.
Looks great.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Lookin good! Very cool that you can drive your tanks between the trees!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Redleg/Chris, Thanks, For just starting out, I am happy with what I have done. Went from no terrain and a lot of tanks to having a little bit of terrain and a lot of tanks.. I am working on some hills as well. I got two shaped and will do two more before I seal them and cover them with turf.

Pete,

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement. Its been fun experimenting with terrain. I will try and make some attempts with separating the boughs.. Can't wait till my village buildings come from my black Friday shipment.. USPS has my stuff trapped in Distribution center H E L L.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth! I am looking forward to seeing more. Redleg and Chris, it is always good to hear from you guys.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Yesterday, December 16th, was the 79th Anniiversary of the start of the Battle of the Bulge. Several years ago, in 2016, we had decided to do a Bulge game showing the 2nd Panzer assault on the town of Marnach at the start of the battle. Marnach was held by elements of the 28th Infantry Diviison.

There was no snow on the ground in our game and my friend, Scott, who has studied the battle, told me there was no snow at the start of the battle. The ground was a bit muddy, however from previous precipitation.

We used my terrain and buildings for the layout. The terrain is GHQ Terrain Maker. Most of the minis belong to Scott but I provided the infantry for both sides and the Shermans for the Americans.

Here are a few pictures from the game.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Great looking setup. Plenty of open terrain on the table and there.

Like the civilian structures in the background of picture third from bottom. I thought it was real for a few pictures.
Nice game.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking game Pete! The vehicles and terrain are awesome!

I had a funny thought when I saw the ground level picture of the game with the dice on the board. Anybody remember the movie Cloak & Dagger from 1984 where the kid had an imaginary friend named Jack Flack that was based on a role playing game character?

Sorry to sidetrack - great looking game Pete!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Simply amazing. That table scape is in the top 10 I have seen. Always amazing to see what you post. Your friends vehicles are really good. With that said, got any more pictures of the game and any pictures from the American side. PLEASE POST MORE!!!!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you all very much, Chris, Redleg and Hoth! I appreciate it.

Hoth, here are a few additional pictures showing the battle from the American perspective as you requested. I also included an overview of the layout as well and a mood shot or two. Next time I will post a few pictures of the actual town and area.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Great looking table and game. I especially liked the low level views of the game.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Begemot! I did not take the pictures for this game but overall I think they turned out really good. I too like the low level angles on many of the pictures as it almost puts you right in the action.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of the actual town of Marnach and its surrounding area. The town is in northern Luxembourg near the German border. The town of Clervaux is to the west and was the site of the famous stand of the 110th Infantry from the 28th Infantry Division. The current population of Marnach is only around 585 so it is a pretty small town. The last picture shows the road from Marnach to Clervaux, then and now.

Though our game representation of Marnach is certainly not exact, it is fairly reasonable considering. For this game I had to use just about all the buildings I had including ones conscripted from the Russian Front.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Sweet! Quaint lil’ town. Picturesque.
Nice sharing the pictures, map. Thanx.
Chris