M48

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

M48

Post by panzergator »

GHQ's new M48 looks good. The only flaw I can find in the photo model is the accordion-style barrel sleeve part of the mantlet cover. The original mantlet cover was more of a canvas bag. I've already ordered the first 20 of a 54-tank battalion.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Re: M48

Post by redleg »

I never intended to get any M48s, but all the talk and pics on the M60 thread and others are getting me excited and I may have to go for it!

A couple of questions though: Which versions of the M48 did the US Army field in Germany? Were they painted just straight OD Green? Any MERDC painted M48s?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The US Army fielded the M48A1 and M48A2 in Germany in the '50s and early '60s. The A1 was last used by units coming from the States for Big Lift (think early REFORGER), who drew them from POMCUS in 1963. By then, units in Germany had M48A2 (particularly cavalry units, or the first M60s (tank battalions). They were OD. The only M48A5s fielded by the active Army were two battalions in Korea in the late '70s/early '80s., which were MERDC. M48A5s were also fielded in a number of National Guard units wearing various versions of MERDC, depending on their location/climate zone.

Various models were provided to other countries for military assistance.

Pentomic infantry divisions (circa 1955-60) had an organic tank battalion of 5 companies, otherwise, armored divisions had battalions of 54 tanks in three 17-tank companies.

Don't forget that these battalions might have had an M103 platoon or company attached to provide support against Soviet heavy tanks.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

It is indeed a nice looking model. Problem is I have Squadron of M48A3s painted as 67 war Jordanians. I think the plain vanilla M 48 is the correct model. So do I buy a squadron's worth of M48s and refinish the A3s as Israelis or US?

Never mind - dumb question!

I do wish GHQ would go back to the correctly sized M2 .50 cals. The current model is way oversized. I know why they did it because the old version was susceptible to breakage but scale matters.
Last edited by Cav Dog on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Now that M48 is available, I'd go with it for your Jordanians. The M48A3 is a Vietnam tank. Give 'em to your US forces serving there. The Israeli 48s were A2s, many from West Germany, which you can make with GHQ's M48A5 hulls and their 90mm turret. The Israelis converted them to Magach 3s.

There are differences left. The Jordanians had a later rack on the back of the turret. They had the 55 gal. drum rack, as well. But the M48 better represents the Jordanian tanks than the A3.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for all the great info you guys! This is great! So for the M48 minis that come with different turrets (90mm or 105mm) were the tanks upgraded at some point? Or are these for different countries?

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Yes, there were several upgrades to existing M48s. The US supplied both its own tank fleet and those of other countries with various versions over the years beginning around 1952, when the initial model was approved. In some cases, those countries also made their own improvements.

Let's talk about the US Army tank fleet first. Given the nature of the forum, the focus is primarily on visual identifiers, with some mention of capability changes when significant. I have no wish to re-write Hunnicutt's history of the main battle tank.

The M48 started out pretty much as you see the GHQ model. 90mm gun. The turret shape is a little off at the ring and there was no accordion barrel sleeve - the mantlet cover was a canvas bag. The bustle rack on the back of the turret is incorrect and should be the one we are familiar with on the later models. It looks like the headlight group is correct, but I don't have an actual sample to look at yet and won't know until I see it. Since the exhaust was vented out the top of the back deck, the rear panel of the tank is solid, with a large phone box attached. This model had the stereoscopic range finder, in whicn the lenses in each horn moved to unify their target images, and when they were superimposed, the range finder, which was connected to the ballistic computer, provided the range to target. This was known to crews as "flying the geese." This was an an--alog system - there was a crank on the rangefinder and turning it to bring the images together also turned a connector to the ballistic computer, which contained cams for ammunition types. The gunner physically selected the type of ammunition to be used, which engaged the proper cams inside the computer. NO ELECTRONICS INVOLVED. The ballistic computer in turn, by physical connector, provided the proper elevation to the gun to compensate for the ballistic flight of each ammo type in elevation only. Some rounds, like High Explosive, Plastic (HESH, of you're a Brit) also sliced right because of the rifling spin, so the gunner had to guess the compensation and aim off) The stereoscopic rangefinder was difficult to use and required constant training. It was practically impossible to use for commanders who wore glasses. This model had 5 return rollers. This tank had the flat commander's hatch with exposed .50 mg mount. The gun could be fired from inside the tank, but the commander had to open the hatch and expose himself to reload or service the gun. Fenders were rounded at both ends.

The M48A1 added the Aircraft Armaments enclosed cupola. Remember, the tank was designed to operate in the new atomic environment, and an enclosed cupola was an advantage. Note that this is STILL the M2 .50mg. It took up a lot of space in that fairly small cupola, but the gun could be loaded and fired from inside. The cupola is the most noticeable external difference between the M48 and the M48A1. The engine was improved for a slightly better power-to-weight ratio, but the range remained woefully inadequate at about 70 miles. You will see pictures of both the M48 and M48A1 sporting a rack off the back deck supporting 4 55gal fuel drums which were jettisoned prior to entering combat. These extended the range of the tank to about 135 miles. Still a gasser. Fenders still rounded. Still had 5 support rollers. Starting the tank required a crewman standing by with a fire extinguisher. The A1 was still in service in 1963, drawn by 1st AD from storage in Germany for Operation Big Lift upon arrival from the States. There are some great pics of all this in Tankograd's "Operation Big Lift, 1963" Big Lift was a predecessor to REFORGER exercises. It featured simulated use of atomic weapons, including the Atomic Annie 280mm cannon with nuclear rounds and the Davy Crockett battle group/battalion-level nuclear launcher. For GHQ, you have to modify a bit. Take the two the 90mm turrets from the M48A5 kit and put them on the M48 hulls. 5 return rollers, enclosed cupola. You have an M48A1. My 105-gunned turrets will likely provide guns for other tanks.

Reading is very difficult while I wait for my new right eye and get prescriptions, so I can't tell you WHEN the stereoscopic rangefinder was replaced with a coincidence rangefinder, but you wouldn't notice an external difference, anyway. In the coincidence rangefinder, the right side reticle remained stationary while the left side moved in response to the cranking of the range knob. When the images were superimposed, you had your range. This arrangement was much easier for all concerned to use, although not quite as accurate.

Next up is the M48A2. There are significant visual differences, beginning with the back deck, which now has a solid armored deck flanked by smaller grilled doors. Among other things, this was intended to reduce the giant column of heat forced upward by the engine cooling fans. That heat now exhausted through rear grill doors. The infantry phone box was moved to the top of the right fender. The A2 is still a gasser, but the redesign of the engine and engine bay provided additional room for fuel tanks, extending the range to about 160 miles (without the fuel drum rack). Track return rollers were reduced to 3. The headlight group was changed. For GHQ, look for NO air cleaner boxes, 90mm gun, armored back deck, THREE return rollers. THAT is an M48A2. The only use for the five hulls in the M48A5 package is to make M48A2s if you are concerned about accuracy. Set the A5 turrets with the 105 in your parts bin and order the 90mm gunned turrets for the three extra hulls.

At this point, it's proper to introduce the M88 as a support recovery vehicle for the M48 series. It was a gasser, too (GREAT TORQUE). It had the ability to refuel a tank from it's own supply, although the idea was just to get the tank to a place where it could top off. The M74, which was based on the the Sherman's Easy Eight chassis, had soldiered throughout the 50s, but was proving inadequate to the task, so the M88 came along about 1960.

The M48A3 was introduced during the Vietnam War. As I said elsewhere, there were some A2s in Vietnam, either with the Marines or the first Army division which took its tank battalion with it out of ignorance, subterfuge, or stubborness. There was strong guidance from Washington that tanks were not to be taken by US units, but the Marines, didn't ask, so they weren't told no.
They just took them because they were all Marines. Way to go, Marines!
Those early tanks demonstrated they were useful in that environment. The MAJORITY of tanks in Vietnam were M48A3s, which were converted from both M48A1s (5 return rollers) and M48A2s (3 return rollers). Engines were diesel, with the consequent addition of air cleaner boxes on the fenders just abaft the tool boxes on both sides. The back deck armored grills were changed a bit to accommodate the air cleaner boxes. The turret riser was added below the cupola to provide better all-round vision for the commander. SOMETIMES, the unit welded a pedestal mount to the cupola so the .50 mg could be used more easily, as the cupola operation was clumsy and unresponsive in those conditions. Fenders were squared, sometimes reinforced, sometimes not, depending on which hull the conversion started with. For GHQ, look for the armored deck, cupola riser and air cleaner boxes - THAT is an M48A3. That model is a good one.

The Army built 501 M48A5s, technically enough for 9 H series battalionS, with 2 spares tanks. I do not know yet how many were actually fielded. I mentioned 5 at one point, but that was a SWAG. I figure 8 battalions, with th restddddð It was standardized in 1975. The initial work included a batch of tanks with the cupola riser, as seen in Vietnam A3s, but the vast majority had an Israeli style cupola (known as the Urdan). One or two even snuck through without the cupola riser, probably the result of a shortage as production ramped up. The proper M48A5 can be identified by its 105mm gun (without barrel jacket), air cleaner boxes, Urdan-style cupola, and M60 or M240 mgs at the turret hatches. The tank used as many M60A1 components as possible and was considered its equivalent The AN-VSS 2 searchlight is appropriate. Most tanks had the M48A3 headlight group. The turret top was decorated with M60 or M240 mgs at the commander's and loader's station, although I understand that those equipping the two US battalions in Korea had a .50 cal at the commander's hatch. Only the two active Army armor battalions in Korea were equipped with the M48A5. The remainder equipped National Guard battalions. In order to get a good M48A5 in 1/285th, order the GHQ Israeli Magach 3 and cut off the .50 on the main gun, then add the two 7.62 mgs on the turret hatches. The GHQ M48A5 package uses the wrong hull and the wrong cupola for M48A5.

All models M48 through M48A3 are properly painted OD of one variation or another. I have not seen US examples in any other scheme, except for gate guards, and who knows what those painters were thinking. M48A5s should be painted MERDC in accordance with the climate of their home station.

Apologies for lack of specifics. As I said, it's difficult to read right now, although I hope that will be corrected in a couple months, and I have to use references for the M48, as I did not serve in any model. I will correct when I find difficulties and inaccuracies and endeavor to answer further questions, although I will be out of net for the next couple days.

I will will be back in a bit with some info on M48s in foreign service. Questions?
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Panzergator

Thanks for the very informative article on the various models in the M-48 family. I now know a lot more about these tanks.

Right now, GHQ makes the M-48, M-48A2, M-48A3, and M48A5 if I am correct with some other versions from other countries coming down the pike.

I would really like to see GHQ do a new model of the M-48A2 with the 90mm gun. This would be a new model and not just a repackaging of the older N17. I think the older model should be retired and a new sculpt done for the M48A2. Most of the Israeli M-48s in the '67 War were of the M-48A2 type. It is interesting that besides the difference in the number of return rollers between the M-48A2 and the A3, the cupola, while also fully enclosed on both, has a bit of a different shape on the A2 vs. the A3.

By doing a new M-48A2 GHQ would fill a gap for us tank nerds. I did use the M48A3 model that GHQ makes for my Israeli M-48s because I liked the sculpting better on the newer model than the older N-17 which is mostly M-48A5s with a couple of the 90mm turrets thrown in.

Those are just my thoughts on this topic.

Pete

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I agree that the M48 package is pretty stale. I imagine the A2 hasn't been in great demand and likely, the A5, as well, so a new one may not be profitable. That said, it should be kept in mind that the active Army used the A5 in two battalions in S.Korea in the late '70s and there were probably 5 battalions in the National Guard, which likely were round out units - part of a brigade that was the third brigade of an active division. The A2 did feature significantly in West Germany-stationed US units, serving in cavalry units even after tank battalions received M60s. My ROTC advisor served in a divisional cavalry unit equipped with them at least as late as 1964. A1s played a prominent role in the '61 Berlin crisis. Cavalry units would have used them in ACR tank companies and in their reconnaissance troops, as well, after the M41 was withdrawn.

The cupola hatch on a number of later models had a bulge that gave the tank commander a little more headroom. I'll try to provide details when I can see better. Details may be in Jim Mesko's M48 pamphlet, as I recall.

Once again, I would like to point out that the hull in the M48A5 package is incorrect and almost all A5s had the Urdan style cupola. The A3 or Magach 3 hull is the correct one - air cleaner boxes, rear grill doors to accommodate the new diesel engine. A couple packaging changes could give is the M48, M48A1, M48A2. Correcting the M48A5 might be more involved. The M48A3 is already good, although inclusion of a tree of .50 M2s and clipping the cupola barrel off might provide more accuracy.

Should gamers show more interest in "what if" scenarios in the '50s and '60s, interest in the M48 models might go up. The restraints and constraints of the period could present interesting possibilities (think things like use the Davy Crockett, leg infantry, battle groups). Learning about the '50s and '60s in Europe takes a bit more work. There was more going on in the Middle East then.Eisenhower was not inclined to send troops to solve problems.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is more good information, Panzergator. So, if I understand correctly, if GHQ decided to do the M-48A5 properly, they could use the M-48A3 hull and a new turret with the 105mm gun and Urdan style hatch.

For the M-48A2 a whole new hull and turret would need to be sculpted unless GHQ decided to just make a new pack of their old N17 with just the 90mm turret. I would not buy those as I think those models are not quite up to par with the rest of their line. GHQ has done some excellent re-sculpts of older, outdated models such as the T-55 series, T-62 series, and the new BMP-1.

The new sculpt M-48A2 would be a nice addition as it would be good for late 1950s and early 60s American forces, W. German Army forces, and the IDF. I think the M-48A2s that the IDF used came from W. Germany and in 1967 were largely unmodified. After the experiences of the 67 War, they made some changes which resulted in the Magach 3.

Of course, it is up to GHQ to decide if making a new model of the M-48A2 or any other model is in their best interests from a financial standpoint. Hopefully I have given them something to consider at least.

Pete

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

You are correct. Sculpt a new turret with no barrel jacket on the 105mm gun, with the flat commander's hatch and combine it with the M48A3 hull for an A5. A5s had the later neoprene mantlet cover with the accordion barrel sleeve, as seen on the A3 sculpt. Watch out for the correct headlight clusters. The A5, with its various improvements, was considered equivalent to the M60A1 (RISE). More info to come.

Yep, many A2s were shipped from West Germany to the Israelis. These would become, eventually, the Magach 3. In the '67 War, they had about a company's worth with a 105mm gun. The rest they had to use as is. When they got the chance, they modified the hull, put in a diesel engine, put in a 105mm gun, changed the cdr's hatch, and upgraded the fire control system. The turret hydraulic fluid was changed, as well. They put 7.62mm mgs on the cdrs and loader's hatch. One question I need to answer... When I read that the A2s from Germany were shipped to Israel, I don't know if those were from the West German Army, from US POMCUS stocks or from US tanks recently retired.

In further support of the A2, I saw West German M48A2s in use during REFORGER in the late 70s. They handled them rather ROBUSTLY, as I recall. Many later became M48A2GA2s.

I will talk about 48s in foreign service, including various upgrades later. As far as I know, everything that was done to the M60 could be done to the 48. I'm spending most of my time on US TO&Es these days, though.

I don't really mean to be so pedantic about all of this. I just try to make sure I'm being clear and thorough. For my own motor pool layout, I want to be as accurate as possible and assume others out there (not everybody, though) want the same.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

This is awesome info, PG! Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge on the subject! It's great having a subject matter expert in the forum, but now I'm even more indecisive about which M48s I should get!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I figured GHQ would make the A1 rather than the M48 and was a bit surprised when I saw their choice. My plan was to collect a battalion of A1s, then buy turrets to convert my current A5s to A2s for a complete battalion, then buy Magach 3s to make an almost proper M48A5 National Guard battalion.

Now, I will buy an M48 battalion, maybe the A2 turrets, and see how GHQ develops the M48 series. I don't have plans for any foreign units save German M48A2GA2 should it become available. So I'm shooting now for a battalion each of M48s, M48A1s, M48A2s, and M48A5s. And a company of M48A3s to complete the set.

Let's not get too far along with that "expert" word.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Redleg, what do you want to do with your M48 series tanks? What time period and what area of operations? That determines which model you want. I want to depict '50s and '60s US units in West Germany and a National Guard bn in the late '70s.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's my problem - I don't have anything particular in mind. I don't have any personal connection to M48s like I do with other tanks, but I got very excited seeing everyone else's M48s! I think I'll finish a full M60A3 unit first and then worry about the M48s.