M48

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: M48

Post by pmskaar »

I would be good with those models of the M-48A2 and M-48A5. If someone really wanted a Marine M-48A2 could they use a hull with 5 return rollers?

As for me, I would be happy with the Army version of the M-48A2.

Pete

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

At the moment, GHQ does not make a hull with 5 return rollers correct for the A2. The A3 and the Magach 3 have five return rollers, but have air cleaner boxes and the grills on either side of the armored back deck are changed to accommodate them. Look closely at the current A3 and current A2. The rear hull shape on the A3 and Magach 3 hahe a sharp dogleg to go around the air cleaner boxes, whereas the A2 has no aircleaner boxes and the hull wall is a very shallow curve. The A5 pack hulls with the 90mm gun make the only correct A2 at the moment.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Following my own advice, I have continued to read. It is obvious that a further, and better I organized, update is necessary. Stay tuned. A quick one... Rather than 500, at east 2000 M48s of all types were upgraded to A5 standard. That is a lot of 54-tank battalions.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I look forward to more info on the M-48, Panzergator. If GHQ decided to do the M-48A2 and the M-48A5, I would buy some if they get the details right. I admit to being a bit of a nerd in this. I can proxy a tank in a game with one that is similar if I don't have the exact model. If a decision is made to produce a particular model of a tank or other vehicle, I do want the details to be right.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I seem to recall without evidence that the M48A5 was the default tank for NG armor and mech divisions in the 80s when the RA had M60s and started transitioning to M1s so that would've been a lot of tank battalions given the 6/5 tank/mech mix in NG armor divisions and the 5/6 tank/mech mix in the N/G mech divisions, not to mention DivCav.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Two battalions under H series TOE in active army in Korea, remaining to National Guard, foreign aid, foreign military sales. In addition, upgrade kits were supplied to other countries to upgrade their earlier M48s, so there are a lot around. This was last half of '70s. I will put together numbers.

We had supplied a lot of M60 series tanks from reserve stocks to replace Israeli losses from '73 War. M48A5s had a lot of M60A1 components and they were considered almost equivalent. This was intended to make up a lot of ground quickly. At the same time, we were getting the M60A1 (RISE/AOS), the M60A3, and then moving on to the M1. M60A2s left the system, too, replaced by M60A1s and or A3s. Between 1975 and 1985, the tank fleet was very dynamic.

Beginning about 1980, units were transitioning to the J series TOE. The armored division was 6 tank and 4 mechanical, mech divisions 5 and 5. Still a lot, but the Wall hadn't come down yet, either.
Last edited by panzergator on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Gator - here you go, some light reading covering everything you ever wanted to know about the Army transitioning to the AOE Div 86 structure. It does have great org charts in the back. Turns out the NG didn't mirror the active component division organization for a myriad of reasons.

https://history.army.mil/html/books/069 ... 69-4-1.pdf
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

CavDog, you know the way to an Armor guy's heart! This is GREAT. MANY, MANY THANKS!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

My first company of M48s arrived today. Very nicely done. Turret has a good shape. The bustle rack is correct after all. Crisp, accurate. Very pleased.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Given that the tank commander's hatch is a separate mold, it is POSSIBLE that this turret will be used for subsequent models that have the enclosed cupola. That may point to a possible A2 model in the future.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I would be good for using an existing M-48 turret to make the M-48A2 if the only difference is the addition of the "low" cupola vs. the higher type cupola on the M-48A3.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It might be tedious. Buy the A2 hull from the A5 pack, the M48 turret, and the cupola from the Turk or South Korean kits, IF they are made that way. And I will be buying M48s and cupola trees to make M48A1s.

Of course, GHQ COULD make packs of M48A1s and A2s, making it easier for all concerned.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

If GHQ decides to make a new M-48A2 with new sculpted hull and turret, I will buy some. If they opt to use the older hull and or turret, I will not buy any of those. It is the same for the M-48A5 for me.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

If you want an M48A5, you can buy the Israeli Magach 3 and clip the 50 cal from the main gun, which is my plan. Then add the M60 mg to both hatches. Unless you just want the Magach 3. Correct cupola, correct back deck, correct air cleaner boxes, 105mm gun, correct headlight group. Alle ist korrekt for M48A5.

militumman74

Post by militumman74 »

I used to see lots of German M48s in the local training area in mid 70s. I thought they were A3s, but I probably wouldn't have known the difference. 12th panzer brigade I think. But that was 45 years ago. Memories fade.
Militumman