M48

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Re: M48

Post by panzergator »

The Germans mostly transitioned from M47s to M48A2s. Armored deck, but no air cleaner box is the easiest identifiers.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

PMSKAAR, I just received an order, which included a flyer for the 31 Oct. releases. It specifies the Korean M48A5 will have the Israeli-style cupola, so we won't get an a 48A1 or A2 from that. I should point out that the A2 turret included in the current A5 package is a newer sculpt than the original with the flimsy barrel and the separate cupola, if that is a concern. You might try one pack to see if you're happy enough with it. The cupola is molded to the turret.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I was wondering whether I could get some help in the best model to represent the Israeli Magach 2 during the 1967 war?

The bulk of the M48 in Israeli service were still armed with the 90mm gun, and were mostly M48A1 or M48A2C models.

Would it be acceptable to use the M48A3 model, or are there significant noticeable external differences? I'm hesitant to use the new base M48 model as it lacks the commander's station.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Most of the Israeli tanks were M48A2s gotten from West Germany. The most accurate thing to do is buy GHQ's M48A5, which comes with 2 90mm gun turrets, then buy extra 90mm turrets. GHQ will do that. That gives you the correct grill pattern on the back deck for the M48A2c with the correct turret. It is not the correct hull for the M48A5, anyway. Talk to GHQ and maybe they will figure a way to do it cheaper for you. My reading tells me the Israelis only had 1 company of their A2s mounting 105s at the time of the war, but I don't know how many tanks per company. There was a sample A2 mounting a 105 gun at Fort Knox, but it was not followed up with production.

The M48A3 engine well is not shaped properly. The hull wall has a crook in it to accomodate air cleaner boxes, which the A2 did not have. The air cleaners are the second boxes forward of the rear fenders on an A3.

GHQ's M48A5 has the correct M48A2 hull, but the hull is NOT correct for the M48A5. The M48A3 cupola is not correct for the A2.

If you want the correct vehicle, you must cobble it together, unfortunately, by using the M48A5 hull and buying extra 90mm gun turrets. The 90mm turrets I got had a stronger gun barrel than the original. The M48A5 proper hull is the one from the M48A3.

I use Magach 3 to represent M48A5, trimming of the 50cal on the main gun.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I used the M-48A3 by GHQ for my Israeli M-48s. If GHQ re-sculpted their M48A2/A5 model, I would definitely consider buying them. The current model as Panzergator suggests is closer to the real Israeli M-48s from 1967 but is a very old sculpt. This would be a good one for GHQ to re-do sometime to bring the detail up to current GHQ standards.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I will reiterate, the M48A5 properly has the M48A3 hull because the A5 had air cleaner boxes. SOME early A5s had the cupola with riser, but almost all had a commander's position similar to the Israeli Urdan cupola, both commander and loader having 7.62mgs. The current A5 by GHQ is significanly incorrect.

If you want M48A5s, buy GHQ's Magach 3 and remove the 50 cal over the main gun and add M60s to the commander's and loader's hatches. You'll just have to put up with the barrel jacket. That, at least, MIGHT have added, had the tank been sent to combat.