ALL NATO NATIONS - Armour doctrine question

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Re: ALL NATO NATIONS - Armour doctrine question

Post by panzergator »

The question doesn't lend itself to a simple answer, but the defense would entail establishing primary and secondary fighting positions within your unit battle position, then, given time, do the same for subsequent battle positions should you need them. Strive for three fighting positions per tank and alternate between each often. There is SO much more to I, but in light of you example, brevity seemed best.

Mike Robel can likely provide a better answer.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

mike robel
E5

Re: ALL NATO NATIONS - Armour doctrine question

Post by mike robel »

Actually he can't. You can search for FM 71-1 (Tank/Mech company team), FM 71-2 (Tank/Mech Battalion Task Force), and FM 71-123 which covers from Platoon to Brigade or so. I don't know if you can get other countries tactics manuals on line or not.

In general I agree with your point. An individual tank finds several firing positions and at least one hide position, then scoots up and down, not firing more than twice in a row from the same position (maybe, if you feel like you are a lucky punk, three times.)

Commanders should allow enough room for their subunits to maneuver and for tanks to have more than one place to shoot from. Positions prescribed by me were normally larger than my peers for their units.