ACW Popularity

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Herzog

ACW Popularity

Post by Herzog »

I'm planning on developing an ACW force of models (and made a purchase for an initial set of Confederates), but I can't seem to get a gauge on whether or not anyone actually plays the GHQ game (there don't appear to be any reviews online). For that matter, it seems like people are largely ignoring the ACW from a modelling perspective and in general. There isn't much on the forum about the ACW, and it doesn't look like GHQ plans any ACW releases in the foreseeable future - this seems to apply to 19th century wars in general. I guess I am just wondering if I should be gearing my interest less in terms of wargaming and more from a modelling/hobbying perspective. Thanks in advance!

Cav Dog
E5

Re: ACW Popularity

Post by Cav Dog »

Herzog - you should try the miniatures page ACW forum if you haven't already. There is a lot of good info and many knowledgable gamers and modelers on that site.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

Herzog

Post by Herzog »

Thanks for the answers. I'll take a look at that forum (once it is back in business - it won't load for me right now) and try and find free rules.
Good advice on doing whatever interests me, since I don't know anyone in my area that currently games anyway. I'll admit I wish there were more folks on this forum interested in ACW to bounce ideas off of, but I guess it doesn't really need to be GHQ specific. I already got several packs of the GHQ ACW minis, as they looked like the best quality around (and I am happy with them in person). I've just been wondering about whether to put them on bases for gaming or build dioramas and forego the possibility of gaming. There may be a happy middle ground. Thanks again.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Herzog! It does not appear that American Civil War is really that popular on the GHQ Forum. I don't really know why that is but it appears to be so.

I have a fair amount of GHQ's 10mm Civil War figures including artillery and some of the accessories. They are all up to GHQ's high standards of sculpting. One of these days when I need a break from my 1/285th scale stuff, I may get to painting a regiment or two.

I purchased the rules that GHQ offers a while back. They seem decent but I have not actually played them. They seem designed more for smaller battles or parts of larger battles rather than doing the whole of Gettysburg for example.

Our resident Civil War expert on this Forum is ACW Bill who has posted some of his work here and elsewhere. He would be the one to answer any questions that you might have regarding rules sets and such. He also has his own line of 10mm Civil War figures as well.

Pete

cabin4clw
E5

Post by cabin4clw »

I play in 6mm because I have a small table. My 15mm are in storage. I do like the acw rules because it you fail the cohesion roll, your troops do not do what you want them to do. I was one of the playtesters for the the rules, as well.

Herzog

Post by Herzog »

Thanks again all.
Well I do have 3 sets of the bases (enough for 270 infantry) (courtesy of eBay admittedly) on the way, so wargaming it is! I do find it odd that the infantry come in 24 packs but the bases are for 5 figures each. Since there is a 15% off coupon right now, I might as well take a chance on the rulebook since I don't have a ruleset right now.

mark.hinds

Post by mark.hinds »

I second the suggestion about TMP; go here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/boa ... period=acw

MH
Mark Hinds

Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr

Post by Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr »

Evening Gentlemen,

I read thru this thread with some interest.

I wrote the GHQ Civil War Rules awhile back and have been seriously considering doing a rewrite/update that would include the option for larger battles.

My son and I are currently in our first round of play testing a system that would allow play of Gettysburg in a series of player generated scenarios.

I jumped back on the forums here after a long absence to see what the interest may be in both an update and system that allowed play for large unit play.

Daryl L. Nichols Jr.
Author
Micro Force: The Game, American Civil War
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Microforce: The Game-American Civil War

Herzog

Post by Herzog »

Hi Daryl, I just purchased the rules myself and don't have a large enough army to shake a stick at! So I'm afraid I can't help too much regarding interest for a larger game system. I look forward to reading through the Micro Force rules though!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Daryl

I have your rules. I still need to paint up a Union and Confederate army to give them a go. I don't mind doing some of the smaller battles and parts of larger battles as opposed to just wanting to do a large battle.

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

Feel free to contact me at ACWBill@aol.com
"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

Goodgulf

Post by Goodgulf »

Hello All!
Long time miniature war gamer. Over the years I've been hot or cold on the idea of doing ACW.
Well the time has come!
I've loved the GHQ WWII stuff, but have just the starter tank games,
so I know how excellent the models are.
I'm going in big on ACW: Micro Force: The Game American Civil War.
I've ordered the rules (so I can figure out what figs to order)
and printed all the scenarios from "Resources" above.
I had the chance a while back to paint some GHQ Napoleonic figs
and love them.
I'm likely to create a Face Book group and post my progress.
I live in northern Alabama and hope to see you around (at least online).
Any advice on terrain sources would be appreciated.
Big figure order coming as soon (December 2020?).
Any advice on the figure order is welcome too.
Good gaming,
Dan Proctor goodgulf.wizard@gmail.com
Goodgulf

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey Dan, we'd love to see pics of your collection as you build it! I've never games the ACW, but every time ACWBill or someone else posts pics of their models, terrain, or games I get the itch to dice into it.

Some of us follow similar FaceBook sites too, so please post a link so we can follow your progress!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com