Your Favorite GHQ Models

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Your Favorite GHQ Models

Post by chrisswim »

What are your 3 favorite GHQ Models? Whether it is a WW 2 fighter, a WW1 cruiser or modern destroyer, a ACW figure, Panther tank, or a building let us know your top three favorite.
. If you wish to tell us why, please do so. It might be because of detail, the look when painted, it fills the niche you have been looking to complete for 12 years, accuracy or it just looks cool.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Re: Your Favorite GHQ Models

Post by panzergator »

It practically goes without saying... M60, M60A1, M60A2, M728 (CEV), M88 (both of them). GHQ doesn't produce the M60 anymore, but I would like to find some. Yeah, I know that's more than three.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Kaga, Akagi, Tone.
All things Japanese Naval

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Kaga, Akagi, and Tone: I love the models because I have always loved the ships. There's always been something about Nihon Kaigun that has always fascinated me. Starting building Tamiya1:600 destroyers with I was a kid.

-Submariner
All things Japanese Naval

33YearsGHQ
E5

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

Hard to narrow it down to three, but here are a few: US WWII Pontoon Bridge Set, M88A2, any of the Modern Japanese Naval, LHA America, the new T-AKE Lewis & Clark, LCAC set, M1 ABV, any US Halftrack, any US WWII Softskin 2.5T & up trucks.
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

madman
E5

Post by madman »

Early Tiger Is. First models I bought, around 1973 when I was 13. The pin is on the deck not the turret, the deck has a slightly sunken look. I painted them Panzer grey with brown tracks and over the next few years added some yellow, green and red-brown swipes (can't call them splotches) to about half. At some point I loaded a drafting pen with white ink and added turret numbers. I have something like 10 or 15 and will never part with them. Nostalgia.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Crown Colony class light cruiser (Because HMCS Quebec), M4 Sherman and all of its variants, and the King George V BBs.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Cama, that was me you helped with M60A2s, some that carried another label and were in plastic bags. Thanks to you and a couple other folks, I now have 3+ battalions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a shot.

I like the T30, as well. I met Richard Hunnicutt standing beside one of those. They are massive.
Last edited by panzergator on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

A lot of top threes in my world, these are today’s... probably change tomorrow...

Panther A&D - love the detail GHQ has on there and love that tank in general - one of my all time faves

SiG 33 15mm PzkwIII - cool piece and evokes Stalingrad to me. The extra detail is done well, and this model is a joy to paint

90mm Semovente - very unique piece but it comes with trailer and a tractor as well - great detail and it is a nice big gun that can actually match up against opponents...

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

This is a really hard list to make. In the last 10 years or so, GHQ has really stepped up its game and made some really great pieces. With that said, here is my list for today.. I am sure it will change at some point in the future. My 3 favorite vehicles are as follows

1. M60A3 with and without Reactive Armor. The vehicles is iconic and I grew up seeing them in the woods near Fort Dix. I have never wavered on my love for them.

2. M1A2 SEP TUSK II - I bought a company worth of them. I am not a big fan of the Ma Duece, mounted on the barrell, being molded into the barrell, but its growing on me. I have them lined up in front of my monitor and I just love looking at them every day as I work...

3. CRARRV - This sculp has a lot of detail. It looks really good painted up and can't wait till the day I can have it on tabletop. To be fair, I am really loving all the engineering vehicles. There detail is really insane and they all look great.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

This is a great topic, Chris! Thanks for posing the question!

I have loved all of my GHQ miniatures so I can’t really think of anything that stands out as better than another due to quality. My favorites are all based on personal/sentimental/nostalgic reasons.

M981 FIST-V
Sure it was already obsolete when I joined the Army. It was high maintenance, prone to break down, and no one ever even considered trying to keep up with the tanks and Brads in it. But it forced you to learn your trade as a fire supporter. No push-button BS on this thing – you had to know how to do your job and you had to be creative to stay in the fight. If you could turn a crusty, old-school E-7 into a vehicle, it would be the M113 series, and for an artilleryman that’s gotta be the FIST-V!

M109A6 / M992A2
I know, this is actually 2 vehicles, but they go together like First Sergeants and push-ups. A great system. I had A LOT of fun on the Paladin. Boom goes the cannon!

Iowa Class Battleship (Modern Configuration)
The highlight of my teenage years in San Diego was a day on the USS New Jersey way back in the late 80s. What a beast of a ship! Steel surrounded by more steel, surrounded by more steel, with 9 giant guns!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg, glad you like the thread. Took Fireball idea of movies. Thought to change topic to one that might interest others and I would be interested in.

I got carried away. Please for give me.

Abrams: M1A2 TUSK, I like the 50 on the barrel, not as keen on the CROWs .50, like the M.G. bucket a lot. Like the other Abrams, too.
M1 with .50 bucket to look like M1A1

2. I like the Leopard 2 family, start with Leopard 2A6

3. Bradleys, M2A3, M2A2, M6, M-2

4. CV90 series, starting with CV9040.

CV-90-120 mortar system.

CV90-40 AA

CV-9030
Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Allow me to echo the calls of 'this is a tough one!'

1. BMP-1 – One of the first GHQ packs I bought was the old BMP-1 sculpt. They were second hand from a bring & buy, and formed my very first OPFOR mechanised battalion. While they were noticeably a BMP-1, they were definitely an aging sculpt. The new BMP-1 released in recent years is absolutely fantastic. It's a crisp sculpt that looks wonderful in the hand, while still reminding me of my first encounters with micro-armour.
2. M51 Isherman – An iconic piece of Israeli hardware which has long been a fan of mine. The merging of the 105mm monster gun with the WW2 era provides a glass cannon, which I am oddly fond of. The GHQ rendition has a lovely mix of stowage and equipment, preventing it from looking too 'clean' as some kits do.
3. T-55 Enigma – One of the newer GHQ sculpts, and one of the few pieces where I probably own more than were ever built in real life! While the additional concrete slabs provided ineffective against the 120mm guns used by the Coallition, they certainly make for striking additions to the aging T-55 :mrgreen:

Honourable mention. Soltam 33 – I don't normally field artillery on table, but the Soltam 33 is too cool a piece not to love. Probably the only artillery piece I like more is the Makmat 160mm on the repurchased Priest chassis which isn't made by GHQ, yet ;)
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

My least favorite models are those that require small bits and bobs to be glued on. Sometimes I don’t see the point of some items being molded separately. Like gunners for AAA guns...

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

German Panthers for me. Incredible amount of detail. But all GHQ models have some much detail.
Baltimore class for ships. The wooden decks are out of scale but adds so much to the model.
It always amazes me that some artisan actually handmade each master from styrene.