What new modern Navy would you like to see?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

MechCommander
E5

Re: What new modern Navy would you like to see?

Post by MechCommander »

Same with Canada as we tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to miniatures.

BCR 570

Post by BCR 570 »

I would like to see the following modern ships at some point:

UK
Astute class SSN
Tide Class AOR
Fort Class AUX
(all of the above so one can complete the new UK Carrier Strike Group)

Canada

Tribal class DDG
Halifax class FFG
Preserver & Protecteur AOR
Asterik AOR
(these operate regularly with NATO and US task groups)

France
Charles De Gaulle CVN
Forbin & Chevalier Paul DDG
FREMM FFG
(these operate regularly with UK and US task groups)

Tim
Tim Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Hmmm.... probably Pakistan, India, Vietnam and Singapore.

Pakistan is mostly covered with ships GHQ makes for the UK, US and PRC navies. Add the Jinnah frigate and Ada Corvette and it is mostly complete.

Plus, that gives an excuse to start making Indian ships. India has some great looking new destroyers, frigates and corvettes. Then there is the new carrier.

Vietnam has mostly Russian ships, but the Gepard frigate and Molniya/Tarantul corvettes are used by other countries, sometimes many other countries. Also, no one makes a decent Tarantul corvette in 1/2400 scale.

Finally, Singapore has the Formidable frigate, Victory corvette and Independence patrol ship. The former and the later are high on the cool factor.

All could be in a conflict with the PRC or one another.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I am sure this is low on the priority list, but since I am a collector, builder and gamer, I would love to see a few coast guard cutters. Some Chinese ones would be good for a low intensity conflict in the South China Sea. But to start with, US coast Guard would be cool. Before anyone says it, I know there are more important ships out there that need to be produced, but I know no one will say it, so I will throw it out there. LOL
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

SKeeM
E5

Post by SKeeM »

I would like to see US Cold War ships.

US.
CG-10 Albany
CG-Belknap class
DGL-Leahy class
CGN-9 Long Beach
CGN-Virginia class
CG Ticonderoga (w/rails)
DD-963 Spruance (w/sandbox)

whenimaginationfails
E5

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:51 am
I am sure this is low on the priority list, but since I am a collector, builder and gamer, I would love to see a few coast guard cutters. Some Chinese ones would be good for a low intensity conflict in the South China Sea. But to start with, US coast Guard would be cool. Before anyone says it, I know there are more important ships out there that need to be produced, but I know no one will say it, so I will throw it out there. LOL
Completely agree! I would love to see GHQ make a Legend-class NSC or some of the modern PRC cutters (after the Type 056 or Tarantul corvettes, though). Viking Forge has a number of older US cutters and Shapeways is another source though I often find the prices relative to the quality are a far cry from GHQ. GHQ ships are always the gold standard in my book.

whenimaginationfails
E5

SKeeM wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 pm
I would like to see US Cold War ships.

US.
CG-10 Albany
CG-Belknap class
DGL-Leahy class
CGN-9 Long Beach
CGN-Virginia class
CG Ticonderoga (w/rails)
DD-963 Spruance (w/sandbox)
GHQ versions would certainly be excellent. If you haven't already, you should post them in the Consolidated Micronaut Wish List thread so Donald M. Scheef can add them to the list. Hopefully, that will help get more attention from GHQ.

If you cannot wait, there are decent versions of all of these ships from other metal manufacturers. Three (well two, one is out of stock) different manufactures have CGN-Virginia class models for example, ranging from very good to passable. The 1/2400 Modern Naval Miniatures spreadsheet has a list of who makes which ships.

whenimaginationfails
E5

One straight forward change GHQ could make to adding other country navies would be to tag existing ships as part of other countries beyond China, Japan, Russia, United Kingdom, United States. That would make it easier for customers to find the ships they need and hopefully will encourage us to find new interesting scenarios (which will hopefully cause more purchases).

Here is a start:

Argentina - UK Sheffield (Type 42) destroyer
Australia - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate
Bangladesh - PRC Jiangwei II (Type 053H3) frigate
Bahrain - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate
Brazil - UK Broadsword (Type 22) frigate
Chile - UK Broadsword (Type 22) frigate, UK Duke (Type 23) frigate, US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate
Egypt - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate, US Knox frigate
Greece - US Knox frigate
India - Admiral Grigorovich frigate (future?)
Mexico - US Knox frigate
Myanmar (Burma) - Jianghu V (Type 053H1G) Frigate?
North Korea - Russian Krivak frigate
Pakistan - PRC Type 054A frigate, PRC Jiangwei II (Type 053H3) frigate, US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate, UK Amazon (Type 21) frigate
Poland - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate
Romania - UK Broadsword (Type 22) frigate
Spain - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate
Taiwan - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate, US Knox frigate
Thailand - US Knox frigate
Turkey - US Oliver Hazard Perry frigate, US Knox frigate
Ukraine - Russian Krivak frigate

There are WW2 era ships that saw their way to other countries during the Cold War, but I am sure others know those better than I do.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

I really like German, French, Italian, and Dutch ships but they are less likely to do much in the real world that we could wargame.

Instead, I would like to see some fleets from countries and non-countries that see a lot of interesting action.

I would like to see navies that fight piracy as well as the pirates, such as near Somalia and the islands around Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. Australia would be a great addition to this as would Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.

Also, India and Pakistan for obvious reasons.

Gulf fleets such as Iran and UAE would be interesting, too.

Pirates and anti-pirates look coolest, though. :D

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Someone suggested oil rigs, too. Great idea.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Both India and Pakistan have very interesting looking ships. These could be great models.

General purpose freighters, tugs, trawlers, fishing ships, factory ships, etc., would be excellent and useful models.

I still want to see models for playing piracy scenarios around the Horn of Africa and all those S. Pacific islands.

Oil rigs and coastal facilities would be nice additions, too.

I am envisioning scenarios with small frigate or corvette class ships, islands and rocky areas providing terrain (and locations for ASM sites), drug runners, refugees, destroying or defending small coastal sites.

I guess I am proposing 1/2400 terrain.

kevinb

Post by kevinb »

I'd love to see some of the navies of Northern Europe represented - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Dutch, especially.

I've tried some of the 3D printed versions of these, but putting them on the same table as GHQ Royal Navy and Russian Navy ships just makes me feel sad.

With the new issue of the Harpoon 5 rule set it has re-triggered my interest in ultra-modern 1:2400, and I'm looking at Barents and Baltic scenarios.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

What kinds of operations do the North Sea and Baltic Sea navies do? Search and Rescue? Deterrence?

I love the tight waters and small ships for gaming but, for the life of me, I just don't understand what these fleets do up there.

STS

Post by STS »

embuchho wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:03 pm
What kinds of operations do the North Sea and Baltic Sea navies do? Search and Rescue? Deterrence?

I love the tight waters and small ships for gaming but, for the life of me, I just don't understand what these fleets do up there.
although it might be a bit off topic: As far as the German navy is concerned, it's role has switched completely, since the 1980', when it was all about preventing Warsaw pacts landings in Germany and Denmark, as well as keeping the Soviet Baltic fleet bottled up in the Baltic sea, together with the Danish navy.

Since then, it changed to global operations: larger frigates with less armament, but longer endurance (sometimes ironically dubbed "Kolonialkreuzer" after the colonial cruisers of the 19th century), transition from fast attack craft to corvettes and the addition of Joint Support ships. So it's anti-piracy, peacekeeping, anti-terrorism missions in Somalia, Djibouti and Lybia, instead of defending it's own coast.

They have lost a lot of capability as well, due to changing missions and budget cuts: no more fast-attack craft, (40 in 1990 to 0), fewer submarines (24 in 1990 to 6), fewer frigates/destroyers (17 to 7), no more mine-warfare capability (50+ minesweepers to 2). The worst is probably that there is no more fixed wing naval aviation: 112 Tornados were turned over to the Luftwaffe without replacement, 20 Breguet Atlantique were scrapped and replaced by 8 worn out, ex-Dutch PC3, which didn't even last 10 years.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Thanks so much, STS.

I have wondered about what modern navies, other than the US, UK, China, and Iran, actually do these days.

I started a thread roughly to this effect but the only responses were well-meaning (and admittedly fascinating) changes of topic. No answers as useful as yours.

I don't play wargames, I just make models (thousands of them, my cop buddy is arguing for an intervention...) and try to learn everything I can about the history, situations, players, and their interests.

In order to figure out "which new modern navies I would like to see" (that's the question that started this thread) I want to learn all about who is doing what.

That's the source of my question. I wish people would respond more to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6802