1/2400th scale Micronaut deck decals

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Re: 1/2400th scale Micronaut deck decals

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

STS wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:33 pm
Life is just unfair.

I thought I was done with my US fleet. I had every ship I wanted, I have them organized in their historical squadrons and divisions, and I have everything based and painted. Just a few more Avengers and Hellcats to glue to 2 or 3 flight decks.

Then I discover that Dan has recently released hull numbers for all US WW2 cruisers, battleships and destroyers, which turn meant for me I had to order them and am looking forward to applying ~140 decals in the next few weeks. :D
So funny story here. I was still working on the printing process for these tiny little buggers when I saw your post. But wait! How could that be? I had not published them on my Wix site yet. Yes, I had uploaded the info but only in invisible mode. Then I received your order :shock: Yep...Thank you Wix! Anyway, I was able to finish them up over the weekend. Fair warning, the DDs take patients and magnification. Your optometrist is going to love me :)

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Question for you FDD? Are they going to get printed in different colors for different camo schemes? Like measure 32 the numbers would be ocean grey or black if they were on a patch that was paint pale grey blue. If they are, I wait to work on Herrmann and Hoel.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Because the decals are thermal resin prints, pastels and greys are very limited. The numbers are so small, the resin light grey looks almost the same as the white. I would like to make the French red ship pennant numbers but I can not find a comprehensive info resource to research them....

STS

Post by STS »

Flight Deck Decals wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 am
STS wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:33 pm
Life is just unfair.

I thought I was done with my US fleet. I had every ship I wanted, I have them organized in their historical squadrons and divisions, and I have everything based and painted. Just a few more Avengers and Hellcats to glue to 2 or 3 flight decks.

Then I discover that Dan has recently released hull numbers for all US WW2 cruisers, battleships and destroyers, which turn meant for me I had to order them and am looking forward to applying ~140 decals in the next few weeks. :D
So funny story here. I was still working on the printing process for these tiny little buggers when I saw your post. But wait! How could that be? I had not published them on my Wix site yet. Yes, I had uploaded the info but only in invisible mode. Then I received your order :shock: Yep...Thank you Wix! Anyway, I was able to finish them up over the weekend. Fair warning, the DDs take patients and magnification. Your optometrist is going to love me :)
Back when I ordered them, I wondered, why they'd only show up in the "Modern Decal" section. My first reaction was "now that would be amazing for my WW2 ships, I hope he'll do that for WW2 sometime", when I noticed that those were in fact intended for the WW2 and not the modern lineup. :D

It took them less than 5 days to get here (which is amazing, since German customs are slow by nature, in addition to being currently overwhelmed by Covid and Brexit), and they do look great.

I did a trial run on my DMS, and I think they turned out quite well. The details and the black lines on the decals are quite crisp for such a small scale!

USS Preble (DMS-20) of ComMinDiv 1 (just a first impression taken with my phone)

and yes, while I was able to set the first few destroyer decals without any viewing aid, I think I might be using my magnifying lamp for the remaining 130. ;)

Thanks again!

Flight Deck Decals
E5

I'm glad you like them! Nice ship and paint too! It did take me a while to figure out how you managed to order them out of the modern section. Pilot error on my part :shock: :oops:

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Flight Deck Decals-
Your U.S.N. hull numbers came out great! Any chance you could do the red hull letters for Italian DDs and DEs? Also, do you have the Italian flags for the aircraft of the A.N.R.? I'm placing an order for the wing insignias but could use the flags as well. Thanks!

Flight Deck Decals
E5

RM,

I have actually been looking to add both Italian and French pennant letter / numbers but I have not been able to find a compressive information source on the conventions. I do not have the A.N.R. flags. I get more people asking me what the ANR markings are used for :wink: than I do those looking to purchase them. So the flags would not be something I would probably offer. I'm in the middle of a very large project. Once that's done I can do a custom set for you.

Cheers,
Dan

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks! I appreciate it. I ordered the wing insignia from you yesterday. The flags that went fuselage and tail will be great. Thanks for the offer. Just let me know when you can and I'll place an order.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

If you would like for me to send you a list of the Italian DD letters just let me know. I'll put them together and send them to you by class.

militumman74

Post by militumman74 »

"the resin light grey looks almost the same as the white."

That might be about right for modern US aircraft low vis light gray lettering over darker gray background. Current " Low vis gray decals are almost indistinguishable from black
Militumman

Flight Deck Decals
E5

regia-marina wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am
If you would like for me to send you a list of the Italian DD letters just let me know. I'll put them together and send them to you by class.
Yes! Please send when you can. Also any reference sites or books would be appreciated!

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Pretty happy with the upcoming releases! Lots of great ground and air. Looks like I will only have 1 CV deck to design - Type 001A Shandong. Totally understand the price increase. Anyone know if the F-2A fighter is a Mitsubishi, Banshee, or Buffalo?

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Oh, a Buffalo would be great, Midway markings!!

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Beagle wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:28 am
Oh, a Buffalo would be great, Midway markings!!
I know right! One of my favorite planes even although I would not have wanted to be in one during WWII....

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Flight Deck Decals wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 am
regia-marina wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am
Yes! Please send when you can. Also any reference sites or books would be appreciated!
I just emailed you.