1/2400th scale Micronaut deck decals

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Decals for Carriers

Post by Hoth_902 »

What if everyone on this site and there friends and hobby club bought one set of decals.....would that pump new life into the decal line? For a 5 dollar purchase...which is one less grande mocca from starbucks, you can save a company.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

On a side note, for some reason, my reference to ** CENSORED ** Class carriers was overwritten with the word ** CENSORED ** replaced by "Censored". In case this note gets the same auto to overwrite I was referring to the US CV's 9 and up. Also, this is another chance to keep this issue in front. GHQ, where art thou in this discussion? Again, I love you guys and your products. I have over 2,000 GHQ ships. My understanding is FDD is not going out of business or anything. Dan is just looking for some level of acknowledgement if not collaboration.
All things Japanese Naval

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

The E*s*s*e*x class gets censored for the last three letters. Several years ago it was driving me crazy and Don Scheef pointed it out to me why. I am on the fence about if it is way overboard but still parents can bring their younger children into this forum being completely comfortable. And that is what it is about.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

Although I don't like the heavy-handed auto-censor, I can at least understand why words such as Ess*x and Guadalc*nal are forbidden. However, I can not at all understand why the name of the French aircraft manufacturer Farnh*m is censored. Is there perhaps something about pork products than can not be tolerated?
Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Yeah, I'll probably have to order some carrier sets as well and just wait to use them until I get the ships later.

33YearsGHQ
E5

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 am
What if everyone on this site and there friends and hobby club bought one set of decals.....would that pump new life into the decal line? For a 5 dollar purchase...which is one less grande mocca from starbucks, you can save a company.
FDD is doing fine and has a massive (and awesome) line of decals. They are ending the GHQ portion of their line. Partly due to limited sales, but mostly due to the inability to be promoted on this site and in the catalog, website etc. It is pretty simple for me, no carrier or helicopter deck decals and I will not purchase the models - they don't look right without them. I doubt anyone else will make the effort Tanner and Dan did with these - they are not money makers.
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

33YearsGHQ wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:26 am
FDD is doing fine and has a massive (and awesome) line of decals. They are ending the GHQ portion of their line. Partly due to limited sales, but mostly due to the inability to be promoted on this site and in the catalog, website etc. It is pretty simple for me, no carrier or helicopter deck decals and I will not purchase the models - they don't look right without them. I doubt anyone else will make the effort Tanner and Dan did with these - they are not money makers.

Thanks 33YearSGHQ, I finally read the reasoning on there page, as to why they were stopping production. I understand the law of diminishing returns and all that. If the effort is too great for the reward, it makes little sense. I am really shocked that this is not a product that is not getting out there without GHQs support. There are tons of products that are not supported by GHQ and still do well. I wonder if they thought about selling them through other sites that sell miniature products that are non GHQ. Anyway, I am not going to second guess there market research and the cost benefit an-alysis they are using to make there case. I am with you, this really pretty much kill be buying any GHQ Ships after the decals are gone. You can't un-see the awesome results you get from adding the decals to the ship. We all know that GHQ will not put effort into making better deck decals so its a non starter. I will make a purchase to gussy up my LHD Wasp and probably call it a day or switch to another company that is supported by FDD for the rest of my ships.. Sad.. so sad. GHQ Supporting FDD would only serve to enhance there sales.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I just submitted a question directly to GHQ through the Contact page regarding possible collaboration or acknowledgment of Flight Deck Decals. In Dan's words on his site: "I just do not see the value in continuing to support GHQ models when I can redirect those hours, $, efforts & stock inventory into other manufacture's lines. Especially since I have a mutual supportive working relationship with them."

Seems like it wouldn't take much to develop a "mutual supportive relationship." If I can do the same with my wife for 33 years, this should be a piece of cake!

-Submariner

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Guys,
I sent a note through the GHQ Contact page and got the response below right away. Sounds hopeful. I forwarded this to Dan at FDD. I also just got a shipment of E*s*s*e*x decals. Dan even makes decks for never completed ships like CV-35 Reprisal with both black and white letter versions. He added a couple of extras he thought I might not have. Great, fast service just like GHQ.

"Hi Jay,
Thanks for the heads up. The deck decals that you mentioned are second to none! We would love to help out in ways that we are able to. We just sent Dan an e-mail. Hopefully we will hear back from him, and be able to do some things to help each other out.

Thank you for your support,
GHQ"

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Everyone,
I received the following note from Dan at FDD this morning. Sounds like we may be coming out of the woods!

"Jay,
You are most welcome for the extras. I received a bakers dozen of email this morning from customers who, like you, reached out to GHQ. Thank you! GHQ actually sent me an email stating that a mutual customer had mentioned their concern to GHQ about me ceasing production. That they would be willing to explore what they could do to support the continued production. Still drafting my response to them but honestly GHQ sending the email after so many non response over the years is / was sufficient for me to continue. Thank you again for your business & support!

Cheers,
Dan"

-Submariner

GHQ
Site Admin

1/2400th scale Micronaut deck decals

Post by GHQ »

In the last few years we have had a lot of customers comment about how great some of the aircraft carriers in our photos look. Many of them that you see have used decals produced by Flight Deck Decals.com. You can find their website here:

https://www.flightdeckdecals2400.com/

These were originally designed and produced by one of our very talented customers, Tanner of WWII Central. Another very longtime customer, Brad, got involved, and now another longtime customer, Dan, is running the business. All three of them have a great eye for detail, and quality. These are not GHQ products, but we give them our highest recommendation. Over the years we have recommended these decals to many customers who we speak with at shows, on the phone, and in e-mails.

If you are into our 1/2400th scale Micronauts, you really need to check out their website, and try a few!

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

Hoth_902
E5

Re: 1/2400th scale Micronaut deck decals

Post by Hoth_902 »

GHQ,

Thank you so much for supporting a company, who's product, only serves to enhance your great sculptures. I say Sculptures, because they are small works of art. I could not imagine adding carriers to my collection without there deck decals. Together I feel you both will grow and reap the rewards.

Thanks
Mike

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Thank you GHQ for acknowledging such a great product that really compliments your awesome aircraft carrier models and modern naval helicopter decks!

Without the 1/2400 scale fight deck decals from Dan's website, the GHQ models just wouldn't show as well.

Kudos to GHQ for your long over due post today. Thank you.

Now let's add some new carrier models!!!

whoa Mohamed
E5

Post by whoa Mohamed »

Just bought over a hundred worth and will probably end up buying at least one of everything in his modern line. Hopefully he can do a custom order for my 1/2400 USS Duluth and GHQ Knox class stein FFG 1065.
every man for all mens rights
all men for every mans rights

whoa Mohamed
E5

Post by whoa Mohamed »

Just bought over a hundred worth of decals fearing he was closing. I’m glad that if he and GHQ can work out a mutually beneficial arrangement he will stay open.
every man for all mens rights
all men for every mans rights