New Releases are up with photos

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

33YearsGHQ
E5

New Releases are up with photos

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

The October releases are all posted - and all include photos! Great looking stuff
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

panzergator
E5

Re: New Releases are up with photos

Post by panzergator »

Well, I hate to gripe, but on the M48A5, the gun looks too short, the mantlet is the wrong angle, and the commander's cupola is too thick. The turret shape is wrong, as well. The old M48A5 turret, mantlet, and gun are much better. Just can't get to a happy medium. Try some calipers on those molds, Guys. I will opt for what I can do with the old kit. The turret shape and gun are much more accurate.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I, for one, am very happy with the new M4A1 Sherman with applique armor. The very nice thing is it has the single piece transmission cover rather than the old 3 piece transmission cover. Probably most of the M4A1s in Normandy had the single piece transmission cover. I now have the option of both hulls for my 75mm M4A1s. This is great and a pleasant surprise as I fully expected GHQ to use the hull of their Modernized M4A1 with the newer turret with split hatch and applique armor. I will definitely be buying some of these.

Here are some pictures of the M4A1s I did recently. These have the 3 piece transmission covers but the applique turrets.

I now have 2 hull types and 3 turrets that I can use for my M4A1s.

Thanks GHQ!

Pete

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

GHQ, amazing as usual. I will complain about detail as much as panzergator about detail, but you produce some of the prettiest pieces I have ever seen produced. Be proud

pmskaar, really great work.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Cama, see my comments re. the new M48A5 SK version above. I had great hopes, but am disappointed. With all the pictures and drawings available, I just don't understand how the turret shape comes out wrong. ESPECIALLY since they got it right FORTY YEARS ago.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Vergeltungswaffe wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 am
Also, as has happened a number of times in the last couple years, the Tiam has it's turret facing over the rear deck. That may be trivial to most people but I detest not seeing it in the normal configuration.
I disagree, I think GHQ got this completely correct and in the normal configuration.
The Tiam spend most of its time on the back of a trailer transport awaiting movement to the next show, with the turret reversed.
The only impressive improvement seems to be the ability to produce a smoke screen without injecting oil into it;s exhaust :lol:

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The M48 turret shape reminds you of the very early T54, as it does me. The front slope is too steep, the turret ring should join the hull ring flat and extend farther to the rear. The rear turret skirt should not be so rounded. The mantlet should not be practically straight up and down. The turret bustle rack is a mess. The commander's hatch on this one is too thick. The gun looks out of battery at best. Somebody took a shortcut, using the M48 turret and modifyng the 90mm to resemble a 105. Given past performance, this effort is an F. It's as if GHQ hired the sculptor who did the early CinC M48s and M60s. The more I look at the turret, the less inclined I am to buy more than the 20 M48s I've already purchased. it's a real shame, because the hull is good. I will buy the M48 hulls and the M48A2 turrets separately to make M48A1s and Magach 3s for M48A5s.

If you want a good M48A5, your best bet is still to order the Magach 3, clip the 50 cal off the main gun, and add M60s or M240s to the turret hatches. You just have to live with the barrel jacket on the 105mm. Likely, the Turkish A5 is just more of the same. Recommend you halt production and figure out how best to correct this.

This is very disappointing, since the turret shape on the M48A2/A5 is so much better. Sorry, GHQ, but your researchers, sculptors, and quality control guys really let you down on this one. Wake 'em all up.

mike robel
E5

Post by mike robel »

7.62 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:04 am
Vergeltungswaffe wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 am
Also, as has happened a number of times in the last couple years, the Tiam has it's turret facing over the rear deck. That may be trivial to most people but I detest not seeing it in the normal configuration.
I disagree, I think GHQ got this completely correct and in the normal configuration.
The Tiam spend most of its time on the back of a trailer transport awaiting movement to the next show, with the turret reversed.
The only impressive improvement seems to be the ability to produce a smoke screen without injecting oil into it;s exhaust :lol:
I found the Tiam interesting. Not interesting enough to buy any mind you, but interesting. The Italians modified M47s in a way that they looked like later M48s from the rear. Pretty cool, so far as it goes.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Any one know why GHQ would choose to show the Tiam with the turret reversed over the engine deck in the store photo?
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

There was an M47 update that included an armored deck and grill doors similar to M60 - and diesel engine. It also had updated fire control and a 105mm gun. Nothing came of it, but it was interesting when we needed replacements quickly after sending tanks to Israel.

mike robel
E5

Post by mike robel »

Vergeltungswaffe wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:15 am
Splod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:30 am

Any one know why GHQ would choose to show the Tiam with the turret reversed over the engine deck in the store photo?
It's happened several times over the last couple years.

We can only speculate, but perhaps someone's wife that doesn't care about microarmor takes the pictures. :wink:
Because they are doing a rearward passage of lines, of course. Forward pointing gun tubes at that point are a shoot me sign.