The most tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: The most tanks

Post by Brigade Commander »

panzergator wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 pm
Brigade Commander...

For your 3BDE, 3AD, is that 70s or 80s? When were you there. I was in Friedberg '75-'78 in 1-32AR, HHC, 3BDE, and 3-32AR.
I am a career civilian. Almost served but it would have been the Navy. A long story but nothing negative. I just ended up not getting there. My one real regret in life. Long past being able to change that. I apologize if it seems I had because I try never to. People who try to pass themselves off that way make me think of different negative consequences for them. Sometimes very negative consequences. Comes from reading and learning about the US military since elementary school. Also, over the years have had extended family members serve. They cover four of the branches. None in the USCG though.

In junior high I already recognized the significance of the Fulda Gap so when I started modelling (late 1999, took me a while to find GHQ from a half remembered mention somewhere) I focused on the units arrayed across the Fulda Gap. I will not bore all of you with how I arrived at the 3rd brigade (I am already boring enough) but I wanted first to model units with the M-1 series and the M-2 / M-3 series. So that makes them: 2-67 ARM, 4-67 ARM, 1-36 Mech, 2-82 FA, 1-40 FA, 54th FSB plus one company from 23rd ENG (CBT). Once done it will be on to 3BDE, 8INF(M) with M-113's and M-60A3's, etc. Need GHQ to get on with 70's / 80's cargo and fuel trucks, etc so series-G and series-H modelers can have some serious fun! Well my wife tells me I have already gone on too long so signing off. For now. :)
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Brigade Commander,

It isn't a deficiency. Don't apologize. I thought you might have served in Friedberg because you were so specific about 3Bde, 3AD. It seemed we might have that in common. I'm sorry if I caused you discomfort.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

redleg wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Apparently I need to do a full layout and inventory because I don't have an accurate count
Uh oh. How many did you sign for?

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Can you say "Report of Survey?".

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I think I have a division or two of US armor.

‘Scrub’ camouflage.

Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I think you do, too. The idea, Chris, is to COUNT them. Otherwise, you jyst have "bunches.". You must do better.
Last edited by panzergator on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I don’t have time, I have to work the next two days. I will have to open GHQ Bunkers Boxes.
I remember several years ago, 10 years plus, counting Abrams on my desk, had 400-500 or so. They were on cardboard flat pieces that were stacked on each other. Later, I remember buying a box on eBay I think, of the old GHQ, very old, Abrams still in the packs. I think they were the old M1 with thicker barrels. There were a couple hundred of them. Since the M1 have thinner barrels now for the 105. Vs 1980s production.
I’ll paint them if I have a ‘box’ battle with anyone, just in case I need another division that day. The battle might need to be on a gym floor with lots of tarps, blankets and drop cloths.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

That's still "bunches," Chris.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

That's a lot of bunches. I still say any fair fight is all of us vs just Chris. Maybe we can pull off the win. :lol:

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Don't need all of us. Just have to be smart. When you are eating an elephant, just take it a bite at a time. And who's gonna be fair? It's not effing Marquis of Queensbury dam rules!

Brigade Commander
E5

panzergator wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:40 am
That's still "bunches," Chris.
Let me give you one word...

Spreadsheets. Spreadsheets are our friends. My first spreadsheet is current vehicle inventory. The next is TO&E quantity. The third subtracts Current from TO&E for shortage / overage. Vehicles across the top and Units by brigade, each battalion broken down by HHC and companies. Companies by HQ and platoons. I have the whole 3rd AD set up in case I cannot stop. But of course I can stop. Anytime I want. But why would I want to?

The totals, by each vehicle, are matched against the individual spreadsheets for each order. That way I cannot lose a single vehicle. All 1350 right now.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Brigade Commander
E5

panzergator wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:19 pm
Brigade Commander,

It isn't a deficiency. Don't apologize. I thought you might have served in Friedberg because you were so specific about 3Bde, 3AD. It seemed we might have that in common. I'm sorry if I caused you discomfort.
Thank you for that panzergator. I have reconciled the choice. I would not have my wife. Kids would be different. Not to be morbid but might not be here. It is a rough and tumble world out there. I do not have to tell all on this forum. So on the whole it worked out.

And for all that did, everywhere - THANK YOU!

For many of us it is never forgotten.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

There is a point, Cama, you must remember. "They also serve who only stand and wait." You made yourself available. That makes you a vet.

Spreadsheets... I have the form, but it isn't filled out. Across the top are units with sub columns underneath each unit of Auth, OH, and Short. That's for Authorized, On Hand, Short. Down the left hand side, I list the vehicle type. The far right columns are for vehicle totals, again Auth, OH, Short by type.

If I filled the form out, I would know how many of each vehicle I needed, how many I had, and how many I was short at a glance. If I would just use it. As it is, this matters most for me when dealing with different era TOEs, as vehicle types and quantities changed. I am familiar enough with the types and numbers of tracks for H and J, but not so much foe E and G, which I'm also intending for my collection. I have about 30 units in being or planned, amounting to a division, two brigades, an ACR squadron (USAREUR), and an ACR regiment (Stateside). One brigade is J series, one will be E series ( if Scotia ever delivers my M59s. One mech battalion in the division be a G series (Vietnam era). I better start filling out that spreadsheet. It would make prioritization of purchases easier.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMS KONIG

Post by SMS KONIG »

I have about 450 T-72 spread over 6 different types

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I feel like such a lightweight! I definitely have some tank envy going on!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com