Infantry squads

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Infantry squads

Post by panzergator »

How many infantry squads do you have? An infantry squad may be represented by a squad vehicle or the figures and if figures, it is you chosen TOE for number in a squad.

Do you have sufficient infantry to support your tanks? Vice versa? My thinking depends on the situation, but I like to have, in general, at least one tank platoon per mech company and one mech platoon per tank company. That isn't how it works out tactically, of course.
Last edited by panzergator on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: Infantry suads

Post by Brigade Commander »

As with the artillery building the brigade at 1:1 for all vehicles I can find or scratch build! Until I find something that contradicts what I have found so far 2-67 ARM, 4-67 ARM and 1-36 Mech are considered complete. For the Mech battalion each dismount squad has a six-figure stand with an "M-60" gunner, an M-79 grenadier and four M-16 soldiers. Platoon leader stands have three figures on them and the company commander stands have four.

I have not finished the dismount stands for all three battalion scout platoons yet. Two of the three are mounted but not painted. Also, have the dismounts to do for the 11th ACR scout tracks to do yet. :( The little, tiny figures drive me crazy. Well, crazier, maybe?!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I still have to inventory the grunts, but I know I am woefully short. At one point I had this idea that I would represent every soldier in a unit, but then I thought about painting 600 little dudes and I moved on.

For my rifle squads I put 4 guys on a base to represent a fireteam - 2 fireteams for a full squad, though I do not have a squad leader. I put MG teams and AT weapons on separate stands. Platoon leader is on a stand by himself (my LTs better not let me catch them having someone carry their radio for them!) and the company commander is 2 stands (he gets an RTO). I also have FO stands (prone binoculars guy and an RTO), a Stinger stand (Stinger guy and a pointing binoculars guy). And finally I have a stand for me! (3 figures on that stand - me and 2 babes). Scouts get 2 guys on a stand, but so far I have only dome it for the ACR - my battalion scouts are represented by just HMMWVs.

Fire team:

Platoon Leader:

Company Commander:

Cav Scouts:
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I use the squad vehicles to count my squads. I just don't buy the people. I'm woefully short infantry squads, not so much by TOE, but my thinking that you need A LOT of infantry, particularly with the Bradley units. I have two battalions of M2s. I'm still short mech in the division. I have the squads in the wrong vehicles for 2 battalions, but will correct that shortly. I think I want to reinforce the division with two additional mech battalions, for a total of 7. Allocating the money is a challenge.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Gazza
E5

Re: Infantry squads

Post by Gazza »

This is (approximately) my WW2 Infantry:

Americans
Armoured Infantry Battalion 36 Infantry Elements (plus .30 cals, .50 cals, 60mm mortars, and Bazooka teams)
Motorised Infantry Battalion 54 Infantry Elements (plus .30 cals, .50 cals, 60mm & 81mm mortars, and Bazooka teams)
Armoured Engineer Company 14 Infantry Elements (plus Bazooka teams)
Paratroop Company 14 Infantry Elements (plus Bazooka teams)

British
Motor Rifle Battalion 58 Infantry Elements (plus Bren, Vickers, PIAT, and 2" & 3" mortar teams)
Motorised Infantry Battalion 66 Infantry Elements (plus Bren, PIAT, and 2" & 3" mortar teams)
Engineer Company 14 Infantry Elements (plus PIAT team)
Paratroop Company 14 Infantry Elements (plus PIAT team)

French
Infantry Battalion (×2) 63 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 60mm & 81mm Mortar teams)

German
Recce Companies (×2) 26 Infantry Elements (plus Pzshk teams)
PANZER GRENADIER RHQ 5 Infantry Elements
Arm'd Eng Company 14 Infantry Elements
Armoured PzGren Battalion 48 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 8.1cm & 12cm mortar, and Pzfst & Pzshk teams)
Motorized PzGren Battalions (×2) 43 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 8.1cm & 12cm mortar, and Pzfst & Pzshk teams)
Fusilier Battalion 43 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 8.1cm mortar, and Pzfst & Pzshk teams) (on & off cycles & horses)
Dismounted Panzer Crew Company 22 Infantry Elements
Dug in Infantry Battalion 48 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG teams)

Russian
Infantry SMG Battalion 37 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, HMG, AA-HMG, 50mm & 82mm mortar, and ATR teams)
Motor SMG Battalion 33 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 82mm mortar, and ATR teams)
Motorised Battalion 48 Infantry Elements (plus SFMG, 82mm mortar, and ATR teams)

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Like Redleg (and I imagine a lot of other players), I base 4 men to a fire team base and 2 for special weapons. I have about 20 heavy weapon teams and 30 fire teams in ultra modern. I need to primer/paint my WWII and cold war Soviets.

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

Just added about another 40 infantry elements to my WW2 Russians in the form of an SMG Battalion and and Engineer Company.

Battalion HQ:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=408 ... 0704981994

First Company:

Second Company:

Third Company:

Engineer Company:

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Like redleg, I have a similar scheme for the ones I have based (and the many I still have yet to base)...

Standard infantry platoon, 4 figures per base
Support weapons (AT, MG, mortars), 3 per base
Command, 1 or 2 per base
Engineers, 5 per base (in a pinch they can be used on the table as plain ole infantry platoon)

Wouldn’t it be great to get engineers as a separate pack??!! Come on GHQ, I’m rootin’ for ya in this!

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I game 1:1 so a squad will reflect its real life organization divided into groups of three or four figures per fire team and 2-3 man crew served weapons and command elements. The pic below is a full strength FJ Company with three platoons each with 2 LMG sections and 1 rifle section. Each platoon also has a schwere section with 2 HMG. The command element and light gun section is also present. There may be an extra light gun and HMG stand floating around...

LMG Team:
Rifle Team:
HMG Team:
Light RCL Gun Team:
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are really great looking troops, Cav Dog!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Haha too many…

Unfortunately, the Vietnam era stuff is based on individual infantry.

WWII

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I'm also basing 4 men to a penny or 2 for heavy weapons. I bought 2 infantry packs and one heavy weapon pack for WWII, Cold War, and Modern Soviets. It makes about 30 infantry stands per period and 25 heavy weapon stands. Only the moderns are painted. The rest are primed and waiting in the queue for my winter projects. I'm assuming that's enough for any fight. Am I wrong?

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great FJ infantry - love that paint job!
Polish, wonderful infantry as well!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of some of my GHQ Afrika Korps infantry as I base them for the Mein Panzer rules by ODGW. Since I don't base my tanks and trucks, I use thin metal bases by Wargames Accesories in various sizes. My infantry squads are based 4 figures to a base that measures 3/4" square. Teams are typically based 2 or 3 figures to a base or a gun with a crew of varying size.

I will change my basing a bit for my Moderns when I base them for Fistful of TOWs 3.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pete and Polish, that's amazing work! You guys take infantry to a whole new level! Fantastic work!