Artillery support

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

EdMott

Re: Artillery support

Post by EdMott »

Sorry, no pictures

They were all green

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

I was researching MERDC and NATO 3-tone a couple of years ago and saw a ground level picture of the side of one. From that angle it was clear the only things to paint were road wheels and the gun tube. Looked like a waste of time and paint. I do not remember which I saw it in.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

EdMott

Post by EdMott »

Since it is under a cammo net when not moving, yes a waste of time

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Kind of like when the instructors at Sill are beating you down for not maintaining noise discipline, and then they want you to start shooting M198s?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Brigade Commander
E5

Only ever so slightly off topic.

Anyone know how many AN/TPS-25 sections the TAB had? I have F / 1-333 FA (TAB) with three AN-TPQ-36 sections and two AN-TPQ-37 sections for the C-RAM / WLR sections from two different sources but cannot pin down how many AN/TPS-25 sections in the Moving Target Locating Radar section.

It discusses a truck (2 1/2 or 5 ton?) with shelter carrying the cable reels, etc and the control section and pulling a 1 1/2 ton trailer carrying the ATG & generator. Then it discusses two 1 1/2 ton vehicles (HMMWV?): one for personnel and one for supplies and generator POL. But not how many sections.

Hoping someone at least passed through the section and may have some insight.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I never saw any GSR in the TABs, but my artillery life only goes back to 1997. I dug through my radar references and nothing in there either. I did see a reference to a TPS-25 section being attached to the 25th ID TAB in Vietnam on the internet. This is from my OBC radar class at Sill, but that was 1997.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Quick update: I located a copy of FM 6-121 (Field Artillery Target Acquisition) dated 1980 and on page 8-4 it discusses TAB organization. It says, "The radar platoon has six radar sections assigned to support the target acquisition mission of the battery: five AN/MPQ-4A weapons-locating radars and one AN/TPS-25A or -58 moving-target-locating radar."

Brigade Commander
E5

redleg wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:43 am
Quick update: I located a copy of FM 6-121 (Field Artillery Target Acquisition) dated 1980 and on page 8-4 it discusses TAB organization. It says, "The radar platoon has six radar sections assigned to support the target acquisition mission of the battery: five AN/MPQ-4A weapons-locating radars and one AN/TPS-25A or -58 moving-target-locating radar."
Thank you Redleg. I saw the same Vietnam article you did. He does not really discuss organization in any depth so I could not get a feel for it. I saw a chart somewhere that seemed to show only one section for the Moving Target Radar so I was leaning in that direction. From all of the radar technical manuals and articles I have read so far the AN/TPS-25A was an upgraded unit. The AN/TPS-25 seems to have been in-service into the mid to late 80's so I am going to include one. Not sure how I will model it dismounted just yet though. The AN/TPQ-36 replaced the AN/MPQ-4A and the AN/TPQ-37 brought about an upgrade in capability over the -36 from what I have read.