Artillery support

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Artillery support

Post by panzergator »

How is your artillery support? Do you have sufficient artillery to provide 1 battery per battalion? (I do not. I am currently short 3 battalions of 155Sp and three MLRS batteries).

Generally I like to have one battery per battalion in direct support in terms of ratio. General support is a bit different, of course.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: Artillery support

Post by Brigade Commander »

As you and I have discussed, I am doing the entire brigade at 1:1. For 2-82 FA (DS) I have all three batteries complete. Since I cover across two TO&E's I have twenty-four howitzers (M-109A6) and FAASV's for immediate resupply to be able to cover either the six-howitzer or eight-howitzer organization as needed. The HHB and Service Battery are being worked on now and then.

As for 1-40 FA (GS) I am close to complete on the firing batteries. I have three M-110A2 batteries for pre-MLRS and I have one nine-launcher MLRS battery as that was the initial level issued. Still working on my big order from the last sale but last week I did a bitz order with some items that I believe will let me build the M-109A3 2 1/2 ton van for the battery FDC for all three batteries. Cannot wait to see how my concept works compared to the pictures I have seen. Then all of the firing batteries will be reasonably done. As with the DS batttalion I am ordering some vehicles from time to time to work on both HHB and Service batteries.

But all tubes and launchers are capable of deployment with immediate reloads following. Part of the reason for using the M-109A6 and FAASV's is I like the visual difference between the guns / reload vehicles between the two types. The M-548's stand out in the one from the FAASV's in the other. Also, the M-110's were facing the end of their shelf life and did not get much attention past a certain point.

*****(BEGIN EDIT) Also, I have 6 M-163 Vulcans and twenty M-998 Avengers for 3-5 ADA. Still not even certain of organization. As soon as I find one source and start designing around it on the ADA I find another which contradicts it. REALLY?!? Panzergator, if you need artillery support before your augmentation arrives feel free to call on us for artillery support.(END EDIT)*****
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Boom baby! You can never have enough artillery!

I have the right ratio of artillery to maneuver, but I don't have the right systems for all of them. For the ACR I'm good - each squadron has a full battery of M109A6 and then I have a battery of extra Paladins. I have full battalions of M109A3, M109A5, M110A2, and M198. I also have M119s, M777s, HIMARS, and MLRS in battery strength.

All of my units are as I knew the Army in 2003, so 6 gun batteries and 18 gun battalions.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Brigade Commander
E5

I think I correctly remember which 7th Army Commander it was but he had his staff challenge HQDA on the decision to first reduce the GS artillery battalion by one battery and add one MLRS battery knowing that that was the first step toward removing the rest of the 8" eventually. They argued, one source said strenuously, keeping a three-battery 8" battalion and adding a three battery, twenty-seven launcher battalion as well. 8th Guards Shock Army and all that artillery across the border will make you a believer in never enough artillery! Maybe I should reinforce 3AD!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I'll TAKE it! Plan is to acquire another 24-piece 155SP battalion, 2 more MLRS batteries, then another 155 battalion. Guns, FAASVs, M577s, FIST-Vs. Have to exercise some self -discipline. A couple Atomic Annies should help, too. I agree. Ya gotta have the guns!

EdMott

Post by EdMott »

When I was in an 8 inch bn, 1986, they had 4 gun battery’s

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Battery size fluctuated from 4 in the H series to 6 in the J series, then back.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I hope I don’t have to paint all my batteries. I also hope I don’t have to get more artillery.
Chris

Brigade Commander
E5

panzergator wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 am
I'll TAKE it! Plan is to acquire another 24-piece 155SP battalion, 2 more MLRS batteries, then another 155 battalion. Guns, FAASVs, M577s, FIST-Vs. Have to exercise some self -discipline. A couple Atomic Annies should help, too. I agree. Ya gotta have the guns!
Have all of my FIST-V's for the DS battalion. Wanted an H-series look to the GS battalion so I am using M-934's for the maneuver brigade and maneuver battalions Fire Support Sections instead of M-577's. Admittedly the M-934's are a little expensive but you do not need many. And they look, you know, just cool!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Brigade Commander, sent you email regarding products.

Chris, you can never have enough artillery. Get more. But stop buying that truck-mounted French stuff.

Brigade Commander
E5

panzergator wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:28 pm
Brigade Commander, sent you email regarding products.
Read and responded to. Thank you.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

EdMott wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:11 am
When I was in an 8 inch bn, 1986, they had 4 gun battery’s
Ed, What unit were you in / where were you stationed? I always wanted to shoot 8"!

Saint Barbara's Day is coming you guys - better get some artillery pics ready!

EdMott

Post by EdMott »

1-21FA, 1st CAV, FT Hood

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

PG, the rumors that I have painted any French truck mounted 155 are exaggerated.
I have not painted any.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey Ed, you got any pictures of those big 8" beasts? I've always painted mine all green, but I assume the units painted them NATO camo?