How picky are you guys?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

nashorn88
E5

Re: How picky are you guys?

Post by nashorn88 »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:53 am
My last batch of M60s had some mild mold issues. My recent purchase of M1A1s had some decent mold lines.. I chalked the latter to the fact that the mold is old at this point. However, the PZIV Hs with side skirts had Torn up side skirts. See below.

This one is a little better and can be fixed easy enough.

In addition, I have two Strykers that there are holes where the metal was too thin. Need to make a phone call, but I keep putting it off. I think there quality inspection might be slipping. Still great products though.

O an yes, its all fun and games till someone messes with the M60s.
That’s looks like battle damage ....nice!....lol

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Trust me, I thought about that. Lol. Worse case I model it that way.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

I e-mailed GHQ about the description of the new Colossus class carrier pointing out that they never carried Spitfires. It's also not correct that none were deployed before the end of WW2. While it's a nice model, Spitfires (or even Seafires) are not correct and they should have Corsairs and Barracudas for WW2 or Sea Furies and Fireflies for Korea. It's clear that whoever drafted the text did not have any expertise in this area and if GHQ make these sort of errors, it undermines confidence in the underlying research across the range. You pay a steep premium for GHQ models and this isn't good enough, especially when GHQ doesn't correct things when the error is pointed out!
CG2

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I agree. There are many books available in libraries or for purchase. Comprehensive books on naval shipe from many countries cover this stuff in detail and even a minimum of research answers these questions easily. Too many assumptions are being made. These aren't movie props where allowances must be made. Theseare supposed to be accurate models and some quality control should be excercised. Even consulting a few of us her on the forum might be a good start. In my subject field, I would do it for free.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

As would I. I appreciate GHQ is under pressure due to COVID and the Minneapolis situation but this is basic knowledge if you are going to have a warship range and it's not like GHQ don't already make Corsairs - even just changing the wording from 'Spitfire' to 'Seafire' would be a start!
CG2

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

It's the same with the M1A2 sep tusk II. They have the commanders gun with protective bucket and the remote gun station. However I cannot find one picture with both mounted. Mainly, my evaluation, the remote gun station is mounted in front of the commanders hatch, not between the two hatches. Plus the box the remote gun station box it's mounted in does not exist from what I can tell. Beautiful sculpt, but big mistake. I deleted the remote gun station and filled the hole. I will still order more, but they sadly will not have the remote gun station. They should have two different turrets for each config. Which brings me back to them making different turrets that can be bought separately.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 am
It's the same with the M1A2 sep tusk II. They have the commanders gun with protective bucket and the remote gun station. However I cannot find one picture with both mounted. Mainly, my evaluation, the remote gun station is mounted in front of the commanders hatch, not between the two hatches. Plus the box the remote gun station box it's mounted in does not exist from what I can tell. Beautiful sculpt, but big mistake. I deleted the remote gun station and filled the hole. I will still order more, but they sadly will not have the remote gun station. They should have two different turrets for each config. Which brings me back to them making different turrets that can be bought separately.
Exactly they should be making just packs of turrets so I can upgrade. That other company uses to for the M60a3 and I upgrade hundreds of them.
With 3D printers there days maybe able to print your own one day.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I would love to have some of my Bradley's, without reactive armor, to have the sensor that is on the reactive armor sensor.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Yes, I liked that turret-only package. But that compamy's M60A3 is more M60A1, which is what I use their A3 for. They make up the tank companies of my ACR. Thse turrets have a searchlight and barrel jacket, but they are more M60A1(RISE/AOS.), which package incliuded the smoke grenade launchers. I converted 10 A2s from that company. I would have converted the whole battalion of A2s from that company, but the turret package is discontinued.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

cama wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 pm
Not sure if 3D printers are good enough for 1:285.
The ones that Shapeways uses are. I assume they use something similar to what you are referring to. If I misunderstood you above stop reading here. :)

All of my tractor-trailers, cargo (M-915 / M-872BB) | fuel (M-915 / M-969A1) | lowboys (two series), are and so are the front-end loader / backhoes (M-480) for the engineers as well as generator trailers and shop trucks. My FSB and Eng Co could not get along without them. The Engineer's M-105's on M-920 / M-870 lowboys do look cool. I have M-911 / M-747 lowboys for heavier recovery. Plus the Shop / Office truck for the 54th FSB Maint Co and the 1-40 FA (GS) and the 3-5 ADA for the batteries. The plastic is too brittle to do anything with, other than paint, and I joke with my wife that they will blow over if one of her cats sneezes anywhere in the house but they are service-able. So far all have nice detail. I still wish GHQ made them though. :( It would be nice to have them be a little more solid. It has taken me a few years to accept that not everything can be covered by GHQ. But I will still ask. Now and again.

And am, slowly, working on getting a way to post pictures and you can see that they fit right in.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

My son has two 3D printers. One uses a spool and the other resin. Both are more than good enough for 1/285. The only problem I have found is that the models produced can be a bit fragile. I PREFER GHQ metal at the moment, but they don't always make what I need. 3D printers fill in the blanks in many cases.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

As for 3D items they seem to get better but not anywhere close to GHQ Quality.
There is a company oversea that’s uses a 3-D master den produces in metal.
Their Panther tank is comparable to GHQ. But after shipping cost it’s only .50 cheaper per item.
All the ones I had purchased were perfect in ever way.
Maybe it’s fresh molds?
I do notice GHQ usually not 100% perfect but when I’m doing mass amounts I don’t care that much.
I’m more picky when I’m only getting 4 items or less per pack.
I have thousands of GHQ miniatures that clearly has a mold line. But but after a camo you don’t even notice.
GHQ main competitor in the US were always perfect. I literally have thousands of their models and each one is perfect 100%. They had the best quality control from what I could tell.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I admit that I am pretty picky and that is why I use GHQ almost exclusively for my 1/285th needs currently. There are a couple other manufacturers out there that have good quality but I still think GHQ makes the best overall.

I have sent some pieces back for exchange for a variety of reasons. Sometimes there is a mold shift, mold is excessively old resulting in too much extra "crud" in areas like the suspension, gun barrels that are bent beyond recognition, broken or smashed pieces etc. I know GHQ is a small business so I am careful not to overdo it here. They have provided excellent customer service to me in the past and I appreciate it.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

My order was waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday! One of the first packs I opened was the lone pack of M-113A3's. And what did I find, or more accurately not find, but one of the track commanders behind his .50. D'Oh! It was undercoated today with the rest of the first batch to do. Not sure what to do with it yet but it will get painted.

All but a few of the first 68 vehicles of my order of 218 are going to Medical units in different battalions and the Medical company in the FSB. Will do the three medevac Blackhawks in a later batch. Also ordered five packs of Red Cross decals. Already used up most of the first four packs of decals from last Thanksgiving's sale.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

I honestly never had a QC issue with GHQ products in the past. though I tend to just go with i have, and do something creative with the misprint.