WW2 Soviets

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

CG2
E5

WW2 Soviets

Post by CG2 »

I've ben reviewing my WW2 Soviets as I haven't gamed with them for a while and I can see that there are still some gaps in the GHQ range that would be nice to fill. They are mainly in the support area but my thoughts are that the following would be useful :

- Voroshilovets Heavy Artillery Tractor
- 85mm AA gun
- Polikarpov Po-2 Communications Aircraft
- Small red star decals for vehicles

Anything else essential?
CG2

Nepty
E5

Re: WW2 Soviets

Post by Nepty »

Try I-94 Enterprises. They have small red star decals. Great decals !
GHQ was suppose to team up with them but I do not know what happened.

Nepty

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

I would like to see a BT-7, for Khalkhin Gol and Barbarossa.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

I did look at I-94 but you don't get many stars for your money and postage from the USA is very expensive.
CG2

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

Yes - BT-7 is a good spot. The BT-8 (or BT-7M) is close but not quite right for the earlier period.
CG2

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

Found these decals - they seem better value!

(link removed - rules etc.)
CG2

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I would like to see the BT-7A artillery tank armed with the 76mm gun as a support tank. There were 155 of these made according to Wikipedia.

I also vote for the BT-7 but am wondering how close the turret is to the BT-5. I am assuming that we are talking the earlier BT-7 1933 type. Were there any other differences externally. I am curious. I have GHQ's BT-8 aka BT-7M and the BT-5 and the turret for the BT-5 and earlier BT-7 look very similar. Still, if GHQ decided to do an earlier type BT-7 that would be fine with me.

I am happy to see GHQ coming out with the T-34 1940. This will be good for Barbarossa scenarios as well.

How about a Russian Heavy Weapons pack #2, This would include Maxim MGs with a 2 man crew, 82mm mortars w. 2 man crew, 50 mm mortars, LMG gunners and ATR riflemen advancing - similar to the ones in the American and British infantry #2 packs.

All the rest as noted by CG-2 and the others sound good to me.

Pete

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I forgot to add the earlier T-26 as well. This one has the older style turret at least.

Pete

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Russian sailors
Armored Train
Engineers

madman
E5

Post by madman »

Flight Deck Decals. Look at 1/300 range and click on Russian and Soviet stars.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Only trains I know of are heroics and ros in UK. Primitive but usable until we get a better one.

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

Flight Deck decals look good and they only $4.25 for shipping to the UK, not $15 or more like the others.
CG2

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Yeah that one armored train is very primitive to say the least. Dunno how well a GHQ one would sell but given some of the more obscure items they sell I bet it’d do just fine. I’ve had to get my rail cars off of shapeways, how cool would it be for GHQ to enter that realm??

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

CG2 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:42 am
I did look at I-94 but you don't get many stars for your money and postage from the USA is very expensive.
You can get the I-94 decals from Minibits/Pendraken in the UK. Postage is around 5% of order if memory serves. (minimum of £2.50ish)

Heroics and Ros also do a 85mm AA gun and Po-2 as well as the armoured train if you're not too fussy.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I bought a few sets of Hornby plastic planning track which is just the right scale and looks great. I will have to post some pictures of it. The track seems to be the perfect size and they’re easy to paint and mount. They are interlocking so it’s pretty seamless.

I think the armored train would be well worth the price of admission even though it’s a lot of pewter. Perhaps this is where GHQ should team up with somebody on the tracks because it would be much cheaper and simpler to sell those as a resin or plastic item.

I would also love a German a Armour Train, particularly those incorporating pants turrets etc.