Modern Naval Scenario Theaters and Ideas

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

embuchho

Modern Naval Scenario Theaters and Ideas

Post by embuchho »

I'd like to start a thread where people propose modern naval scenarios and theaters.

In the next 20 years, what kinds of things would realistically (or semi-realistically) happen in the Baltic Sea? The Barents? Around China (that's obvious with Taiwan but what else?) What would involve Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines? In the Med?

Persian Gulf, Gulf of Aden, and Horn of Africa are obvious... but still, what kind of interesting scenarios can we discuss?

Thanks, for your ideas, folks.

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: Modern Naval Scenario Theaters and Ideas

Post by Brigade Commander »

embuchho wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm
I'd like to start a thread where people propose modern naval scenarios and theaters.

In the next 20 years, what kinds of things would realistically (or semi-realistically) happen in the Baltic Sea? The Barents? Around China (that's obvious with Taiwan but what else?) What would involve Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines? In the Med?

Persian Gulf, Gulf of Aden, and Horn of Africa are obvious... but still, what kind of interesting scenarios can we discuss?

Thanks, for your ideas, folks.
Perhaps add a discussion of what would the players be fighting with. As much as I love them the Ticonderoga's are "getting a little long in the tooth" as the saying goes. What will be in their place? The Arleigh Burke's are not kids {Kidds :) } anymore either. Will everything be unmanned surface, sub-surface and aerial vehicles? I hope not but if you are in a conflict you might not feel as strongly if the vessels at the tip of the spear are not crewed by you. Maybe it will be missiles at five hundred miles? Plenty to discuss here as well.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Great questions there but I was just trying to figure out what was going one around the world at sea.

How things will be fought is another (though fascinating) topic.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

embuchho wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:35 am
Great questions there but I was just trying to figure out what was going one around the world at sea.

How things will be fought is another (though fascinating) topic.
I was looking at the fact that the tools you have, or not, tend to dictate to you whether you get to fight on your terms or the opponents. One side or another may want to force the issue in say the South China Sea but can only if they possess the better tools for that fight. Anti-piracy could make a great what-if game but no modern navy is really equipped for that fight. Does not mean they cannot but it does mean it will be costlier than most navies want or it would have already happened. That was where I was going with this. My $0.02, which with the coin shortage in the US, may come to $0.0223. :)
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Pirates or drug runners vs small frigates make sense, extra interesting if in crowded waters and/or with islands like Indonesia and Malaysia.

embuchho

Post by embuchho »

Here's something interesting.

China claims more ocean as their own, the US (and presumably Japan and UK) deliberately steams through these unrecognized water areas.

China also builds artificial islands and builds facilities on them (or on otherwise uninhabited islands) to expand their territory. Vietnam challenged this and lost three ships and a bunch of marines back in the 1980s, poor guys.

China has been shooting lasers at aircraft who challenge their actions. Russia has also done this in the past (I know a guy....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI2YvSI ... aphicsShow

This is the kind of thing I was looking for to describe what kinds of things have been happening in what kinds of seas.

Can y'all provide more? Thanks!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I recently happened on the Naval Wargames Society website and they have a section with scenarios. Some interesting ideas on here:

http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/scenarios.html
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

There are scenario ideas at Harp Gamer.