Korean War Micronauts

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

hussar62

Re: Korean War Micronauts

Post by hussar62 »

A suggestion. Bridges Over Toko-Ri was made in 1953-54 so contemporary to the time of your interest. Since it was shot in color it could give you some idea on paint schemes. A Google search for Bridges Over Toko-Ri had some nice photos in the images section of the deck. While I think the carrier used in the movie is Oriskany, the deck would be similar in color to Valley Forge.
Tom

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

hussar62 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:43 pm
A suggestion. Bridges Over Toko-Ri was made in 1953-54 so contemporary to the time of your interest. Since it was shot in color it could give you some idea on paint schemes. A Google search for Bridges Over Toko-Ri had some nice photos in the images section of the deck. While I think the carrier used in the movie is Oriskany, the deck would be similar in color to Valley Forge.
Nice suggestion hussar62.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hell yes - that's a great idea Hussar! I've never seen the movie, but I read the book back in the day. I did just order a book on Ess-ex class carriers from Amazon today and it should arrive by the weekend. Hopefully it will have some color photos from Korea.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty sure I will have many many many more questions for the brain trust.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

hussar62

Post by hussar62 »

Redleg,
Came across this recently. It is footage actually shot on the Valley Forge. She is launching a deck load of Skyraiders and Corsairs. Its in B&W so no help with painting the miniature, but as you have a personal connection to the ship though you might find it interesting. https://youtu.be/F1dF9wQ3VwY
Tom

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome! Thanks, Hussar!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I just got my Flight Deck Decals in the mail. Now all I need is the carrier to put them on! I didn't know which ones I was going to need so I ordered both, but now I see that I need the white numbers for the Korean War. This will be my first time using these decals - anyone have any advice for me? Do I need to paint the deck before I apply them? Do I need to use distilled water or anything crazy like that?

I got a hold of a book that has lots of photos of the carriers in Korea - they're all black and white, but some pretty good information in them. And it looks like I'm going to be painting all of the aircraft blue. Anyone have any recommendations for which shade of blue is best? I ordered the USN 1950s fighters from Shapeways that will give me Banshees and Panthers, but I didn't find the set with the Skyraiders. Worst case I will just go with the fighters.

And one last question: Can I just use regular crazy glue to glue the tiny aircraft onto a decal flight deck? Will that mess up the decal at all?

Hellfish6

Post by Hellfish6 »

Guroburov wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 pm
Hi, it's under SNAFUstore. He has two USN 50s one with early fighters the other has skyraiders.
He made me a custom 1/700 aircraft carrier in about a day. Yeah, he's pretty great. Those Shapeways prices, though... :|

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I got some Ess-ex class goodness in the mail today! There sure are a lot of tiny little pieces to glue on!

I'm going to take my time and clean the model up real good, prime it, paint it and apply a wash and focus on the details before putting the deck decal on. You know....everything that I should be doing for every model, but that I normally rush through because I want instant gratification!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I understand completely. I trimmed all of my soviet ships but waiting for tomorrow to start gluing. Probably be Spring Break before I can primer and start painting (weather delays). I want to paint now but need to go slowly to do it right.

STS

Post by STS »

redleg wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:14 am
This will be my first time using these decals - anyone have any advice for me? Do I need to paint the deck before I apply them? Do I need to use distilled water or anything crazy like that?
Take a look at the flightdecal home page. He's got some pretty good guides as to how to apply his decals and explains a lot of the basics, as to why you have to take certain steps (e.g. why use gloss coat underneath)

https://www.flightdeckdecals2400.com/ho ... ply-declas
https://www.flightdeckdecals2400.com/gl ... ecals-tips
https://www.flightdeckdecals2400.com/cl ... decal-faqs

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I guess I should have tried reading the instructions first! One of my major character flaws!

Does anyone have experience with the Ticonderoga model - stretched Ess-ex class? The deck and hull are 2 different pieces and the grooves on the bottom of the deck piece align nicely with the top of the hull. Only problem is that the deck is now off-enter when the grooves are lined up. I think I need to do some grinding and filing on her to get the deck centered, but wondering if this is a common problem.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I'm curious too if this is just a defect or if you need to grind it to make it fit. My OCD though can't help but notice in your photo you have the flight deck backwards compared to the hull. Sorry, it just makes me fidgit.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

LOL sorry Guroburov! I'll take another pic tonight with the deck on top to illustrate the off-set, and then I'll start filling and grinding!

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Hi Redleg et al,

Been a very long time since I have been on this forum. Close to 7 years in fact. Ran across your post while looking around. First, thank you for your support in the deck decals. Second, don't ever hesitate (anyone reading this) to shoot me an email with any decal questions. Yes, even if they are not my decals, I will be happy to help if I can. Like you I love the hobby and GHQ models so always willing to help others in their hobby/addition.

As for your question about the Tico deck not being centered when you align to the hull tabs, this is actually correct. The deck should not be completely center lined with the hull. The port side (look for the elevator) should overhang the hull more than the starboard side. Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Dan

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Dan! And welcome back! I guess it's a good thing I got busy and I haven't hacked on the carrier deck!

So here is a shot of the carrier with the deck fitted but not glued. Is it supposed to be this far off? I use the AA gun pits on the bow and stern as my guide since they seem to be center-line on the hull.

From the bottom, the deck looks like it's been further off-center. Is this legit for the deck and hull alignment?