Korean War Micronauts

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Korean War Micronauts

Post by redleg »

Hey guys, I’m getting ready to start a new project and I need some advice.

My grandfather served aboard the USS Valley Forge (CV-45) during the Korean War and I want to model the ship as it would have been at that time. I’m going to order the Ticonderoga model (USN53) because the Valley Forge was a stretched ** CENSORED ** class and I don’t think there were too many structural changes between WW2 Ticonderoga and Korean War Valley Forge. So here’s where I need help:

1. What colors are best for US Navy ships during 1951? My local hobby store carries Tamiya paint, but I’m sure I can order just about any paint brand I need online.

2. Where can I get 1/2400 scale Skyraiders, Banshees, and Panthers? I know I can get Corsairs, but I would like some of the other aircraft on deck as well.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Re: Korean War Micronauts

Post by MechCommander »

honestly Kinda in the same boat as you are Redleg, I too have a grandfather who served in the Royal Canadian Navy about that time as a crewman onboard ether HMCS Fraser or HMCS Skenna a St Laurent class DDE later DDH.

As for paint scheme I think they use the standard light grey for the US ships around that time.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

I will check when I get home but assuming I remember it correctly the gray was a little darker than the current Haze gray. The flight deck would have been a really dark gray from the anti-skid. If Don sees this he will confirm or correct me where wrong.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the info fellas. I found a few pictures and some drawings online. I may just experiment with some colors until I find the right shades of gray. Hopefully I can get the correct flight deck decals!

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Brigade Commander wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:27 am
I will check when I get home but assuming I remember it correctly the gray was a little darker than the current Haze gray. The flight deck would have been a really dark gray from the anti-skid. If Don sees this he will confirm or correct me where wrong.
Sorry, I only have one source for what she was painted and it indicates the Valley Forge was commissioned in MS-21 (1945) which was all Navy Gray except the deck which was, of course, Deck Gray. Navy Gray was darker than the current Haze Gray but it is too new a scheme for when I am modelling so have nothing painted in it to compare. None of the photos that I have found so far are helpful in telling the actual color.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Yeah, most of my Korean War research only had black and white photos. The few color ones looked like a pale form of Navy Grey with a darker deck. Finding those aircraft may be difficult, even with shapeways. Wonder if you can mod any existing aircraft?

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

I agree that USN53 is the best model for a Korean War era USS Valley Forge.
I don't have any good references for post-WWII aircraft carrier deck colors, so I'll pass on this part of the question.
I can't find any 1/2400 scale Skyraiders, Banshees, or Panthers. All of these are available online in larger scales from various 3D printing sites. The lack is surprising, especially for the Skyraiders, considering their long service. The best I can do is add a vote for Cold War era Korean War USA carrier aircraft.
Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Come on redleg don't cut corners.
Just build it in 1/285.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for all the help guys! I did find a website that was pretty interesting and it had a color drawing of the Valley Forge in a light gray: http://donhollway.com/toko-ri/ I have enough random hulls missing pieces to experiment with for paint colors. And I think I'll just order both sets of deck decals and see which one looks better.

Thanks, Don, please do ad a vote for Korean War naval aircraft for me! I'm not sure ow I'm going to approach that part yet.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Mick, you are a bad influence! My wife would not approve of me hanging around with guys like you. Next thing you know I'll be smoking cigarettes and building a 1/285 scale air wing to go on my carrier. But maybe if I use those tiny magnets I could make the wings fold. The flight deck would just be a flat piece of styrene or wood....hmmm

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I did finally find some aircraft on shapeways in the aircraft section labeled as USN aircraft 1950s, I believe. But pricey and most of the aircraft are in the stowed position. I'll also add my vote for figures from GHQ.

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

For Shapeways USN aircraft 1950s, could you identify the manufacturer? I couldn't find this product.

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Hi, it's under SNAFUstore. He has two USN 50s one with early fighters the other has skyraiders.

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

He's very helpful and will do requests so if you need less folded wings he'll do that.
CG2

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome! Thanks guys - I'll be hitting that guy up very soon! I just ordered the ship and decals last night so hopefully I can get started soon.