Korean War Micronauts

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

CAMK9A

Re: Korean War Micronauts

Post by CAMK9A »

Looks to be somewhat skewed to port forward. Not so much aft, I think.

Should be correctable with a little work.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Yes sir. That looks about right if I visually compensate for the camera angle of your pic. There is some play between the deck and the hull alignment guides. When you are ready to attach, keep it tight on the side with the elevator as that will be most visible on the finished model.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

That's cool to know to expect the skew on this model.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Found a couple of pictures that might help. They have to be taken at specific angles to even notice the off-set:

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the great info and pics guys! My goal is to get the hull and deck put together this weekend and apply a primer.

I assume that it's best to paint and weather the superstructure separately and the apply the decal prior to adding the island?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Can be done any of those ways. Really dealer's choice. If the island is large and there is plenty of room for glue to not bleed over into the decal, I prefer to add island after decal. Just makes the decal app a bit easier. The risk is the glue can cause some discoloration if it gets on the decal. If you go the other way, the decal can hid some dried glue seepage.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

It's taken me months to get this far! I was working on the Valley Forge, but then I got frustrated with it so I set it aside and worked on some other projects. I'm finally getting back to it and it's getting close.

Once I got the hull and flight deck together in a way that I liked I put a base coat of gray on it and then I tried to put a wash on it to bring the detail out. Didn't really turn out too well, but I did get the flight deck decal on and that part looks pretty good (except for a very small tear)!

I'm going to do some dry brushing on some of the detail, and then I need to paint the aircraft. I got some Panthers and Banshees from shapeways so I'll get them painted up blue and glued onto the deck.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Holy Shnikey Redleg, that looks magnificent. Lets see some other views of it.. At least a side view.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:28 am
Holy Shnikey Redleg, that looks magnificent. Lets see some other views of it.. At least a side view.
Speaking of Magnificent. planning on doing HMCS Magnificent when I get the Colossus Class CVL.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

That’s a good looking Carrier Red, let’s see some more pictures

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Nice work - can’t wait to see aircraft on it!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I think I have culminated with the ship itself. I swear I did a wash on it! It really doesn't look like it though - maybe I made it too thin and then wiped it all off on accident! I am still trying to dial in my washing skills, but I will try on another ship in the future There is a lot of detail on this model that doesn't really pop out at you with this paint job. On a positive note - the flight deck decals are awesome! I will be using these for every carrier I build in the future!

The only thing I have left to do is put some aircraft on the deck. I think I will have the aircraft parked on the rear of the flight deck, with a couple planes up front getting ready to launch. Still not too sure about the aircraft paint though. In the pics I've seen, the planes seemed pretty shiny, so I used Tamiya gloss Royal Blue (color X-3) on this Panther. At this scale is it better to leave the planes glossy, or is it better to dull it down?

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Redleg,

Your carrier looks better than you think. I would be honored to have that in my shipyard and fleet. Keep up the good work and I bet if you compare this ship to ones in the future, you will see a noticeable improvement.

Here is what my favorite youtuber has to say about this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F4cB-l6ec8

I think we can all agree, your stuff is showing signs of improvement on every new project. Keep up the good work.

Also, I think you nailed the color on your aircraft. I have been to many air shows and all the navy blue aircraft back in WWII and Korea had a shine to them. At least the ones I saw at airshows. I think even Vietnam era Grey navy aircraft had a gloss color finish to them. A contrast from the modern stuff.. But I am no expert. Someone smarter than me would need to chime in.

Also agree about the decals. I do not think I will ever create a carrier without these Decals. Way to go Flight Deck Decals. You are an amazing service. You take ordinary and make them look extraordinary.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the video link Hoth! Words of wisdom! And now that I think about it- this ship is good enough! I'll do another one soon and hopefully it will be a litrle.bit better!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg,
That carrier look great, fabulous. Well done.
Chris