Reviving Micro Armour Paints

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BrianH1

Reviving Micro Armour Paints

Post by BrianH1 »

Regarding the GHQ Micro Armour Atmospherics acrylic paints, that I find I get very good results with but the shelf life does not seem as long as some other brands of paint. I have a number of jars that are getting very thick (like molasses) and some that are almost solid (like chewing gum) :( , what is the best way to revive them? I was thinking adding several drops of distilled water plus a drop of dish washing detergent?

pvt64
    E5

Re: Reviving Micro Armour Paints

Post by pvt64 »

BrianH1,
    The water should do the trick for you.

Tom

Brigade Commander
    E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

If I have used a paint for an extended time I have gotten to adding two or three drops of water and mixing them again before closing. If they are going to sit for an extended time I may stir them to check their consistency periodically and if not sure will put one, maybe two, drops of water in then stir again and seal. I try not to do it too frequently because I could end up watering the color down.

The molasses ones are recoverable. Take your time and add only a drop or so and work it. Too much water can obviously shift the color. My success rate is less than 100% on the chewing gum consistency. You will just have to work it and be patient. GHQ's paints are great, especially for my ships' camouflage, but I it is their jars that cause the paint drying problems I am sure. I have even tried putting the jars in sealable storage bags and squeezing all the air out before finishing sealing it shut but not at a 100% success rate with it. One jar out of the five in the one bag dried out.
    "It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

BrianH1

Post by BrianH1 »

Thanks I will try those ideas, maybe also storing them in a tupperwear container or plastic bag.