Vehicle Cargo Loads

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Brigade Commander
E5

Vehicle Cargo Loads

Post by Brigade Commander »

Between my HEMMT's, M-872 Break-bulk trailers and M-872 flatbed trailers it always appears they are running empty. And, yes, I now have "Running On Empty..." stuck in my head. Anyone have any success making loads for their open-topped cargo vehicles? I have been trying a few odds and ends of Evergreen and Plastruct plastic pieces but have not come up with anything that does not make me cringe. I was trying to etch lines in the tops of plastic pieces to look from the top like 2' x 2' boxes (ammo / food?) and 2' x 4' boxes (Redeye / TOW missiles?) on pallets. I do not remember if the 40" x 48" pallet was out in the mid 1980's but that is the size I am trying for. I know the 48" x 48" was not yet out. Those were not until the mid(?) 1990's.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

rdenman62
E5

Re: Vehicle Cargo Loads

Post by rdenman62 »

Shapeways make 1/285 pallets and drums. Also they have cargo for 1/350 aircraft carriers that you may be able to use. I do know that 1/350 photo etch sets and 1/700 photo etch sets that a company makes consists of crates and boxes. The company name escapes me but you can google it.
I’ve used 1/700 photo etch ships handrails for racks on my m2 Bradley’s
Peace thru superior firepower

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Ok I was confused..lol.. they are made out of resin and the company is L’arsenal
Peace thru superior firepower

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I know I've seen a company that makes 6mm cargo.....I think. It could be just barrels, but I will check tonight. I have it book marked on my computer at home. For some reason I do a lot of surfing while at work!

Chris has done a lot of cargo for his trucks. I think mostly tarps over the cargo in the rear and they look really good. I intend to try that with some of my trucks too.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

One thing I have done is put a long narrow piece of styrene down glued into the flatbed. Then paint truck. Then prime aluminum foil, cut piece off to put in flatbed glueing it in. Hand brush paint color of choice. Sometimes look a little grey or faded olive.

Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Balsa covered in foil and painted or balsa painted as raw wood, various shapes for crates.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I found the website that I was thinking about, but I had forgotten that it was in the UK. It's called Perfect Six Miniatures and under 6mm scenics and terrain there are drums, jerry cans, crates, etc. I think I will try to make my own until GHQ comes out woth some.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Thanks All for the ideas. I had thought about putting some plastic structural shape to fill the bed and doing the aluminum foil as a tarp but was not sure if:
1) it would hold the paint and
2) it was prototypical.

I have not seen any M-872 break-bulk trailers with tarps over the loads so I was not sure if the Army even had semi-trailer tarps. And does the paint hold? I assume it does since Chris has some vehicles using it. And Chris, they do look cool. Nice job! I guess if it is not poked and prodded too much!? Part of me just wants to have crate & barrel (pun intended!) showing in the cargo bed. 40" x 48" at 1:285 is rather small to be cutting up for.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Prime it first. I use it fir 1/35.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

battlewarrior

Post by battlewarrior »

i was looking for loads for airdrops and trucks as well

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike »

Hello all,

I recently purchased some cargo loads from Perfect Six Miniatures. With a just a couple of exceptions I found them too big for 1/285 scale.

Mike

cg3

Post by cg3 »

I just get barrels, pallets etc from Thingiverse and scale them to size and print them on a 3D printer. It really is the easiest and quickest way and once you've got file you can print as many as you like.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I’ve done the tinfoil method many many times, it works well and holds the paint well after you prime it. I think it looks pretty darn good!!

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Tanker Mike wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:13 am
I recently purchased some cargo loads from Perfect Six Miniatures. With a just a couple of exceptions I found them too big for 1/285 scale.
I've got their crates and barrels too. I use them for Adeptus Titanicus basing as the pieces are mostly too large for 1/285. I do have a handful of ZIL-157 with Perfect 6 barrels and crates in the tray, but they are definitely oversize.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

Splod wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:21 am
I do have a handful of ZIL-157 with Perfect 6 barrels and crates in the tray, but they are definitely oversize.
Heroics & Ros do a strip of 10 oil drums (ACC4) which are about 3mm high and 2mm wide. Here's a few of them with a GHQ Sherman for scale. Apologies that they're not finished.