Curse You Pete Skaar 🤭

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pvt64
E5

Re: Curse You Pete Skaar 🤭

Post by pvt64 »

Perhaps most of us look back fondly at our service as a time when we were doing something meaningfull, however miserable we might have been doing it.

Panzergator,
You could not be more accurate!

Tom

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I appreciate your service, Tom! You have a very interesting career that you can be proud of.

I respect all the branches of the Military. Each has its own focus and hazards. I currently run a used book store at Luke AFB called Captain Book. Almost all of my customers are either active duty, retired military, or their dependents. It is a great gig for me for the last almost 12 years and I enjoy serving again in a slightly different way.

I had Gulf Strike for a while but never got around to playing it. It was one of the first games out by Victory Games and I bought a copy in the PX in Germany while I was there in the 1980s. I still have lots of board games but have been focusing on getting more of my miniatures done so I can play some more games with those.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Pvt64,

Seeing that Independence class carrier was an intereting experience. As I recall, it was one of four built, at the behest of FDR, on a cruiser hull. Proved fast, but less stable than other light carriers.

Your Marine experience took you places the Army never would have. Count yourself lucky. That you recognized the opportunity, took advantage, and appreciated it gives you a lifetime of worthwhile memories.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pvt64
E5

Post by pvt64 »

Pete and Panzer,
It's a shame that we all cannot get togaether and game and talk. Would be fun.

Tom

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I love listening to all the experiences that you all have had and I especially love learning from all of you. Its been an incredible experience that I can't get enough of. I thank you all for your service.. I love the idea of a gathering.. I would love to be able to listen to all your stories and game with you, though I know you might be think more of a former military gathering.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Guys, we can game at my house in Birmingham, AL, USA. You are welcome.
Chris

pvt64
E5

Post by pvt64 »

:D :D :D :D

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you, Chris! If I happen to get out to your neck of the woods in Alabama, I will let you know.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Right with you, Cama. Greatgrandfather served in the Kaiser's army before emigrating from Baden-Baden. Attended seminary in Rochester, NY, then on to Nebraska, where he left the priesthood, read law, published a newspaper, and served in the Nebraska National Guard. He fought in the Spanish-American War as a captain, became the state adjutant general, gained a regular commission, and returned to the Philippines to contract one of the diseases there, died aboard ship on the return trip. His two boys, one of whom was my grandfather, took commissions, Granddad in Cavalry. He served in WWI and WWII. His boys also served, my dad as a combat photographer in Signal Corps and his brother as a B24 navigator and after, reverted to his original branch, Cavalry, to serve in 13th Constabulary. Brother died before returning Stateside. Third son was post-war ADA officer. Dad went to OCS after the war, got a Signal Corps commission, married my mom, who was also in the Army, They had 4 boys. Youngest couldn't go in (diabetic), but the older three did, two of us through ROTC, and the Tyoe A through USMA. I was Armor, the other two Infantry. Of my two paternal cousins one was a Signal officer and the other a Naval officer. My niece is a Naval officer, but my generation decided enough was enough with the kids, so we sold the family business. There was some regret, but it was time.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Cool story PG.
Chris

whoa Mohamed
E5

Post by whoa Mohamed »

My experience
Basic in 1981 Ft Knox
AIT at Ft Sam Combat medics course 91B then Enlisted Nurse course With Goat lab 91C.
Orders for 121 Evac hospital, those orders rescinded upon arrival sent to 2ID 1/23 light infantry.
Dec 1982 Ft Hood Tx 1/77 FA
Did a Reforger came back ETS’ed.
Went into LEO 1985
1987 went into PMC until semiretirement recalled in 2003 SRP’d At Ft Benning, Camp Doha Kuwait, crossed the berm to Mosul up HWY 1, roamed all over with just about every Branch in country returned to Kuwait after 12 months to Camp Arafjan took R&R then returned for 2 Nd tour. Did both Falujas attached to Multinational Security Transition Command IRaq. Returned to states in 05. Talisman saber 05 then Germany the retirement in 09.
every man for all mens rights
all men for every mans rights

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

And a well-earned retirement it is Mr. Mo. I hope you are enjoying it in style.

mike robel
E5

Post by mike robel »

panzergator wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:36 am
You weren't far behind me. I finished AOAC in '79. Got my addiction to GHQ after the big AOAC Dunn-Kempf game session, too.
Well, Jim. We just missed each other in AOAC. I went in JAN - JUL -80. ATDT.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Now you have me trying to figure out the timeline. I started AOAC in July of '78 abd reported to Ft Polk in April of '79, but I think the course was only 6 months long. What the hell was I doing? TBTI